Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
codesharing isn't terribly useful, but FF reciprocity would be great. I can say I'd be much more likely to book on B6 if I could earn AAdvantage miles rather than B6's lousy points.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Exactly. This aspect of the announcement adds ZERO value to NYC-based fliers. We don't regularly have the need to interline through our home airport. @:-)
But, assuming this expands into codesharing or FF reciprocity (or any agreement in which we can earn AA EQMs), then it adds MUCH value to people outside of JFK. IE - myself... DEN-JFK - onward would be a very nice option for me, especially with B6's midnight take-off that gets into JFK at 6 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by entropy
codesharing isn't terribly useful, but FF reciprocity would be great. I can say I'd be much more likely to book on B6 if I could earn AAdvantage miles rather than B6's lousy points.

Codesharing allows your B6 flights to count for AA elite status (if certain B6 fare classes are excluded (just as most CX fare classes are excluded from AA EQM, to name one example)).

Hopefully, AA and B6 will soon provide some sort of code sharing or good B6 earning opportunities that count for AA status.

I look forward to the day when I can finally dump Turd Blue (which is a terrible FF program that requires constant effort to chase down missing points) for AA's program. And since B6 flies to many Northeast places that AA does not, this would help plug some geographic holes in AA's route system.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by JDiver
We can hope in some not-so-distant future B6 and AA could codeshare. SMF-JFK on B6 as an AA codeshare, transferring to AA transocean service would be, sorry for the hackneyed word, awesome. Otherwise, DFW is IT from here.
Interlining so that I have one ticket and can through-check bags AUS-JFK-xxx would be good. It would be even nicer if there was an airside bus between the two JFK terminals to avoid a second trip through security. I don't need the status and I'd happily forego the domestic miles just for the simplicity and the better B6 coach product. If they manage to tie the FF schemes so much the better, though I suspect Lufthansa will have an opinion about integration of TrueBlue II into OneWorld!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by entropy
And that's one of the benefits of codesharing, so I'm not sure why you feel codesharing isn't useful?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
I guess I just don't see much benefit to this partnership. As far as I can tell one will NOT receive AAdvantage miles for flights on B6 and since B6 generally flies out different terminals in the major airports, connections will require exactly the same efforts.

So how is this good news for us? It sounds like things will be exactly the same for us then as they are now. Unless this is a step towards codeshares I think we should be quite ambivalent about this news.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:27 am

JFK T8 to T7 connection

Whether this should be a new thread, or remain in this one, I for one am looking forward to an expanded AA Terminal 8 at JFK (which was only built to half the planned size) that is also connected to Terminal 7 airside.

This would greatly simplify AA to BA connections (assuming ATI) and finally allow AA customers to access the BA lounges!

A simple, automated people mover shuttle between the two terminals (spanning the JFK Expressway) with post security access on both ends would help. Initially, an airside bus connecting T8 to T7 and T5 could provide immediate benefits.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I guess I just don't see much benefit to this partnership. As far as I can tell one will NOT receive AAdvantage miles for flights on B6 and since B6 generally flies out different terminals in the major airports, connections will require exactly the same efforts.

So how is this good news for us? It sounds like things will be exactly the same for us then as they are now. Unless this is a step towards codeshares I think we should be quite ambivalent about this news.

This move helps pull B6 from being sucked in to the Star Alliance orbit.

And while FF and code shares are not announced, it is at least a first step.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Asked directly about service to Africa:

"We'll do that through partnerships. Particularly what we have with BA through Heathrow. I think direct service is probably improbable."

So much for MIA-JNB.....I don't care so much about having to transit through London as I often see friends/have work meetings there when traveling to Africa. What I would LOVE is better coverage within Africa and more destinations from Europe to Africa. Its too bad that BA will prob never fly to NDJ...I'd settle for ADD and RAK.

More to the point, assuming reciprocity for frequent flier accrual I think this is a GREAT agreement. AA is acknowledging the reality of LCC pressure in the US and not trying to compete when its not set up to compete. Its the best of both worlds. I love that AA is getting into bed with my favorite US LCC. (Ok so I'm a little biased against VA and WN because I live in NY.) There are often times that I'd like to take B6 but end up on DL because of a lack of frequent flier earning potential. I really hope this leads to earning AA miles on B6 flights that do not include an AA segment (e.g. JFK-PWM or JFK-RIC). Although that might be wishful thinking.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by bennytma
So much for MIA-JNB....
Not all. We won't see it soon, but this continues to be a strong 787 candidate.

I really hope this leads to earning AA miles on B6 flights that do not include an AA segment (e.g. JFK-PWM or JFK-RIC). Although that might be wishful thinking.
This is only step one. AA and B6 are discussing plans to have FF integration and mileage earning as step two.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
while i'm happy to see the cooperation, without an eventual AA codeshare in competing markets, i will likely not fly B6, since i don't travel to the non-competing markets covered by this agreement.

i don't know the airline industry inside and out, but i'm hard pressed to see any logistical benefit to travelers without an airside terminal connection, other than both companies changing fare rules to allow for longer than 24h stopovers, which likely exist already, but no one asks about b/c they book online instead of calling in to get the ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not all. We won't see it soon, but this continues to be a strong 787 candidate.

This is only step one. AA and B6 are discussing plans to have FF integration and mileage earning as step two.

Thanks MAH4546. Good to know. Do you have any specific insight as to what this means for Jetblue and oneworld other than this is a step in that direction? Arpey was pretty rosy about Jetblue when asked whether this agreement meant Jetblue would be on its way to joining oneworld. I assume B6 joining is a long way off as Frankfurt is undoubtedly not too pleased at the moment and still holds a stake in B6......

Last edited by bennytma; Mar 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:53 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Incidentally, if reciprocity does come thru, B6's JFK-BQN service would afford very convenient access to western Puerto Rico for divers interested in Desecheo, Mona, and the Parguera wall!

(As opposed to the 2-hour, middle-of-the-night, cross-island drive I did from SJU-Parguera last time )
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:58 am
SK

According to the B6 Blog,

JetBlue be offering connecting service from the following cities:

Buffalo, N.Y. (BUF)
Burlington, Vt. (BTV)
Denver (DEN)
Fort Myers, Fla. (RSW)
Houston (HOU)
Jacksonville, Fla. (JAX)
Nantucket, Mass. (ACK)
New Orleans (MSY)
Phoenix (PHX)
Portland, Maine (PWM)
Portland, Ore. (PDX)
Richmond, Va. (RIC)
Rochester, N.Y. (ROC)
Salt Lake City (SLC)
Sarasota, Fla. (SRQ)
Syracuse, N.Y. (SYR)
Washington, D.C./Dulles (IAD)
West Palm Beach, Fla. (PBI)

And connections will be available to the following international cities served by American:

Barcelona, Spain (BCN)
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
London, UK (LHR)
Madrid, Spain (MAD)
Manchester, UK (MAN)
Milan, Italy (MXP)
Paris, France (CDG)
Rome, Italy (FCO)
Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)
Tokyo, Japan (NRT)
Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)

Originally Posted by amejr999
Lots more details on the B6 blog at

http://blog.hellojetblue.com/blog/
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I am thrilled with the announced expansion between LGA and CLT.

This summer I will be moving to the Hudson Valley area and was not at all happy with the AA prices from NYC-CLT. $400 vs. $180-$210 for DL and *A carriers. Hopefully this will bring AA in line with the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.