Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
Dear Diet Elites
lol I need a clarification on the meaning here
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
Dear Diet Elites,

Go away.

Sincerely,
16/46 on the SEA-ANC upgrade list

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

(since someone will ask, O fare, booked 8/22/2021)
SEA <-> ANC has been rough this year. I have received exactly 1 upgrade on 24+ flights on that route – exclusively on Y/B/M fares. Additionally, I have ended up in middle, non-elite seats numerous times.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sturges
SEA <-> ANC has been rough this year. I have received exactly 1 upgrade on 24+ flights on that route – exclusively on Y/B/M fares. Additionally, I have ended up in middle, non-elite seats numerous times.
Not sure how that happens. As a 75K you can select a PE seat at booking unless you are buying saver fares. Only once this year did I end up in a PE middle seat and that was after I changed flights on a SDC.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Bob you silver tongue devil and by the by there is a Chili's at ANC !! Never never go in there when the crab fisherman are sitting at the bar before flying home
Chili's at the start of the C gates closed years ago. Humpy's moved in. That is a serious upgrade from Chili's IMHO. Unless Chili's moved into the B terminal, they are no longer at ANC.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
lol I need a clarification on the meaning here
Not exactly cryptic, but sure. People that wouldn’t normally be [elite tier] by flying, but are due to 50% EQM bonus, CC spend EQM bonus, extension.

I think it was a smart move overall to offer these incentives. AS doesn’t want people leaving for status elsewhere and understands some people still aren’t traveling. But I think it’s reasonable to differentiate those who actually flew/earned via traditional metrics.

DL is partly addressing this for 2022. Those who earned status by flying are ranked above those who were extended.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOB W
Chili's at the start of the C gates closed years ago. Humpy's moved in. That is a serious upgrade from Chili's IMHO. Unless Chili's moved into the B terminal, they are no longer at ANC.

Was testing you !!! No I was just "remembering" catching those damn 0130 am flights back to Seattle and seeing the crabbers pounding them down !! I wonder how long it took to get all the roaches out?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Do you need to fly 10K miles or do you need 10K EQM? There is a 50% EQM bonus on all AS flights through the year end so in Main/Saver you would only need 6,667 actual flown miles to earn 10K EQM. You can also earn on Partner flights. You just need to make sure that you have or will have flown at least 4 segments on AS in 2021.

In discount F you would only need to fly 4,445 miles to earn 10K EQM so a single return in F from JFK to the West Coast would get you there.
That's a great point. Unfortunately for me, I have no desire to blow $1100 on a Christmas Eve PDX trip with a 15-hour overnight I guess there is always next year!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Dec 16, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by BOB W
Not sure how that happens. As a 75K you can select a PE seat at booking unless you are buying saver fares. Only once this year did I end up in a PE middle seat and that was after I changed flights on a SDC.
You can select PE at booking if there are any seats available. Company doesn’t allow saver fares, so I never book those (and they aren’t even offered when coming from BET). The last few times I flew on the 1:30a flight, there were none (including exit rows) available 3 weeks out. I ended up in the middle. The other times were because company booked my ticket 5-10 days out.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
price drop

If I book a trip for next year and the price drops will the fare difference go into my Wallet or back to my credit card?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
If I book a trip for next year and the price drops will the fare difference go into my Wallet or back to my credit card?
It depends on what type of ticket you book. First, know it's not automatic.. You'll have to check periodically to see if the price changes, then cancel or change your booked itinerary to a new one/change it back to your current dates. If you book a fully refundable ticket, that will go back to your credit card. If you book a non-refundable ticket, it will go to your wallet.
philemer and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
It depends on what type of ticket you book. First, know it's not automatic.. You'll have to check periodically to see if the price changes, then cancel or change your booked itinerary to a new one/change it back to your current dates. If you book a fully refundable ticket, that will go back to your credit card. If you book a non-refundable ticket, it will go to your wallet.
Nonrefundable, Main Cabin. Thanks!!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
hey guys, newbie to AS here and base in HNL, got any tips for me? thanks
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
hey guys, newbie to AS here and base in HNL, got any tips for me? thanks
I'm a somewhat recent resident of Maui and do a lot of flights to the west coast. Prior to a couple years ago I hardly flew so this whole FF program thing was quite a learning curve. There's a ton of good info here and some REALLY knowledgeable folks that are quick to help.

I'd start by understanding how the mileage programs work - RDM (spendable miles) v. EQM (status building miles)
Fare classes and booking is quite a rabbit hole. A couple years in and I still stumble upon things I don't know.
Once you attain some status, understanding how the upgrades work can be beneficial.

Overall, I'm super-happy with AS but that's not to say things get annoying from time to time. There's a pretty steady stream of IT mishaps and glitches but that may just be life with any airline in today's "techie" world. AS has a solid presence to/from Hawaii so you made a good choice.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
As this year winds down I have a question mostly for the lot of us that have been here a long time the question is where do you see Alaska Air going forward with the new management team? Ok, things are changing I get that and see it everyday having said that there are many of us out there that have a lot "invested" in Alaska I know I do just look at my flat %%&^% I think I'll ask for a 2C seat for retirement. Having had the opportunity to be around mingle with the new team I see a different Alaska Air emerging I also see some of the "hometown" airline leaving us. Of course That really started when they stopped sending out Christmas cookies never the same !!

I for one still feel the partnering up with AA was a mistake what did we really get from One World ? Frankly for us that fly international on a regular basics not much, looking at the award charts for example BA is still over all the best redemption compare and you will see. We traded EK for Qatar. AA is well known for stiffing us international upgrades and award seating other than main cabin, I am speaking from the west coast to Europe sucks. Maybe with Parker going out things may change but rarely does a zebra change its stripes.

For me I am on the downside of business travel those 100K years are over and I look back with no regret keeping AS as my main squeeze going forward what's your thoughts ?

Happy Holidays to everyone, you too Bob W don't for get to order more Chili
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
For me I am on the downside of business travel those 100K years are over and I look back with no regret keeping AS as my main squeeze going forward what's your thoughts ?

Happy Holidays to everyone, you too Bob W don't forget to order more Chili
edgewood49, I feel your pain. I retired a couple of years ago and thought my years with top level status were over. As a 1MM I will always be Gold with AS and with the 2020 miles rollover and 2021 Bonus EQM's I have managed to make it to 100K for 2022. Unless AS does something really wild, I doubt I will even be 75K for 2023. Based in ANC and with family in DEN will keep me flying and I see no reason to switch to any other carrier.

Pizza for lunch with friends today but chili with lots of cheese, Jalapenos and sour cream sounds great for dinner tonight
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.