Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Oh it's getting that bad, AS is milking this one good. That coupled with the lousy speed because of the old equipment AS has makes it hard to swallow. At least I get 10 free passes from AMeX and save those for cross country and buy my shorter flights online before flight time, doesn't mean I like it. It's akin to the damn Boardrooms.
Interesting, I was actually just thinking how impressed I was with the wi-fi this morning in the PDX BR. The room was nearly full and I had an amazingly good speed.

I purchased my online pass today for $17 I think, and that doesn't make me happy with the ultra-spotty speed and connection. However, I suffer from an affliction where I get anxiety when I don't have an internet connection. I'm a lost cause.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AKDan
Interesting, I was actually just thinking how impressed I was with the wi-fi this morning in the PDX BR. The room was nearly full and I had an amazingly good speed.

I purchased my online pass today for $17 I think, and that doesn't make me happy with the ultra-spotty speed and connection. However, I suffer from an affliction where I get anxiety when I don't have an internet connection. I'm a lost cause.
I was referring to onboard wifi !
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Oh it's getting that bad, AS is milking this one good. That coupled with the lousy speed because of the old equipment AS has makes it hard to swallow. At least I get 10 free passes from AMeX and save those for cross country and buy my shorter flights online before flight time, doesn't mean I like it. It's akin to the damn Boardrooms.
Does AS control the wifi pricing? I thought Gogo did.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Does AS control the wifi pricing? I thought Gogo did.
I have seen different price points on various airlines most of which in the US use Go Go. But not sure. If it was "standardized" you would see the same prices even on Go Go's website.

In any event it's too damn high for the quality of service.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Going to take a risk and ruin it for myself if/once this spreads like wildfire ..... but I have a $3/mon pay as you go plan with t-mobile -- which works to get 1hr free in-flight wifi (for each segment too, score!)

Tempted to try scaling this and get one or two more burner numbers ...

Fortunately for me, my AS flight patterns cause me to be asleep for most of my longer flights, so 1hr/segment works plenty fine
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I have seen different price points on various airlines most of which in the US use Go Go. But not sure. If it was "standardized" you would see the same prices even on Go Go's website.

In any event it's too damn high for the quality of service.
DL (and AS it seems from their web site?) are still $16 when purchased directly from the airline, although then I imagine it is only good on that particular airline's flights. Which is interesting because Gogo's generic day pass is now $19.

I have 12 single-flight passes from the US Banks FlexPerks VISA which I tend to use on long TCONs, and buy the $16 day pass when I anticipate wanting to use it on both segments of a connecting itinerary...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
DL (and AS it seems from their web site?) are still $16 when purchased directly from the airline, although then I imagine it is only good on that particular airline's flights. Which is interesting because Gogo's generic day pass is now $19.

I have 12 single-flight passes from the US Banks FlexPerks VISA which I tend to use on long TCONs, and buy the $16 day pass when I anticipate wanting to use it on both segments of a connecting itinerary...
Problem is pricing is all over the place, airline, then duration of flight etc. Frustrating to say the least. If the speed was reliable that would be one thing
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Problem is pricing is all over the place, airline, then duration of flight etc. Frustrating to say the least. If the speed was reliable that would be one thing
But the pricing is fixed (and much cheaper, relatively) if you buy in advance. And the passes are good for a year if you change your mind about using one once on board, so there's probably little risk for most active FTers to buy one before the flight if you think you'll use it.

For short flights Gogo sells a 1-hour pass for $7 in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
But the pricing is fixed (and much cheaper, relatively) if you buy in advance. And the passes are good for a year if you change your mind about using one once on board, so there's probably little risk for most active FTers to buy one before the flight if you think you'll use it.

For short flights Gogo sells a 1-hour pass for $7 in advance.
Yeppers buy them all the time
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Monday I had to fly down to Orange County went into BR sign out front NO PP Now I have not renewed my BR after 14 years due to the lack of anything from AS. I do however fly FC so I am good. In talking to the staff there they explained the issue, but it was not until I witnessed the PP rush did I fully understand. About an hour or so after the long haul flights left the clubroom cleared out, they took the sign off and there was a RUSH of PP coming in, almost like they were lurking !! within 5 minutes they had to cut it off again.

Total disaster for PP and AS. American Express Centurion rooms are also being jammed. This whole issue of PP etc needs to be addressed pretty damn fast. LAX was the same last week.

Bottom line I can see and understand AS on this. Remember they get $25 a pop
When I was denied entry at the PDX lounge, they told me I could check back in 20 minutes or so, but that was about all the time I had before leaving for EWR so that didn't work for me....however if they are telling all the PP folks to check back at a certain time, I can see why it may end up creating what looks like a "rush".
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have seen different price points on various airlines most of which in the US use Go Go. In any event it's too damn high for the quality of service.
I'm sitting on a Norwegian Airlines 737-800 right now flying between London and Helsinki. The Wi-Fi is free and the speed is MUCH better than anything I've experienced on Alaska.

It just goes to show you can have decent internet speed and service on an airplane and, while I don't mind paying for the service, I won't pay for really slow service - which pretty much defines Go-Go's product as offered on Alaska.

Go-Go has got to go.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm sitting on a Norwegian Airlines 737-800 right now flying between London and Helsinki.
Sounds like one of your trip reports may be coming out soon. ^
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was on a Na Pali coast sunset cruise last night here in Kauai and ran into AS's destination photographer. I wonder how he scored that gig.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I was on a Na Pali coast sunset cruise last night here in Kauai and ran into AS's destination photographer. I wonder how he scored that gig.
Damn. Never have done that yet.

Kauai No Ka Oi.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Sounds like one of your trip reports may be coming out soon. ^
You want a trip report on all-economy LCC Norwegian Airlines? For a Low Cost Carrier, they're a good operation. Seat pitch was surprisingly good as European LCCs go - about 31", maybe even 32". Only $74.00 one way to Helsinki from Gatwick - 1150 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.