Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BOB W

I have been upgraded three or four times within the last six weeks after selecting a meal in the main cabin. In every case I was asked by the F flight attendant whether I would like the meal in first class or the one I had selected from the back. At least twice I chose the one from the back and there was never a question of whether I had to pay for it or not. It was simply presented in place of the F meal. Also, in both cases I was extremely glad that I had the meal from the main cabin because what was offered upfront was very unappetizing.
BOB W, can you please elaborate on the difference between a regular unappetizing offering and one that is very unappetizing? If you've got an unappetization meter (oh,isn't that a great new word), can you please diagram at what level you'd eat the food, and what level you won't?
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
BOB W, can you please elaborate on the difference between a regular unappetizing offering and one that is very unappetizing? If you've got an unappetization meter (oh,isn't that a great new word), can you please diagram at what level you'd eat the food, and what level you won't?
One really good example. On a recent breakfast flight, I had preordered the Sunrise Breakfast Sandwich in whY. After moving to 2F, the FA asked if I wanted the F sandwich or the one from whY. I chose the latter and am very glad I did. The F sandwich looked limp, the top had slid half way off of the bottom and looked like it had some sort of green (Arugula maybe?) that had cooked into slime oozing out on the plate. The only thing better on the F plate was the fruit. I still got the hot towel and smoothie.

Full disclosure...as a 1MM I would get the meal for free in whY. It would be an interesting conversation if they ever asked me to pay in F. It should not matter where I am sitting.

Also, I rarely am asked any more if they will use the Prosecco from whY for my Mimosas. Most seem to already understand that it is much better than the canned bubbles in F.

I won't eat the food when the chicken is better used for hard soled sandals for my Granddaughter and the Romesco sauce is better used as a traction aid. But that is another post.....

Last edited by BOB W; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
One really good example. On a recent breakfast flight, I had preordered the Sunrise Breakfast Sandwich in whY. After moving to 2F, the FA asked if I wanted the F sandwich or the one from whY. I chose the latter and am very glad I did. The F sandwich looked limp, the top had slid half way off of the bottom and looked like it had some sort of green (Arugula maybe?) that had cooked into slime oozing out on the plate. The only thing better on the F plate was the fruit. I still got the hot towel and smoothie.

Full disclosure...as a 1MM I would get the meal for free in whY. It would be an interesting conversation if they ever asked me to pay in F. It should not matter where I am sitting.

Also, I rarely am asked any more if they will use the Prosecco from whY for my Mimosas. Most seem to already understand that it is much better than the canned bubbles in F.

I won't eat the food when the chicken is better used for hard soled sandals for my Granddaughter and the Romesco sauce is better used as a traction aid. But that is another post.....

Bob, try this one for size, red eye to ORD at 3am more or less there is an odor coming from the galley, and it's the same old lame hot, they called it turkey sandwich scaled down, you have to be kidding me. Most people are/were sleeping until that smell rolled through the cabin. Yesterday 2.3 hour flight at 630am drinks and chips. I would have gladly paid even in FC for some real or marginally real protein.

Still waiting for my mm bag tags !
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:19 pm

enhanced credit card

I have often wondered why AS has not gotten into the enhanced credit card business their current card is good but I sit here looking at my Amex PLT and my Sapphire Reserve and their associated costs wondering why AS will not offer a card that has for example access to the lounges, no foreign transaction fees, etc that the upper end cards to. As I slow down traveling professionally I am looking at some consolidation that coupled with being a MM makes AS more attractive. If it were not for that fact then maybe another carrier card

Any thoughts out there ? Becko I know your there
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
There was a thread awhile back where people daydreamed their concepts of what a higher tier AS card would look like... something in the $500 annual fee range like some of the other premium travel cards. Idea's included:
- Enhanced Companion Fare that works w/First Class
- Alaska Lounge Membership (or extreme discounted membership price)
- Travel rebates

There were other ideas of course...but I think the main problem with it is that really it's up to BofA, the issuer of the cards, not so much up to AS... and apparently BofA doesn't currently dabble in that premium card market.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this rant, so dropping it here. Yesterday on my LAX-BOS flight, I was in 17D (pmVX Airbus), a premium class seat. During boarding, seatmaps were showing 17E was empty, and while I was bummed not to get an F upgrade this flight, I was at least excited to have some extra breathing room. Before takeoff, I used the lav and was chatting with FAs in the galley, returning to my seat to find someone sitting in 17E. Oh well, must've been a standby pax or new seat assignment I thought. However, seat maps still showed that seat empty, and FAs brought an item for 18F (empty) from a passenger in a forward row, and she said "oh that's me, I'll take it." I was hoping during service that the FAs would've noticed the seat was meant to be empty while checking elite status and would ask her to move, but nope, she was offered her choice of PC snack, beverages, etc. Despite the few inches of legroom, I don't think I'd personally move myself to a middle seat from a window or aisle. She didn't even have alcohol, so it's not like she was taking advantage of that, either.

Not wanting to be a tattle tale or cause in-flight drama for FAs or other pax, I didn't say anything, but it was certainly annoying. Not to mention she kept putting her feet up in the seat pocket, several times knocking her smoothie she brought on board onto the floor/spilling it onto my legs (didn't even notice or apologize, btw). I guess my question is - what is the best course of action in instances like this? What benefit does elite status "upgrade" or paying for PC seats add if other passengers just move themselves there without any policing by FAs? I'll definitely include a note in my Alaska Listens feedback, but I doubt they'll listen/do much.
like you, I'd have basically been non-confrontational ... but at that point I would have hit the FA call button and raised holy h3ll (albeit as discreetly as possible) about the situation that was due to someone who self-upgraded

in future, a screen shot of the seat map and upgrade list at the time the door closes would probably be good to have as supporting evidence

(the cynic in me, from reading hundreds if not thousands of the DYKWIA stories on the DL board, almost makes me think she was a non-rev and knew at least one of the FAs)
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
There was a thread awhile back where people daydreamed their concepts of what a higher tier AS card would look like... something in the $500 annual fee range like some of the other premium travel cards. Idea's included:
- Enhanced Companion Fare that works w/First Class
- Alaska Lounge Membership (or extreme discounted membership price)
- Travel rebates

There were other ideas of course...but I think the main problem with it is that really it's up to BofA, the issuer of the cards, not so much up to AS... and apparently BofA doesn't currently dabble in that premium card market.
I remember a questionnaire when I was on some form of passenger survey list and thought it was a great idea and still do. I agree BOA is not much for innovation when it comes to CC's , their more "meat and potato's" company. That is sad especially since DL/UA/AA have these cards and make a sizable amount of income on them. I think DL leads the way with some ungodly amount of revenue from their Amex cards. Maybe someone at AS will look at this again, there is always Chase Bank.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

While I appreciate your comprehensive and graphic reply, I still don't understand what you consider the line between unappetizing and very unappetizing. At least, no matter how unappetizing, you can always wash it down with a glass or two of Shattow Saint Pyook.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
While I appreciate your comprehensive and graphic reply, I still don't understand what you consider the line between unappetizing and very unappetizing. At least, no matter how unappetizing, you can always wash it down with a glass or two of Shattow Saint Pyook.
It's an extremely fine line between the two, sometimes dependent on the wine in the little bottles from the back I suppose "very" would be when nothing on the tray is edible.
Eastbay1K likes this.

Last edited by BOB W; Aug 31, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this rant, so dropping it here. Yesterday on my LAX-BOS flight, I was in 17D (pmVX Airbus), a premium class seat. During boarding, seatmaps were showing 17E was empty, and while I was bummed not to get an F upgrade this flight, I was at least excited to have some extra breathing room. Before takeoff, I used the lav and was chatting with FAs in the galley, returning to my seat to find someone sitting in 17E. Oh well, must've been a standby pax or new seat assignment I thought. However, seat maps still showed that seat empty, and FAs brought an item for 18F (empty) from a passenger in a forward row, and she said "oh that's me, I'll take it." I was hoping during service that the FAs would've noticed the seat was meant to be empty while checking elite status and would ask her to move, but nope, she was offered her choice of PC snack, beverages, etc. Despite the few inches of legroom, I don't think I'd personally move myself to a middle seat from a window or aisle. She didn't even have alcohol, so it's not like she was taking advantage of that, either.

Not wanting to be a tattle tale or cause in-flight drama for FAs or other pax, I didn't say anything, but it was certainly annoying. Not to mention she kept putting her feet up in the seat pocket, several times knocking her smoothie she brought on board onto the floor/spilling it onto my legs (didn't even notice or apologize, btw). I guess my question is - what is the best course of action in instances like this? What benefit does elite status "upgrade" or paying for PC seats add if other passengers just move themselves there without any policing by FAs? I'll definitely include a note in my Alaska Listens feedback, but I doubt they'll listen/do much.
Best course of action? It's a crapshoot.

I was sitting by the window in the last row of PE with no one else beside me, when after the seat belt sign turned off a pleasant, middle-aged leisure-travel couple hesitantly moved themselves up from main to sit next to me. Grrrrrr. I considered saying something to the FAs but decided against it. I’m glad I held off. It turned out that they were MVPs (recently minted?) but were never upgraded prior to boarding. Their understanding (which I gleaned over time) was that they could move themselves up once the doors closed. Had I complained, I don’t think it would have gone well for me, whether or not their changing seats was by the book. That doesn’t sound like the situation you described, but for me, without more background information, I doubt I would have said anything to your interloper either. Easier for me to order another drink and burrow deeper into my book.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well this is fun. It still knows to charge you for Premium if you're not already in Premium but on all my upcoming flights, every single seat (other than my seat, which it's correctly stored) is showing as open for selection. I'm sure a few people are gonna wind up having seating issues over this...

[edit] Already gone, and it was only on desktop. Mobile was still showing things correctly (I do think the Premium pricing was off $10 on one of the flights while the glitch was happening). I was not brave enough to risk my seats and try picking a different seat.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I have often wondered why AS has not gotten into the enhanced credit card business their current card is good but I sit here looking at my Amex PLT and my Sapphire Reserve and their associated costs wondering why AS will not offer a card that has for example access to the lounges, no foreign transaction fees, etc that the upper end cards to. As I slow down traveling professionally I am looking at some consolidation that coupled with being a MM makes AS more attractive. If it were not for that fact then maybe another carrier card

Any thoughts out there ? Becko I know your there
Existing card does not have foreign transaction fees, and I personally think $25 lounge day pass is a nice benefit, at least at the new SEA N lounge (haven't been in the others).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They're coming around taking our orders in first for once we're in the air (no pdbs despite perfectly smooth and on time boarding) and I found it interesting that they were thanking the MVPGs for being Gold but not me for being MVP. I don't care or anything, I just noticed it and thought it was funny, if anything.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
They're coming around taking our orders in first for once we're in the air (no pdbs despite perfectly smooth and on time boarding) and I found it interesting that they were thanking the MVPGs for being Gold but not me for being MVP. I don't care or anything, I just noticed it and thought it was funny, if anything.
Noticed the same on our last flight. making a big deal to thank 75’s for their loyalty and continued patronage. Some of us looked amused. Not one mention to MVP’s. The guy across aisle chucked and said we must not matter any more. I just shrugged. Only time I get a thank you is when I call the MVP phone line.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Noticed the same on our last flight. making a big deal to thank 75’s for their loyalty and continued patronage. Some of us looked amused. Not one mention to MVP’s. The guy across aisle chucked and said we must not matter any more. I just shrugged. Only time I get a thank you is when I call the MVP phone line.
Well I am still waiting for me MM bag tags after a year, two letters and four calls! As for recognition it's touch and go these days more defaulting to the lack of, not that I expect it, just hot coffee and service makes me a happy camper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.