Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking to book CX Award booking on AS Miles online. I wanted to know the award cancellation cost. On their website, it states:

For partner award bookings.
Partner award bookings made on or after May 1, 2021 may be canceled online for no fee.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...my-reservation

However I cannot cancel CX award online, and have to call the call center to cancel, do I have to pay a fee? If so, how much do I have to pay?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am looking to book CX Award booking on AS Miles online. I wanted to know the award cancellation cost. On their website, it states:

For partner award bookings.
Partner award bookings made on or after May 1, 2021 may be canceled online for no fee.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...my-reservation

However I cannot cancel CX award online, and have to call the call center to cancel, do I have to pay a fee? If so, how much do I have to pay?
The award can be canceled online. Whther online or via an AS agent, there are no fees. The miles will be reinstated to your account and the fees & taxes will be credited back to your original form of payment.

James
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:46 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Hi,
I’m a complete noobie with AS and hoping to check my thoughts on Premium Class upgrade.

I am BAEC Silver so Oneworld Sapphire and made a rewards booking through BA. Flights are AUS-SEA. I’ve been able to select exit row seat in elite section at no extra cost.
I’m being offered an upgrade to Premium class for $75 which I’m kinda tempted to do, but I’m not sure it will give me much benefit?? Possible slightly more leg room?? As I understand it, I will be able to get beverage and early boarding??
And a separate q on food. What are likely to be my best options if I want to get something to eat?

thanks in advance
It would be less leg room than the exit row; on a 737-900ER PC is 34.5" of pitch, the exit rows are 37.5" (although note that row 16 does not recline). The main advantage is free premium beverages, earlier boarding in Group B, and being closer to the front of the plane for faster disembarking. As a oneworld Sapphire member the priority boarding for paying for premium is of no benefit to you as you'll board in Group A anyway. So probably not worth the $75.

For food, many of the food options require you to pre-order at least 20 hours before your flight, but there are also a few buy-on-board options. See https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The award can be canceled online. Whther online or via an AS agent, there are no fees. The miles will be reinstated to your account and the fees & taxes will be credited back to your original form of payment.

James
This is a CX award though. Isn't the $12.50 partner award booking fee nonrefundable? The rest of any taxes/fees will get refunded, yes.
​​​
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by remyjette
This is a CX award though. Isn't the $12.50 partner award booking fee nonrefundable? The rest of any taxes/fees will get refunded, yes.
​​​
Correct! The partner award booking fee is non-refundable unless you cancel within 24 hours of purchase. The refund of fees & taxes sans the partner booking fee usually processes within a week. AS will say 7 days but my experience has been within 4 days.

James
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:29 am

No miles credited after purchase

Hi all,

I bought some miles 1 hour ago and my account is still showing zero. With other airlines, my account is credited automatically after purchase

Is the time lag normal for Alaska?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:33 pm
HLU

Upgrade Question

Hello, I have lowly Ruby/Gold status via AA. I have two Alaska seats booked using Q fares and are currently offered a paid upgrade to Premium Class. If I take the paid upgrade, am I eligible for a Gold upgrade to First if space is available? Or is the best I can do is hold out to see if I may get free upgrades to Premium? Another question - and sorry for being uninformed - they are offering me the upgrade for $55 each, but if I booked fresh tickets now, it would only be $20 more each. Since Q is non-refundable, is there any play here? Thanks so much for any insight shared.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by HLU
Hello, I have lowly Ruby/Gold status via AA. I have two Alaska seats booked using Q fares and are currently offered a paid upgrade to Premium Class. If I take the paid upgrade, am I eligible for a Gold upgrade to First if space is available? Or is the best I can do is hold out to see if I may get free upgrades to Premium? Another question - and sorry for being uninformed - they are offering me the upgrade for $55 each, but if I booked fresh tickets now, it would only be $20 more each. Since Q is non-refundable, is there any play here? Thanks so much for any insight shared.
If you pay to upgrade to premium, you would still stay on the upgrade list for first, however no refund will be issued for the premium class upgrade fee if you do clear into first. As a AA Gold you would be at the end of the upgrade list, after AS MVPs.

As a AA Gold member you can swap seats to a Premium Class seat for free up to 24 hours before departure.

Alaska no longer has cancellation or change fees. If a ticket is nonrefundable, you can still cancel it and get credit (for both the fare and the premium upgrade fee) for use to book a future flight. However, wallet credit can only be used for airfare; it cannot be used to upgrade a future flight to premium class.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
I have a flight leaving tonight in a few hours. These are last legs with AS on mile redemtion for JAL, for which I had already flown on international with JAL months ago.
I had made the date change previously on this one AFTER I already flew with JAL last april.
I had spoken on phone with multiple agents to get this one changed to later date. They all first said stop over wasn't allowed in US cities so I kept asking to be transferred.
Long story short, the last agent who seemed to be a higher-up superviser firmly states that

'Once the one way ticket is (partially) flown, ticket has no value and cannot ever be changed'

'I would not even get a refund on tax on my domestic legs even if I cancel since this has no value'

'I was being given exceptions after exceptions every time I called for being 75k but she wouln't do it agin for me'

I did not ask for any special treatment, like ever. Everything she said to me today was so shockingly new to me.
Can somebody chime in on this to enlighten me? Yes, part of me still doesn't believe her however firly she was. lol
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:38 pm

Did the JFK lounge stop taking Priority Pass? It was the last time I was there a few months ago, but it's no longer listed on the Priority Pass site. Anyone know if that's a temporary or permanent thing? Terminal 7 is going to be pretty bleak without that
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
My wife and I are flying LAX-HNL on Sunday and are #2-3 on the upgrade list with 4 seats available. My question regards the Pre order food and the 20 hour cut off time. Do you think we should hold out and not purchase pre ordered food in the hope we get the seats up front or pre order the food in premium class and just take the loss if we do get upgraded?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Did the JFK lounge stop taking Priority Pass? It was the last time I was there a few months ago, but it's no longer listed on the Priority Pass site. Anyone know if that's a temporary or permanent thing? Terminal 7 is going to be pretty bleak without that
Yeah, this was posted about a week ago in another thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34944082-post7591.html

Most likely permanent given that they've restricted day passes at JFK to only those flying on AS or another oneworld airline.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
My wife and I are flying LAX-HNL on Sunday and are #2-3 on the upgrade list with 4 seats available. My question regards the Pre order food and the 20 hour cut off time. Do you think we should hold out and not purchase pre ordered food in the hope we get the seats up front or pre order the food in premium class and just take the loss if we do get upgraded?
Personally I prefer to bring food from the terminal anyway over the fruit and cheese plate, so I know what decision I'd make. I'd definitely wait until T-20, since you might just get upgraded between now and then and can always pre-order up to that point.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you won't have any "loss" to take. When you order paid meals, you can always reject those. You don't get charged until you actually accept them on board. When you're upgraded, you won't get charged for the preordered food.

Edit: I guess I wonder if preordering in premium "breaks" the FC preorder system. I've not really tested that myself before, I'd hope not, but if that was to occur I'd assume it's not tough to fix.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by zdfld
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you won't have any "loss" to take. When you order paid meals, you can always reject those. You don't get charged until you actually accept them on board. When you're upgraded, you won't get charged for the preordered food.

Edit: I guess I wonder if preordering in premium "breaks" the FC preorder system. I've not really tested that myself before, I'd hope not, but if that was to occur I'd assume it's not tough to fix.
I have. Back in March of last year I pre-ordered the beet salad and then got upgraded at T-24. They offered me the salad and I declined, and I was never charged.

(Given the F meal they had, I should have taken the salad )

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.