Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:38 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by remyjette
Yes, you should have access to the lounge in both SEA and PDX on that itinerary. Both days are "the day of the flight" for an overnight flight.
Excellent. Thank you for the response. First time flying with Alaskan Airlines and looking forward to it.
1011TriStar is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:22 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,877
upgraded to first and put on standby?

First time I have had this issue. Got notification of upgrade (via email) shortly after I checked in on the app the day prior.
When I go to choose seats the next day (day of flight) I cannot. 2 of us and only 2 seats so easy. So I call and she assigned the seats. Then on the app it said I needed to checkin (boarding pass did not update so I tried to choose seat and it gave a message about checking in) but after going through it it told me to see agent at counter. I called in and agent said everything looks fine.
At airport counter agent can print boarding pass but not assign seats. But when looking at seat assignments she sees there is someone assigned.
Finally she tells us to ask at gate.
At gate he said somehow they put us on standby so when at the gate they checked us in it fixed it.
I did see us on the waitlist for standby earlier on the app and found that strange.
​​​​​​
Anybody know what went wrong?
Plenty of upgrades before and never issues.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:07 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by s0ssos
First time I have had this issue. Got notification of upgrade (via email) shortly after I checked in on the app the day prior.
When I go to choose seats the next day (day of flight) I cannot. 2 of us and only 2 seats so easy. So I call and she assigned the seats. Then on the app it said I needed to checkin (boarding pass did not update so I tried to choose seat and it gave a message about checking in) but after going through it it told me to see agent at counter. I called in and agent said everything looks fine.
At airport counter agent can print boarding pass but not assign seats. But when looking at seat assignments she sees there is someone assigned.
Finally she tells us to ask at gate.
At gate he said somehow they put us on standby so when at the gate they checked us in it fixed it.
I did see us on the waitlist for standby earlier on the app and found that strange.
​​​​​​
Anybody know what went wrong?
Plenty of upgrades before and never issues.
Sometimes when the system moves you around I've noticed It can get a bit confused when inventory buckets are low (maybe it tried to upgrade someone else or someone tried to use a GGU?) and if it gets confused it'll just drop things to the Awaiting Seats list for the gate agent to sort out.

On more than one occasion I've done a SDC that says I'm "confirmed" on the new flight, it specifically was *not* a request to standby, only for it to put me in the Awaiting Seats list unable to select a seat despite the seat map showing a single available seat. I ended up getting that seat at T-1hr when the flight went to gate agent control, but yeah just Alaska IT things.
remyjette is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:23 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 167
I've got an award flight coming up, HND-LAX on JAL. I'd like to use a stopover to tack on a "free one way" from LAX-IAD on AS to use later, but I'm not sure of the exact date. Would I be able to change the date for the LAX-IAD segment after the HND-LAX segment is complete?
JJ804 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:55 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 318
Is row 1 a good pick for a long flight on the 737?
I see seat guru has warning about limited leg room due to the bulkhead.
I'm thinking row 1 would be a better pick since no one will recline into your space, but if it comes with crappy leg room that's no good.
sinecure is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:03 pm
  #81  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Posts: 16,928
Originally Posted by sinecure
Is row 1 a good pick for a long flight on the 737?
I see seat guru has warning about limited leg room due to the bulkhead.
I'm thinking row 1 would be a better pick since no one will recline into your space, but if it comes with crappy leg room that's no good.
I am not the tallest but I flew a transcon redeye on it back in October and it was no worse than any of the other rows (just flew round trip JFK-SFO in row 3 a couple of weeks ago). These instances were on the 737NG and not a MAX, so it had the old thick dark seats and not the newer slimline gray ones, but you have no real way of knowing until a day or two before (unless it's an 800 or smaller).

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:03 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by sinecure
Is row 1 a good pick for a long flight on the 737?
I see seat guru has warning about limited leg room due to the bulkhead.
I'm thinking row 1 would be a better pick since no one will recline into your space, but if it comes with crappy leg room that's no good.
Which 737?

Regardless, that's not really true. SeatGuru isn't a really great resource, it's often outdated (they don't even have the 737 MAX 9 for Alaska, and many times on other arlines they're missing the config I'm flying)

You can take a look at diagrams of the seat layout at https://www.aerolopa.com/as-boeing-737, all of the variants are plenty roomy in row 1. The point SeatGuru makes of "proximity to lavatory and gallery may be bothersome" is valid for some people, more so in 1C/1D vs 1A/1F, but I don't really mind it. The lack of storage in front of you can matter if you want to have easy access to your belongings during flight. But the legroom is fine.
remyjette is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:21 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by remyjette
Which 737?

Regardless, that's not really true. SeatGuru isn't a really great resource, it's often outdated (they don't even have the 737 MAX 9 for Alaska, and many times on other arlines they're missing the config I'm flying)

You can take a look at diagrams of the seat layout at https://www.aerolopa.com/as-boeing-737, all of the variants are plenty roomy in row 1. The point SeatGuru makes of "proximity to lavatory and gallery may be bothersome" is valid for some people, more so in 1C/1D vs 1A/1F, but I don't really mind it. The lack of storage in front of you can matter if you want to have easy access to your belongings during flight. But the legroom is fine.
Thanks for the quick replies. I know SG is not great but old habits...
They are showing the 737-800 in the schedule. I don't mind the lack of storage on take off and landing since the flight is so long.
Sounds like there's no issue sticking with 1A.
sinecure is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:37 pm
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Posts: 16,928
Originally Posted by sinecure
Thanks for the quick replies. I know SG is not great but old habits...
They are showing the 737-800 in the schedule. I don't mind the lack of storage on take off and landing since the flight is so long.
Sounds like there's no issue sticking with 1A.
If it shows an 800 it will probably stay an 800. They really only bounce around between the 900ER and MAX-9.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:19 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Posts: 636
For an AS mileage ticket on Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG in J is there a possible onward flight? making CDG a stop over?
tobikosan is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:23 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by tobikosan
For an AS mileage ticket on Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG in J is there a possible onward flight? making CDG a stop over?
No. On AS you cannot create an award itinerary combining legs on separate partners, only one partner + legs on AS. You could have an AS leg connecting to LAX, that would work, but onward travel to somewhere else in Europe after CDG would not as Air Tahiti Nui doesn't fly there.
remyjette is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:29 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS
Posts: 2,298
We have award flight this fall on BA. From DEN . How can I find out if I can add SEA/ DEN segment to this award?
Award flight is in J.
When I look at SEA/DEN award on AS, it does not show me fare class, as I click through booking info.
Just show First Class Refundable. Is this E fare?
Any help would be great.
Went to Expertflyer and set up free trial.
Absolutely NO E or T fares for this day .

Last edited by pcoll; Feb 5, 2023 at 2:25 pm
pcoll is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:58 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 141
Just wishing to confirm AS' schedule change policy.

If departing or arriving 1+ hour than initially ticketed, the options are to change to any flight (free of charge?) +/- 1 calendar day?

Alternative airports are only permitted if they have designated a "co-terminal"? Or will they consider a change to a nearby airport from a distance perspective?

For reference, we were scheduled to fly in to BZN at 10 pm, but that has been pushed back to 12 am, which now prohibits us from renting the car we initially reserved, and would have us arrive at our accommodation at 2:30 am-ish. Rentals are now several hundred dollars more, as there will only be one rental agency open that late. Would they consider flying us to say, HLN, BIL, or even JAC/IDA without charging a fare difference?

Last edited by Denguin; Feb 5, 2023 at 2:38 pm
Denguin is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:58 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by Denguin
Just wishing to confirm AS' schedule change policy.

If departing or arriving 1+ hour than initially ticketed, the options are to change to any flight (free of charge?) +/- 1 calendar day?

Alternative airports are only permitted if they have designated a "co-terminal"? Or will they consider a change to a nearby airport from a distance perspective?

For reference, we were scheduled to fly in to BZN at 10 pm, but that has been pushed back to 12 am, which now prohibits us from renting the car we initially reserved, and would have us arrive at our accommodation at 2:30 am-ish. Rentals are now several hundred dollars more, as there will only be one rental agency open that late. Would they consider flying us to say, HLN, BIL, or even JAC/IDA without charging a fare difference?
Here are the rules:

Informational notice.Your reservation was previously affected by a schedule change. If your new itinerary does not meet your needs, you can make a one-time change to your reservation at no additional cost, within these guidelines:
  1. Travel is on the same dates as originally booked (or one day before and after).
  2. Travel is between the same departure and arrival city, or nearby airports.
    Cities with nearby airports:
    • Seattle (SEA/PAE)
    • Los Angeles area (LAX/BUR/ONT/SNA)
    • New York City area (JFK/LGA/EWR)
    • Dallas (DFW/DAL)
    • Bay Area (SFO/SJC/OAK)
    • D.C. area (BWI/DCA/IAD)
    • Palm Springs (PSP/ONT)
  3. New flights must be in the same cabin (e.g. Main Cabin) as the original reservation. Charges may apply for additional changes.
If you want to do a change that falls in the rules above, you can just do it yourself on the app or website. However, given that this was Alaska changing the schedule on you, there's a good chance they'll be more accommodating if you call. Never hurts to try!
remyjette is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:50 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: Nectar Card
Posts: 1,102
Originally Posted by desafino
Are alaska agents willing to cancel/redeposit half of a roundtrip award? I noticed some availability only shows up when searching roundtrip.
What did you see? I've noticed a paucity of AS saver space on a few west coast itineraries I was look at, and now wonder if a RT was the right move.
futuramadramallama is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.