Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by mtofell
Ah, that's right.... I knew there was some reduction. I seem to remember looking into once and we take quite a beating coming from AS.
The 500-mile minimum still applies, though, and that can really save you - especially if you've got more than one leg in each direction.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
The 500-mile minimum still applies, though, and that can really save you - especially if you've got more than one leg in each direction.
Yep, and that applies *before* the elite multiplier. So a short flight on AA will get you 500 EQM and 1250 RDM as a 75K regardless of fare class.

The fare codes for business and first are also always 150% of miles flown at minimum: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

And lastly, if you can find the AA flight on alaskaair.com, it earns according to the AS chart, so minimum 100% of miles flown with the exception of American-operated Basic Economy which is 50%.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
any words on solving or getting around of partner phantom space? it is so annoying, tried to ticket with AA, CX, FJ among others, and it is so hard to find one that can get ticketed.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Does anyone know a way to book a flight through AA and enter my AS FF# (or add it on the website after booking). I was able to call today and have them change it from AA to AS but even that was quite a challenge as the person on the phone had to put me on hold twice. Seems like it should be easier. The good news is while still on the phone I was able to pick premium class seats with my 75K status (or whatever AA calls them).
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Does anyone know a way to book a flight through AA and enter my AS FF# (or add it on the website after booking). I was able to call today and have them change it from AA to AS but even that was quite a challenge as the person on the phone had to put me on hold twice. Seems like it should be easier. The good news is while still on the phone I was able to pick premium class seats with my 75K status (or whatever AA calls them).
Toward the bottom where you enter your ff number there's a drop down menu. If you use it to select AS it will let you enter your mileage plan number. You can do this during the booking process or any time after.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Hello All! I've searched everywhere, but couldn't find a definitive answer (but think I already know). Wanted to check here..... Can elite qualifying segments be from an award ticket (flown on Alaska)? On the Alaska Airlines website, it just says "Segments Flown". It doesn't say "segments bought". I'm pretty sure it's not possible to acheive the required segments on award tickets, but I just wanted to check FT for confirmation. And if it is written specifically somewhere, I'm totally curious as I've looked all over!

Thanks for any insight!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
Hello All! I've searched everywhere, but couldn't find a definitive answer (but think I already know). Wanted to check here..... Can elite qualifying segments be from an award ticket (flown on Alaska)? On the Alaska Airlines website, it just says "Segments Flown". It doesn't say "segments bought". I'm pretty sure it's not possible to acheive the required segments on award tickets, but I just wanted to check FT for confirmation. And if it is written specifically somewhere, I'm totally curious as I've looked all over!

Thanks for any insight!
You dont earn qualifying segments (or miles) on pure award redemptions, but you do if you use money and miles where you redeem miles to offset the cost of a revenue ticket (10,000 AS = $100.)
Spoiler

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Feb 11, 2023 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
You dont earn qualifying segments (or miles) on pure award redemptions, but you do if you use money and miles where you redeem miles to offset the cost of a revenue ticket (10,000 AS = $100.)

Thanks so much! Love the "spoiler" alert!
I knew award tix wouldn't get miles, but thought perhaps those new required segments (when otherwise having flown enough miles for MVP status on partners) were just a way for AS to make sure you got on one of their planes every now & then. Appreciate the cash + miles info!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Hi! Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but wanted to ask the experts here for their take on my downgrade compensation:
  • Flew SAN-SEA-ORD-SEA-SFO last year, booked in D class and paid $1038 all in for the reservation
  • SAN-SEA departed late (they couldn't work out how to disconnect the jet bridge...), forcing a misconnect on SEA-ORD
  • I was rebooked in Y (unsure of booking class) on a later flight to ORD same day. The customer care folk at SEA couldn't/wouldn't endorse me over to either AA or DL, both of whom had flights to ORD at the same time and space available in First - my only possible option was to accept the downgrade. This seemed weird to me, as when AA have dropped the ball on me before - they were more than happy to hand me over to DL!
  • Fast forward to today, and I've just spotted an $85 credit from AS on my credit card statement
Does $85 seem reasonable compensation for the situation outlined above? I really don't want to brave the multi-hour hold time to ask about it - so if it does, I'll grumble to myself about it rather than annoying a customer service rep at AS.

TIA!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I've got an award flight coming up booked with AS miles, HND-LAX on JAL. I'd like to use a stopover to tack on a "free one way" from LAX-IAD on AS metal to use later, but I'm not sure of the exact date. Would I be able to change the date for the LAX-IAD segment after the HND-LAX segment is complete?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notzac
Hi! Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but wanted to ask the experts here for their take on my downgrade compensation:
  • Flew SAN-SEA-ORD-SEA-SFO last year, booked in D class and paid $1038 all in for the reservation
  • SAN-SEA departed late (they couldn't work out how to disconnect the jet bridge...), forcing a misconnect on SEA-ORD
  • I was rebooked in Y (unsure of booking class) on a later flight to ORD same day. The customer care folk at SEA couldn't/wouldn't endorse me over to either AA or DL, both of whom had flights to ORD at the same time and space available in First - my only possible option was to accept the downgrade. This seemed weird to me, as when AA have dropped the ball on me before - they were more than happy to hand me over to DL!
  • Fast forward to today, and I've just spotted an $85 credit from AS on my credit card statement
Does $85 seem reasonable compensation for the situation outlined above? I really don't want to brave the multi-hour hold time to ask about it - so if it does, I'll grumble to myself about it rather than annoying a customer service rep at AS.

TIA!
I mean, flying in First class SEA-ORD is generally a lot more than $85 compared to Y. I don't think hold times are really multi- hour right now, February is typically a lighter month for flying compared to Nov/Dec and there haven't been any recent big weather disasters. Could always try texting 82008 - I've have better luck getting AS to do what I want by calling (last week I just got told I can't do what I want and then immediately "This chat has ended" even though the next two helped me fine) *but* texting means you don't have to wait on hold.

​​​​​​It certainly can't hurt to ask for better compensation for that downgrade.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Create a second passenger in your AA profile who is you but with your AS number. Then you can log into your AA account with your AA number and book the flight for your AS-numbered doppelganger. You have to then pull the reservation into the AA app on your phone using the PNR, but it will be correctly populated with your AS number and benefits.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
On an international partner award (LAX-HND), is it possible to add an AUS-SAN segment on AS and "connect" to the LAX-HND segment within 24 hours? Or do positioning flights always have to be same-airport/coterminals?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I have booked SAN - BOS (stopover) JFK - HND award with AS/JAL. I do not think booking it as a layover is possible
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:21 am

The hubbie flew LAS to SFO in J and credited to AA instead of BA (he needs the tier points). Is it possible that AS will reverse the credit to AA and credit to BA if he calls or emails them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.