Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by remyjette
Here are the rules:

If you want to do a change that falls in the rules above, you can just do it yourself on the app or website. However, given that this was Alaska changing the schedule on you, there's a good chance they'll be more accommodating if you call. Never hurts to try!
Thanks. I tried to look at alternatives with self-serve options, but it seemingly wants to charge me the fare difference for changes to other flights, even on the same day. Guess I'll just have to call to figure it out...
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Doesnt seem to be an FJ thread is there any lounge access traveling on Fiji Airways business with Alaska status? Oneworlds website says only status holders on FJs current sponsors of BA, QF, and CX, can access a Oneworld lounge, but maybe that is outdated.

Has anyone used the Alaska or American lounges when on Fiji?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
How does booking a lap infant work using AS miles to fly AS domestic + SQ J? Is that possible? When I look on SQ website, I don't even see an option for adding an infant under two years old.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
How does booking a lap infant work using AS miles to fly AS domestic + SQ J? Is that possible? When I look on SQ website, I don't even see an option for adding an infant under two years old.
No guarantees for anything when booking with a partner:

​​​​​​
Guests traveling with a lap infant on a partner airline must book their tickets on the partner airline's website, or by calling the partner airline's customer service or reservations center.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 5:22 pm

I had wallet funds, but was unable to use them to pay taxes/fees on a Seattle - London award flight using Alaska miles. I seem to remember vaguely that I have used my wallet funds in the past to pay for award flights (maybe they were just alaska metal). Is this expected, or some issue with my wallet?
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I had wallet funds, but was unable to use them to pay taxes/fees on a Seattle - London award flight using Alaska miles. I seem to remember vaguely that I have used my wallet funds in the past to pay for award flights (maybe they were just alaska metal). Is this expected, or some issue with my wallet?
I've never been able to use wallet funds for a partner award flight.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Alaska metal only for wallet use:

You can redeem wallet credits at alaskaair.com on flights operated by Alaska Airlines (flights 1-1999, 2000-2999, and 3300-3499).
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...bout-my-wallet

It also says "You can apply wallet credits to transportation sales taxes, security fees, and passenger facility charges" so you should be able to use them with awards to pay those fees ...as long as the itinerary is entirely on AS metal.

And note that it's only valid for buying new fares - you cannot use wallet funds to purchase seat selection in Premium Class, or to upfare to a different fare class (like upfaring to N to apply a GGU)
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:20 am

Hi Im looking for Qatar airways, YUL- MLE.
I can barely search for 85K J Class, and compared to the new AVIOS also 85K, just a difference of YQ.

Any recommendation, AS, or BA should I choose?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Quick upgrade question:

My understanding is that an MVP with a mere mortal member on the same PNR is not eligible for F upgrades.

And yet I find my dear wife and myself on the upgrade list of two flights tomorrow. Both were booked prior to me getting booted out of MVP75k-dom. We are still in the PC seats that I picked last year, but it seems they haven't bothered to take us off the wait list. Is this how it works? (not that it matters in this case; the F cabin is full for both flights). And if I soon claw my way back up to MVPG, will other future trips booked while I was MVP75K back in 2022 still use my 75K status for upgrade priority, or the then current MVPG status?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL
OWE looking to fly MSY-SEA on AS. I started a booking online and input my BA FF number (which is where my OWE status lies)—unfortunately, in contrast with what happens when I book on AA, I don’t seem to be able to choose premium seats without paying extra. I can book myself into MCE on AA for free as a OWE; is this perk not available on AS? What benefits do I get in general on AS?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
OWE looking to fly MSY-SEA on AS. I started a booking online and input my BA FF number (which is where my OWE status lies)—unfortunately, in contrast with what happens when I book on AA, I don’t seem to be able to choose premium seats without paying extra. I can book myself into MCE on AA for free as a OWE; is this perk not available on AS? What benefits do I get in general on AS?
Complimentary upgrades to premium class is not a benefit given to oneworld elites (with the exception of AA elites, see below). For the benefits you can expect, see https://www.alaskaair.com/content/oneworld. The "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" that refers to is row 10-17, labelled "Alaska and oneworld elites" in the seat charts. This section includes both exit rows, and is exclusive to oneworld Ruby and higher and Alaska MVP and higher until 24 hours before departure.

AA elites gain additional benefits: "In addition to oneworld benefits, AAdvantage status members have access to additional benefits as part of our West Coast International Alliance, including Premium Class seats and upgrades to First Class." https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GfL
The "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" that refers to is row 10-17, labelled "Alaska and oneworld elites" in the seat charts. This section includes both exit rows, and is exclusive to oneworld Ruby and higher and Alaska MVP and higher until 24 hours before departure.
Thanks! On the flight I’m looking at, every single seat in rows 10-17 is grayed out and I can’t select any of them. There’s not a chance in the world that all of these seats are already taken, since this is a flight at the end of June and there are tons of open seats in the rest of the plane. Do I need to call AS to make the booking, or after I book online, to get one of these seats? It seems like AS’s system is not recognizing my OWE status.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Anyone know if/how much of an RDM mutliplier there is if I book on AA using my AS 75K status and MP#?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Anyone know if/how much of an RDM mutliplier there is if I book on AA using my AS 75K status and MP#?
The RDM multiplier as a AS 75K is 125% regardless of the airline you're booking on. The only thing that would be different with AA is the base miles (that then get multiplied by 125% for RDM as a 75K) could be lower depending on fare code, whereas it's always 100% of miles flown on AS.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K
The only thing that would be different with AA is the base miles (that then get multiplied by 125% for RDM as a 75K) could be lower depending on fare code, whereas it's always 100% of miles flown on AS.
Ah, that's right.... I knew there was some reduction. I seem to remember looking into once and we take quite a beating coming from AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.