Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Looking at booking a domestic 'Saver' fare - do BA OneWorld Emerald folks get a free checked bag or seat selection?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by stewardo
Looking at booking a domestic 'Saver' fare - do BA OneWorld Emerald folks get a free checked bag or seat selection?
Saver fares across the board are now exempt from seat selection regardless of status on AS or it’s partners, but you will get your OWE checked bag allowance on the fare though.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by Seattler
I have been poking around looking for long-haul Qsuites availability for my partner and I to take a trip somewhere (anywhere) just for fun, using AS mileage plan miles. I keep seeing that J class seats start at 85k miles for flights from N America to Doha and beyond. However, I can't find a single date in 2023 where seats are available for less than 170k miles. Is that the "real" going rate? I know that there are better ways to book these flights, but I don't currently have Aveos or other ways to redeem points other than AS mileage plan miles. Thanks for any insights!
I can't answer your QSuites question, but I did sign up for a CapOne card to get the 75K bonus so I could transfer to Avios.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 14, 2023 at 6:52 pm Reason: Remove mention of CC referral.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AS
Since AS has updated the Traveling With Us section of site, checked to see if First Class still has misinformation regarding mileage when flying in First Class.

Should read, “earn up to 75% bonus miles.” Not many who pay for F , pay Refundable F.
Most receive 50% bonus miles.

Update for those who are not aware,
NO More AS Lounge access for F, unless flying over 2100 miles , beginning Feb 15.
Most west coast will still get lounge access until Feb 15.

from AS
Comfort-inducing perks just for you.

Experience exclusive, First Class perks. Check in two free bags, skip ahead with expedited check-in and priority boarding, along with express security screening at select airports. Plus, earn 75% more Mileage Plan™ bonus miles with your First Class ticket purchase.

Last edited by pcoll; Jan 15, 2023 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:41 am
vji

Will I get access to QF F on LHR-LAX-HNL (operated by AA) in LAX (onwards to HNL) as 75k? OWE seems to have a carve-out for AS members only when allowing travel "to" outside of the US:

"Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP GOLD 100K, 75K, and MVP GOLD members may access oneworld lounges when travelling to somewhere outside of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.

Additionally, Alaska Airlines customers on Alaska Airlines operated domestic flights, connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day, are eligible for oneworld lounge access before the domestic flight."

But AS's policy (admittedly for its own lounges) say:
"I am an MVP Gold, Gold 75k, or Gold 100k and I'm flying First or Business Class on a long-haul international flight operated by a oneworld member carrier. Am I able to access the Alaska Lounge?
If your itinerary is ticketed by Alaska or a oneworld carrier, and includes a long-haul international flight operated by a oneworld carrier then you are eligible for lounge access."

Obviously in reverse the access should be allowed
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Seattler
I have been poking around looking for long-haul Qsuites availability for my partner and I to take a trip somewhere (anywhere) just for fun, using AS mileage plan miles. I keep seeing that J class seats start at 85k miles for flights from N America to Doha and beyond. However, I can't find a single date in 2023 where seats are available for less than 170k miles. Is that the "real" going rate? I know that there are better ways to book these flights, but I don't currently have Aveos or other ways to redeem points other than AS mileage plan miles. Thanks for any insights!
​​​​​​
The Qatar award chart has multiple levels. The saver level is 85k. 170k per ticket would be the dynamic pricing amount, which has consistent availability, but costs way more. This structure is also done with AA, Aer Lingus, and Singapore Airlines.

Since there's no 85k availability, that should mean no partner can find saver availability on Qatar either (and I think even for Qatar's own program). So from that perspective, it is effectively the going rate.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by vji
Will I get access to QF F on LHR-LAX-HNL (operated by AA) in LAX (onwards to HNL) as 75k? OWE seems to have a carve-out for AS members only when allowing travel "to" outside of the US:

"Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP GOLD 100K, 75K, and MVP GOLD members may access oneworld lounges when travelling to somewhere outside of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.

Additionally, Alaska Airlines customers on Alaska Airlines operated domestic flights, connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day, are eligible for oneworld lounge access before the domestic flight."

But AS's policy (admittedly for its own lounges) say:
"I am an MVP Gold, Gold 75k, or Gold 100k and I'm flying First or Business Class on a long-haul international flight operated by a oneworld member carrier. Am I able to access the Alaska Lounge?
If your itinerary is ticketed by Alaska or a oneworld carrier, and includes a long-haul international flight operated by a oneworld carrier then you are eligible for lounge access."

Obviously in reverse the access should be allowed
I've used partner OW lounges as a MVPG both in the US travelling to another country, and in other countries travelling home.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:51 pm
vji

Originally Posted by remyjette
I've used partner OW lounges as a MVPG both in the US travelling to another country, and in other countries travelling home.
this would be neither of the above - in the US traveling to the US (on AA) but coming off an international flight
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
A few newbie questions here; I have just made a new award redemption on CX from HKG - AMS for travel next month. I am starting my trip from Vietnam, flying home to the UK. Online there is no availability using AS miles for either SGN/HAN to HKG on CX, which is what I preferred. Checking Avios availability there is award availability on both CX flights from Vietnam in both Y and J. I do not want to stopover in HKG, just connecting. So am I correct in assuming if I call Alaska then the agents will be unable to see any availability since BA Executive Club is showing as available for Avios redemptions only? Assuming that availability on Alaska might pop up later before departure am I correct in thinking the extra charge for adding on this sector is the mileage rate for CX intra-Asia flights which is 12.5/15/22.5K miles one way plus taxes and fees? I could of course just book using Avios but would prefer to have everything on one booking to ease my transit in HKG.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by Strawb
A few newbie questions here; I have just made a new award redemption on CX from HKG - AMS for travel next month. I am starting my trip from Vietnam, flying home to the UK. Online there is no availability using AS miles for either SGN/HAN to HKG on CX, which is what I preferred. Checking Avios availability there is award availability on both CX flights from Vietnam in both Y and J. I do not want to stopover in HKG, just connecting. So am I correct in assuming if I call Alaska then the agents will be unable to see any availability since BA Executive Club is showing as available for Avios redemptions only? Assuming that availability on Alaska might pop up later before departure am I correct in thinking the extra charge for adding on this sector is the mileage rate for CX intra-Asia flights which is 12.5/15/22.5K miles one way plus taxes and fees? I could of course just book using Avios but would prefer to have everything on one booking to ease my transit in HKG.
It is odd that both AA and BA are showing that award availability but not AS; it might be worth calling and asking the partner desk to check on the availability of that flight. You might need to HUCA a few times to get someone more familiar with international awards or try to insist on speaking with someone directly at the partner desk.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:06 pm

I am trying to book an award flight to Chile with Alaska miles on either LATAM or American. However when I search for SEA to SCL on Alaska, I get weird results where the connecting flight from SEA-LAX is too late to actually catch the international flight that day. For example, LATAM has two LAX-SCL flights that leave at 3:00pm and 8:10pm on this day. I can see award availability if I search LAX-SCL. But if I search SEA-SCL the SEA-LAX flight on Alaska gets in late and forces me to sleep overnight in LA and catch the LATAM flight the next day. There are plenty of earlier Alaska flights with open award availability.

Is there some weird rule I am missing here or is this a dumb quirk of the search interface?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by whackedspinach
I am trying to book an award flight to Chile with Alaska miles on either LATAM or American. However when I search for SEA to SCL on Alaska, I get weird results where the connecting flight from SEA-LAX is too late to actually catch the international flight that day. For example, LATAM has two LAX-SCL flights that leave at 3:00pm and 8:10pm on this day. I can see award availability if I search LAX-SCL. But if I search SEA-SCL the SEA-LAX flight on Alaska gets in late and forces me to sleep overnight in LA and catch the LATAM flight the next day. There are plenty of earlier Alaska flights with open award availability.

Is there some weird rule I am missing here or is this a dumb quirk of the search interface?
What day are you searching?

For example, on 2023-05-31 I see SEA-LAX-SCL where the SEA-LAX leg is AS 1144 departing 11:20am arriving 2:05pm, then the LAX-SCL leg is LATAM 603 leaving at 5pm. A perfectly reasonable itinerary.

My guess would be that there is no T space available on the Alaska flight you want. T (saver award) space must be available to attach it to an itinerary on a partner airline.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I have an 0730 departure from JFK on Saturday, so I am within the 72-hour MVPG upgrade window. However it still wants to charge me to move to Premium. Am I missing something?

UPDATE: to answer my own question, I think I had to wait for 0730 Seattle time as I was able to make the change now.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 18, 2023 at 9:19 am
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
In December I suffered the misfortune of flying on an AA fight on a Basic economy ticket with the fare code "B." I did not earn any miles. Now, I am sad to report that a provider I am working with booked me another basic economy flight on AA. I am saddened I won't get to enjoy free drinks in MCE but mostly bummed because every mile counts when it comes to maintaining my status. On the AS/AA earning chart below it appears that B fares should earn 25 percent. That might not sound like much, but with the 500 mile minimum, the segments add up. Has anyone had success getting AS to honor their own chart and grant miles for AA B fares? https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
2023 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Welcome to 2023 and another year of flame free questions and answers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.