Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by equilibriphile
If I book through a third-party site (specifically travelgo.com) but have MVP status, will it "pass through" to the booking even though the booking is made by a third party? Trying to avoid paying for checked bags, of which I need multiple.
It should (assuming travelgo lets you enter a loyalty program number), or you could get AS to add it (or perhaps add it yourself online, though that has most of the time failed for me).

But you are aware of other downsides of booking through some OTA, right?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It should (assuming travelgo lets you enter a loyalty program number), or you could get AS to add it (or perhaps add it yourself online, though that has most of the time failed for me).
Thanks.

But you are aware of other downsides of booking through some OTA, right?
In the sense that everything booking management-related has to go through them (which rarely goes well), changing & refunds are limited, if even possible? I think so? If there's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing, I'd appreciate the call out. I haven't really mucked around with smaller OTA bookings though have had fine experiences with Expedia and BookingHoldings subsidiaries before.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I am looking for suggestions on how to search and land least cash cost for 2 business class seats from SFO or LAX to and from UK in late July. I have about 300K AS miles, 200K BA miles, and 150K AA miles and 2 AA SWU's as well as Expert Flyer.
This should be simple - go to alaska website, aa website and ba website and on each of them search from SFO or LAX to various UK airports and see what the options are. Search one-way, and if you don't see anything from SFO/LAX try to search from nearby airports like PHX or SAN etc. If that doesn't work, search from SFO/LAX to HEL/CDG/MAD/BCN (basically other major airports in Europe). If that doesn't work search from ORD/SLC/DEN etc.

Your options will guide your decision, but in general you can expect to pay approximately 70k-ish miles each way per person.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by equilibriphile
In the sense that everything booking management-related has to go through them (which rarely goes well), changing & refunds are limited, if even possible? I think so? If there's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing, I'd appreciate the call out. I haven't really mucked around with smaller OTA bookings though have had fine experiences with Expedia and BookingHoldings subsidiaries before.
That's pretty much it. Did you find a significantly cheaper deal through them compared to booking on alaskaair.com?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:26 pm

That's pretty much it. Did you find a significantly cheaper deal through them compared to booking on alaskaair.com?
👍🏻 Yes, about $100 cheaper than the Saver rate (presently; the price delta looks to be more like $200 normally), but more importantly, it's at a time and day that works much better for me.

I took your advice and went ahead and booked using that OTA and they got me my booking info after about 90 minutes. I was then able to put all my information (frequent flier, Mileage Plan number for status, Known Traveler Number) into the Alaska system no problem and it looks like a standard Saver flight as expected. So many thanks to you for your help!
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Question - can someone who has recently flown these routes help confirm how many EQMs these routes earn?

SFO-BOS is it 2704 or 2696?
SFO-SEA is it still 678mi?
SEA-PHX is it 1106? <- this one I guess is most important to me, because if my math works out, I'm going to requalify with a razon-thin 100,042 miles

I've done a bunch of SFO-BOS-SFO same day turns and I have on my notes that it's 2704 x 2 eqm. But when I bought a few SFO-BOS-SFO last night, I noticed the booking confirmation page says "Distance: 2,696 mi"

Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
In my recent experience the awarded mileage has been equal or just over the Great Circle distance. I double check against GCMap.com.

-J.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
I took advantage of the DL status match to match to MVPG 100K and come back to AS after many years away. I've taken a look at my travel plans for next year and it won't be a problem getting to 100K miles to requalify, but most of them will be on OW carriers flying internationally. I understand that I'll need 24 flights on AS metal, which leads to two questions:
  1. If I fly a connecting routeósay, SEA-PDX-TUSódo both flights count as separate as long as they have different flight numbers?
  2. Are there any good strategies for flight runs for fulfilling this requirement in a situation like mine?
Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maradori
Question - can someone who has recently flown these routes help confirm how many EQMs these routes earn?

SFO-SEA is it still 678mi?
SEA-PHX is it 1106? <- this one I guess is most important to me, because if my math works out, I'm going to requalify with a razon-thin 100,042 miles

I've done a bunch of SFO-BOS-SFO same day turns and I have on my notes that it's 2704 x 2 eqm. But when I bought a few SFO-BOS-SFO last night, I noticed the booking confirmation page says "Distance: 2,696 mi"
PHX-SEA is a route I fly pretty frequently. It is 1106 Miles; Great Circle Mapper shows 1107.

There are a few that post differently than what AS shows for their distances. SFO-JFK shows 2579 but posts as 2586.

Over the years, SEA-YLW has posted as 218, 219 & 220, but always topped up to 500 on non-Saver fares.

I can't speak fot BOS, I haven't flown there in a long time.

James
Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
I took advantage of the DL status match to match to MVPG 100K and come back to AS after many years away. I've taken a look at my travel plans for next year and it won't be a problem getting to 100K miles to requalify, but most of them will be on OW carriers flying internationally. I understand that I'll need 24 flights on AS metal, which leads to two questions:
  1. If I fly a connecting routeósay, SEA-PDX-TUSódo both flights count as separate as long as they have different flight numbers?
  2. Are there any good strategies for flight runs for fulfilling this requirement in a situation like mine?
Thanks!
1) Yes, each segment will count, even on Saver fares. There is a 500 mile minimum on non-saver fares so SEA-PDX would earn 500 EQM & 1250 RDM for a 100K.

2) Try to find itineraries that include an AA codeshare flight. The AS marketed, AA operated flight won't earn a segment but subsequent AS marketed & operated flights will. The "AAdvantage" is AS isn't currently marketing AA BE fares so itineraries will be in Main. They often are as cheap if not cheaper than AS saver fares.

James
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Can someone help me understand codeshares? I am trying to book SEA-DEL for March on Qatar and would prefer to book through alaskaair.com to get the higher points and wallet funds if I should need to cancel or re-price, but it keeps wanting to route me SEA-SFO-DOH-DEL instead of SEA-DOH-DEL. My dates are not flexible, but I donít see SEA-DOH-DEL offered +/- a few days, either. Is there a capacity constraint on seats sold as codeshares? Are there certain routes that will never be operated as codeshares? Seems like if AS and Qatar are going to be partners, they at least ought to offer a codeshare on the flight between their two hubs!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maradori

SFO-BOS is 2704 EQM (I've done this MR in early Jan)
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:41 am

Didnít find an answer from searching, hopefully someone ha first-hand experience on this:

International to domestic OVERNIGHT connection at LAX, both flights on AS. Arriving at around 11pm. Would I be able to re-check bags immediately after clearing after customs? Or do I have to wait until the next morning? And then am I still subject to the 3-hour rule?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ezak
Didnít find an answer from searching, hopefully someone ha first-hand experience on this:

International to domestic OVERNIGHT connection at LAX, both flights on AS. Arriving at around 11pm. Would I be able to re-check bags immediately after clearing after customs? Or do I have to wait until the next morning? And then am I still subject to the 3-hour rule?

Thanks in advance!
If tagged thru this should work.

I've had 2 problems before, HAV which did not allow further connections to be printed on tags, and coming back from Japan when someone said "I didn't have time" between flights and I had to haul to T6 where they took it (tagged thru, but JL was 2 hrs late)
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
If tagged thru this should work.

I've had 2 problems before, HAV which did not allow further connections to be printed on tags, and coming back from Japan when someone said "I didn't have time" between flights and I had to haul to T6 where they took it (tagged thru, but JL was 2 hrs late)
Thanks! Thatís really great to know.

Iím departing from LIR. If memory serves correctly they should be able to tag it through.

Hopefully AS still has an agent at the check-in counters around midnight. Will report back my experience!

I guess now thereís one more question: will there be an AS agent in T6 at around midnight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.