Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - Ambassador; AS - MVP Gold
Requesting Advice for 2024 status

In 2024 I will be making several business / first oversees trips. Easily accumulating the mileage needed for MVP Gold 100K. My problem is I wont need to fly on more than ~4 Alaska flights next year. Is it worth flying to Portland (Im so-cal based) to do PDX to SEA RT 10 times to reach the 24 Alaska leg requirement? Or should I just give it up and switch to AA which doesnt have that requirement?

Ive always enjoyed flying Alaska. The experience is so much better than the AA flights Ive taken. And we go to Hawaii a few times a year and will always fly Alaska (+ now Hawaiian).

Anyone else do the PDX / SEA RT flights to reach enough Alaska legs?

Im currently looking at SNA - SFO - SEA - GEG - PDX - SEA - PDX - SMF (15 hours of travel in 1 day) $728 in first class on all legs. to go visit grandparents in Sacramento just to get the Alaska legs in.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoCalNorCal
In 2024 I will be making several business / first oversees trips. Easily accumulating the mileage needed for MVP Gold 100K. My problem is I wont need to fly on more than ~4 Alaska flights next year. Is it worth flying to Portland (Im so-cal based) to do PDX to SEA RT 10 times to reach the 24 Alaska leg requirement? Or should I just give it up and switch to AA which doesnt have that requirement?

Ive always enjoyed flying Alaska. The experience is so much better than the AA flights Ive taken. And we go to Hawaii a few times a year and will always fly Alaska (+ now Hawaiian).

Im currently looking at SNA - SFO - SEA - GEG - PDX - SEA - PDX - SMF (15 hours of travel in 1 day) $728 in first class on all legs. to go visit grandparents in Sacramento just to get the Alaska legs in.
Doing PDX-SEA 10 times in succession sounds rather painful. Since you're SoCal based can you not get something comparable LAX/BUR/ONT/SNA-SFO/STS spread over a few trips?

You could also do something like LAX-SFO-PDX-SEA-PDX-SFO-LAX four times to break up the monotony a little.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 2:38 pm

Hello! Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have booked an award flight on JAL metal via Cathay Pacific. Their app lets me switch from their reward program, but Alaska doesn't seem to be on the list. Does anyone know if it's possible to credit my mileage to AS somehow instead? Thanks!

Old Dec 12, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Do award flights booked through CX generate mileage?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bta15
Do award flights booked through CX generate mileage?
No, they dont. Same question I was going as the poster since unless he meant revenue ticket, mileage earning is not going to happen.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=meowgicians;35817346]Hello! Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have booked an award flight on JAL metal via Cathay Pacific. Their app lets me switch from their reward program, but Alaska doesn't seem to be on the list. Does anyone know if it's possible to credit my mileage to AS somehow instead? Thanks!

Cant answer the crediting to Alaska programme but CX or indeed JAL award seats do not earn any miles. Do you mean a paid revenue ticket or award ticket?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:11 am

Thanks all! Brain had a malfunction there.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 10:48 am

I need one more segment to get MVP status and have a roundtrip booked tomorrow but currently have my AA number on file because I'm Platinum Pro. I already have a first class upgrade secured. If I credit to AA, does the flight still count as part of my AS segments needed or do I need to relinquish my Platinum Pro benefits in order to get the segment to count? My AA status expires this year and I would like to have MVP next year.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by loganseatac
I need one more segment to get MVP status and have a roundtrip booked tomorrow but currently have my AA number on file because I'm Platinum Pro. I already have a first class upgrade secured. If I credit to AA, does the flight still count as part of my AS segments needed or do I need to relinquish my Platinum Pro benefits in order to get the segment to count? My AA status expires this year and I would like to have MVP next year.
If the miles don't credit to AS, neither do the segments. You'll need to give up your AA benefits to get the segment.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - Ambassador; AS - MVP Gold

This news solves my problem nicely.

Originally Posted by SoCalNorCal

Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Probably a stupid question, but if I had a flight I wanted to book that was purely AA start to finish, would there be any reason to book on AlaskaAir or should I just go directly to AA and book it there plugging in my AS# for the benefits? Mostly wanting to make sure I can select a goodish seat and not get dinged for checking a bag.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cragAK
Probably a stupid question, but if I had a flight I wanted to book that was purely AA start to finish, would there be any reason to book on AlaskaAir or should I just go directly to AA and book it there plugging in my AS# for the benefits? Mostly wanting to make sure I can select a goodish seat and not get dinged for checking a bag.
The only benefit booking it via Alaska website is getting miles based on the Alaska award chart (so 100% if it's non-basic economy). But it's often more expensive, so up to you if it's worth extra. The baggage, seat selection, and upgrade benefits are the same.

Keep in mind, if you're trying to use one of the Alaska AA upgrade vouchers, you have to book the flight via AA (though doesn't seem the case here).
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:13 pm

Change fees, wallet and MVPG

Hello, Im sure this is answered somewhere in the forum or on the website but I cant seem to locate.

I am reevaluating the value of status (MVPG for me) for 2024 and beyond. I have formerly understood that one of the values of MVPG is that change fees are waived and so all flights (aside from possibly saver fares?) are refundable as a credit into the wallet. I frequently end up changing flights, so this is important to me. However, I was trying to confirm that this is in fact a benefit of MVPG specifically and I cant seem to do so. Is this something that everyone can do or is it only granted with status? Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by denverbay
Hello, Im sure this is answered somewhere in the forum or on the website but I cant seem to locate.

I am reevaluating the value of status (MVPG for me) for 2024 and beyond. I have formerly understood that one of the values of MVPG is that change fees are waived and so all flights (aside from possibly saver fares?) are refundable as a credit into the wallet. I frequently end up changing flights, so this is important to me. However, I was trying to confirm that this is in fact a benefit of MVPG specifically and I cant seem to do so. Is this something that everyone can do or is it only granted with status? Thanks!
All flights are refundable for a credit for everyone now, you don't need status. Saver fares have restrictions in place, but you can get 50% credit if canceled 14 days or more from departure I believe.

MVP Gold does get you free same day change (SDC). So you can change to a different flight timing on the same route on the same day, and it's confirmed immediately if seats are available rather than being on standby. That can be pretty valuable.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by denverbay

It was a very valuable perk for MVP Golds and 75ks but early at the start of the pandemic they opened it for everyone as long as the tickets wasnt a saver fare. Now all main cabin fare and higher tickets are able to be cancelled pretty painlessly with the value being able to be deposited into your wallet as a credit or held as a value as a emailed ticket number if there was a coupon/companion fare attached which you want to preserve. Either option makes the credit have a year to book by from when the initial flight was ticketed/purchased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.