Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
but rather gets 20% back on AS purchases
specifically, in flight purchases, right?

I would use my card a lot more if I got 20% back on all AS purchases
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Originally Posted by winterpolaris
First timer poster here, super newbie to the world of award flights. Wanted to ask for some advice/suggestions:

Planning on doing a Japan trip (TYO) beginning of April, want to get all my flights via awards. (LAX as home airport.) No status whatsoever, just miles, and I'm perfectly okay with economy seats (just looking for transport, not comfort tbh). A preliminary search is showing some pretty pricy redemptions (~65k via Starlux, one way, in economy with a TPE layover). I read on some articles and travel blogs that JL tends to release good last-minute redemptions (like 14 days or so before departure). I'm definitely willing to wait until closer to departure date to book, but just wanted to get advice from more experienced folks to see if waiting it out would change anything or if I should just book now (or look into low-cost airlines like ZipAir). Thanks!
I gave up trying to book LAX-TYO RT JAL award tickets through Qatar a couple months ago. Settled for JAL award tickets from HNL - TOY RT and found a couple inexpensive revenue tickets - LNG - HNL and HNL - SAN( preferred a/p).
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:26 am

I've got Alaska discount codes stacked up from here to infinity. Since I can only use one code per booking I have a lot of trips with gratuitously split PNRs, which usually isn't a big deal but has more opportunity for mayhem, especially right now where one half of a round trip might get axed with the second half still on the books--potentially bad if I need rebooking for both halves.

Anyone have a better way to handle this? Is there a secret way to use more than one discount code per PNR? Or is it the price I pay for my $25-50 off per leg.

(To be clear, though, I'm never splitting PNRs on a connecting flight. That is totally asking for trouble.)
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: AS
This is what we have had to do with our DC. As far as I know, there is no way to apply more than 1 Discount Code per PNR.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:33 pm

I have an award flight departing in a few hours that I want to cancel and get miles redeposited. I'm unable to cancel it online (it gives error).
I'm on the hold with chat/phone but that can take hours. Is there some email that I can send a cancellation request to, so that in the case that I don't connect to customer service before the flight leaves I'm not marked as a 'no show' and have some proof of trying to cancel it and get my miles redeposited.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I have an award flight departing in a few hours that I want to cancel and get miles redeposited. I'm unable to cancel it online (it gives error).
I'm on the hold with chat/phone but that can take hours. Is there some email that I can send a cancellation request to, so that in the case that I don't connect to customer service before the flight leaves I'm not marked as a 'no show' and have some proof of trying to cancel it and get my miles redeposited.
Have you tried SMS? 82008 I think
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Is Alaska currently (18 Jan 2024) having issues with their online awards booking?

I have been trying to get a ABQ-LIS mid-May R/T; either it does not work at all or only offers 280,000 one way via EI
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue bear
Is Alaska currently (18 Jan 2024) having issues with their online awards booking?

I have been trying to get a ABQ-LIS mid-May R/T; either it does not work at all or only offers 280,000 one way via EI
Are you looking for coach or business class?

I don’t think it’s broken, just limited availability compounded with the standard problems of non-existing AS saver feeders and inability to mix more than one partner airline on an award.

Affordable Business class might be hard to find. And finding an award from ABQ might be difficult because you’d need a saver award on AS metal to an international gateway and then a partner award, and AS is pretty stingy with saver awards these days. Poor workaround: Look for flights from gateways like SEA or LAX to LIS and then figure out how to get to that gateway.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:52 am

Business. I looked into this a month ago, noted some of the same flights I flown as revenue were offered as rewards (ABQ-DFW-PHL-LIS).

Now they are not, just the 280k EI trash offer, and that even has a coach leg (!).

The SEA based offers all go thru LHR, and their lovely $1k+ tax each way/PP on business.

I do not know if these first routes went away, were sold out or buried.

A bit pissed as the spouse and I changed up our AS cards to get the extra mileage to do this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business. I looked into this a month ago, noted some of the same flights I flown as revenue were offered as rewards (ABQ-DFW-PHL-LIS).

Now they are not, just the 280k EI trash offer, and that even has a coach leg (!).

The SEA based offers all go thru LHR, and their lovely $1k+ tax each way/PP on business.

A bit pissed as the spouse and I changed up our AS cards to get the extra mileage to do this.
Yes, sadly a lot of the J OW inventory over the Atlantic is BA’s high-surcharge seats and those cruel joke offers from Aer Lingus.

If you find a good award, someone will book it if you don’t. It’s not like AA (in this case) keeps opening up more and more inventory on these flights. May in Portugal sounds lovely.

The way I play this game is to ensure I have enough miles in various programs to be able to book an award at a moment’s notice.

Yes, it’s annoying that you can’t use the AS miles from the credit cards now as you intended a month, but on the plus side you now have a stash ready to book the next time you find a good award.

Can you find reasonably priced coach awards for your dates? If your preferred option was a three leg trip, I personally would book that as a coach award (if available and cheap) and hope to find J seats closer to departure. F on the domestic flights is pretty meh, and PHL-LIS is a fairly short TATL hop, so in a pinch I could do that in Y.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jan 18, 2024 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:34 am

I have a revenue business flight next month - will see if it is worth the extra cost as I usually go PE.

Too old and spoiled for Main anymore.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too old and spoiled for Main anymore.
I know how that feels
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

AS flies only ABQ-SEA, and AA ABQ-PHX/DFW/LAX/AUS/ORD, so far as I can find. So either you fly to SEA on AS for whatever is available on a partner (EI,BA) from there, or you buy a ticket to an int'l gateway (DFW, LAX, PHX) and find an award from the gateway. I quickly found DFW-HEL-LIS on AY (5/13), and LIS-MAD-DFW on IB (5/23). There are some returns LIS-HEL-DFW on AY for other dates, but they involve a very long (13+ hours) layover. AA flies PHL-LIS, but there's very limited availability, and it's only in Y. I couldn't find anything in the necessary T fare class ABQ-PHL. The earliest dates I found PHL-LIS (in Y) on AA are 7/22 and 7/29. To be honest, Europe awards in J are very rare, unless you're willing to pay BA or EI rates. Hoping to find such awards 4 months out is going to leave you disappointed. These awards are best found 11 months out, when they first become available. But is the grass greener elsewhere? That'll be up to you to decide. Based on what I saw on the AA website, the answer for me is decidedly no.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:44 pm

Yeah, I was sniffing around with different plans - travel this summer will be spendy, revenue or miles.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have an AS flight CUN-SFO-LAS on 21st (725pm and 8am the next day). Both legs have stopped selling tickets or listing the fights while many seats show as available for me to choose from if I wanted to change my seat. The Twitter AS reps now say that the flight has stopped selling tickets in case they want to swap air craft.

How can I make sure I have my desired seats if this is done, what are my rights in terms of changing days etc, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.