Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
The single person handling limit is actually 100 lbs. AS will allow up to 100 lbs bags, with a $100 fee over 50 lbs. For all the other major US airlines, the fee starts above 70 lbs for the higher status groups.
This was such an unpleasant surprise. Even if the limit was bumped up to 55 or 60 lbs, it'd be so nice. So many times, my bag was 52lbs and I had to shift things around. When I mainly flew DL, it was nice never worrying about the weight.

Not to mention that if you're flying AA in F then connecting onto AS, you'd get that 70lb limit.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by misteryub
This was such an unpleasant surprise. Even if the limit was bumped up to 55 or 60 lbs, it'd be so nice. So many times, my bag was 52lbs and I had to shift things around. When I mainly flew DL, it was nice never worrying about the weight.

Not to mention that if you're flying AA in F then connecting onto AS, you'd get that 70lb limit.
Yeah, at the max dimensions 50# comes pretty quick unless it's just all clothes, etc. A couple heavy items and you'll easily run over. I invested in a cheap luggage scale off Amazon and it's been a pretty nice tool. I regularly check luggage at 49.XX #.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:35 am

Is there a time cutoff that your bags have to be tagged at the airport? I'll be paying for them at check in online but may have to arrive a bit later than usual.
(Dulles to the West coast if that matters). Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by marlin
Is there a time cutoff that your bags have to be tagged at the airport? I'll be paying for them at check in online but may have to arrive a bit later than usual.
(Dulles to the West coast if that matters). Thank you!
40 minutes before scheduled departure.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...boarding-times
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How many "preferred seats" can MVP select at time of booking? Just the MVP?

It looks like I would need MVP Gold for premium class upgrades for companions. Is that limited to 1 "companion" or everyone on the reservation record?

I am sure this has been asked but search failed me.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club: Gold, Delta: Gold Medallion, Southwest: A-list
Hi All,

I have recently emigrated to the US from the UK, where I have been a BA Gold (OWE) for almost a decade. With my travel patterns likely changing slightly as a result, I am re-evaluating my OW status strategy, potentially towards MVP75K (or higher if i can get there).

I had a couple of basic questions, that I haven't been able to find answers for online, that I was hoping I may find answers here!

1. Which miles count as EQM? I understand that flying and cc spend up to $50k generates EQMs, but do miles earned through the Alaska Airlines Hotel / Shopping platform count for status (a la AA) or just redemption (a la BA)?
2. Is there any record of AS status matching a fellow OW status holder in a situation like mine (i.e. recently emigrated to US)?

TIA
NX-Flyer
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Anyone else seeing weird problems with the booking engine? Using Safari on iPad the Calendar button throws me back to the homepage. No error.

And when trying to to book an award for myself from my wifeís account, I first get this error when hitting the Pay button:

and the second time this one:

(travelerís name is defaulted in from profile and has no special characters)

I gave up, tried it from my account to grab the TATL J seat before it disappears, and was able to book that way.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
For the westbound morning transcons (JFK-SEA to be specific), which F menu options are pre-order only? IIRC the F&C plate is pre-order only, and one other option. Just trying to determine if I should plan to eat on the flight or bring my own food.

-J.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
For the westbound morning transcons (JFK-SEA to be specific), which F menu options are pre-order only? IIRC the F&C plate is pre-order only, and one other option. Just trying to determine if I should plan to eat on the flight or bring my own food.

-J.
usually the vegan option
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by samosa
usually the vegan option
Thank you... that's what I was afraid of Every single non-preorder breakfast dish has pork.

-J.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Thank you... that's what I was afraid of Every single non-preorder breakfast dish has pork.

-J.
My experience is that at least one of those options comes with the meat on the side or optional.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:34 pm

Best time to buy tickets?

Hello! Am new to Alaska airlines. Planning to fly with them to Belize/Guatemala or Central America cities in July and the prices seem to be elevated, about 300usd per way. Is this the Normal price cos itís summer? Do we expect the prices to drop slightly closer to July?

like for Asia, the best deals are usually found 3-4 months in advance. Not sure about Alaskan airlines. Would appreciate some tips if I should wait for a while or just book now for my July trip from LAX.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by NXflyer
Hi All,

I have recently emigrated to the US from the UK, where I have been a BA Gold (OWE) for almost a decade.
Welcome!

1. Which miles count as EQM? I understand that flying and cc spend up to $50k generates EQMs, but do miles earned through the Alaska Airlines Hotel / Shopping platform count for status (a la AA) or just redemption (a la BA)?
Just flights and credit card spend generate EQM. Shopping, hotels, car rentals just generate RDM (redeemable miles).

2. Is there any record of AS status matching a fellow OW status holder in a situation like mine (i.e. recently emigrated to US)?
No idea, hopefully someone else will chime in with a data point.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/status-match

doesnít list BA (or other OW carriers).

AA has an Instant Status Pass program where you donít match status from another airline, but rather get certain status level immediately and are then on a treadmill to requalify (or get higher status) every four months. I got ISP free via a Hyatt offer last year, but I think they also sell access. Thread.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
If I buy two tickets on AS website for Condor metal and pay for them by CC and have to cancel them does the total go back to my wallet? Or two individual credits?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by tboons
Hello! Am new to Alaska airlines. Planning to fly with them to Belize/Guatemala or Central America cities in July and the prices seem to be elevated, about 300usd per way. Is this the Normal price cos itís summer? Do we expect the prices to drop slightly closer to July?

like for Asia, the best deals are usually found 3-4 months in advance. Not sure about Alaskan airlines. Would appreciate some tips if I should wait for a while or just book now for my July trip from LAX.

I would watch Google flights and set up an alert. Depending on your day of travel in July, I am seeing $225-285 for most days to BZE, but dependent on the day of the week. I feel like that's a pretty good fare and would book that now, set an alert on Google Flights and get a wallet credit if it drops. I find Alaska fares tend to steadily climb as you get inside of 30 day windows and they don't often go down, unless the cabin is empty. I went to BZE in November and AS was the least expensive of the options with routing from the west coast. And it was about that each way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.