Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the info, this was what I suspected!
Old Dec 17, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Wild question, apologies Im not very experienced. I see award availability SYD-LAX but want to get to SAT. Could I call Alaska to book this as one award?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Omnivore
Wild question, apologies Im not very experienced. I see award availability SYD-LAX but want to get to SAT. Could I call Alaska to book this as one award?
Which partner is operating SYD-LAX? If Qantas, you wouldnt be able to combine that award with an AA segment since AS currently only allows one partner airline award, and I dont think AS is flying LAX-SAT (except maybe via SEA).
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Is there a self-service way to change the FF number on my record after checking in and after checking bags? Previously, I have successfully changed my FF number prior to checking in, and I know I can go through that more than once to change it again, but can I do so after checking a bag?

"That's weird... why?"

Because I have AA status, but never want to credit anything to AA again (or fly AA again, for that matter). I'd rather shift all my activity to AS and pursue that -- but once in a while I need the AA benefits. In this particular instance, I'd like to check in as AA, check my bag for free, then adjust my PNR to earn AS miles. (Trivia: Star Alliance PNRs allow this; their back end is set up to have separate status and earning FF entries.)

Thanks, all.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lairdb
Is there a self-service way to change the FF number on my record after checking in and after checking bags? Previously, I have successfully changed my FF number prior to checking in, and I know I can go through that more than once to change it again, but can I do so after checking a bag?

"That's weird... why?"

Because I have AA status, but never want to credit anything to AA again (or fly AA again, for that matter). I'd rather shift all my activity to AS and pursue that -- but once in a while I need the AA benefits. In this particular instance, I'd like to check in as AA, check my bag for free, then adjust my PNR to earn AS miles. (Trivia: Star Alliance PNRs allow this; their back end is set up to have separate status and earning FF entries.)

Thanks, all.
I don't believe there is an easy way to do this. You'd have to request it after the fact via customer service and that can be a hassle.

You could try checking in a bag, and while at the counter ask to change the FF number. Maybe that'll work. Or maybe have the AS number on the booking and showing your AA status will get an agent to waive the fee?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
new to status

how do I check F availability and How do I check the waitlist including my position on it?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by psychtobe
new to status
how do I check F availability and How do I check the waitlist including my position on it?
There are a couple of ways to determine if FC is available, one is by using something like Expert Flyer. That will tell you how many seats and which fare classes are available. You could also do a dummy booking and see the number of seats available. For where you are on the upgrade list use "Flight Status" from the main menu in the tab Flying with Us, and enter today or tomorrow's date and flight number, scroll down past the flight map and you can view the waitlists. You can also change the last number in the URL for the next day. (two or three days out is the maximum that will work) This is before you check in. Checking in will also show you where you are on the list. The lists are mostly accurate, but you will see that others have had issues with not showing up, or not being upgraded despite a position on the list
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am looking to get back to the states from SCL on AS mileage ticket LATAM. I have SCL to MEX, in J. Is there any way to make that my stopover (that will be in fact what it is) and get an extension to LAX or LAS? I think I know the answer is no, but wondering if the wizards once again know way more than I do. Thx
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there no way to add an AAdvantage number to an Alaska award booking (I'm EXP on AA and currently no status on AS which is why I want to do this)? I thought you could do this if you booked like you're booking for someone else but it only let you put in an AS number when I did this. I tried DMing AS support on Twitter for it but they said no, and the Finnair site couldn't find my ticket number.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am looking to get back to the states from SCL on AS mileage ticket LATAM. I have SCL to MEX, in J. Is there any way to make that my stopover (that will be in fact what it is) and get an extension to LAX or LAS? I think I know the answer is no, but wondering if the wizards once again know way more than I do. Thx
Get a ticket to Tijuana (TIJ). Walk across the border "Cross Border Xpress is a convenient pedestrian bridge connecting the Tijuana airport to a terminal in San Diego, allowing travelers to bypass long border wait times. Enjoy hassle-free travel between Mexico and the US with our secure and reliable service." Get a shuttle to San Diego A/P or Amtrak station.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Is there no way to add an AAdvantage number to an Alaska award booking (I'm EXP on AA and currently no status on AS which is why I want to do this)? I thought you could do this if you booked like you're booking for someone else but it only let you put in an AS number when I did this. I tried DMing AS support on Twitter for it but they said no, and the Finnair site couldn't find my ticket number.

This keeps coming up a lot recently - see How to change Mileage Program of Companion when booking Award Travel

And I am rather annoyed if they really dont allow me to book with AS miles and use OW status earned elsewhere. Because what else could be the reason?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:52 pm

Question AA lounge access with Alaska OWE?

Hi! Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched but couldn't find relevant info. I am flying economy AUS-MIA-BGI (Barbados) on American. I'm Alaska MVP Gold 75K (thanks to Delta match), so also have oneworld emerald. I can't figure out if I have access to the American Airlines lounge in MIA. The flight is international, so I think yes? But my oneworld emerald is through Alaska, so maybe no? Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jatkins
Hi! Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched but couldn't find relevant info. I am flying economy AUS-MIA-BGI (Barbados) on American. I'm Alaska MVP Gold 75K (thanks to Delta match), so also have oneworld emerald. I can't figure out if I have access to the American Airlines lounge in MIA. The flight is international, so I think yes? But my oneworld emerald is through Alaska, so maybe no? Thanks!
Rules are here and check out the Alaska MVP section about half way down the page.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

I have had no problem using my Emerald status to gain access to the Admirals lounge system.
So assume it is ok unless someone knows any specific rules for Alaska MVP Gold 75K.

Last edited by Dselvan; Dec 28, 2023 at 8:08 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jatkins
The Caribbean islands and Mexico used to have some restrictions on lounge access, and still might. Your OWE will get you access for int'l itineraries, but all int'l flights are not created equal. You'll need to see if BGI is considered int'l in regards to lounge access. Looking at the AA website, they separate out AS OW status from OW status earned on all other OW airlines. The requirement for access is an int'l itinerary to locations including "Central America", but the page doesn't specify what countries are included. All you can do is go to the lounge and ask.

PS: Looking at their award chart and their region definitions, they have a specific definition for "Caribbean" which includes Barbados. The Caribbean is not one of the regions for lounge access. Still ask, but don't be surprised if you're denied. Also note your OWE will allow you plus one. So if you're traveling as a family, not everybody will be admitted. This is one of the reasons why I also have AS Lounge+.

Last edited by WillTravel4Food; Dec 28, 2023 at 8:10 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:01 pm

Thanks you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.