Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by jkenn
The hubbie flew LAS to SFO in J and credited to AA instead of BA (he needs the tier points). Is it possible that AS will reverse the credit to AA and credit to BA if he calls or emails them?
AS no longer has control over this. If the miles are credited with AA your husband will have to contact them to ask them to remove the credit. Then he can contact BA (with screen shots before and after to prove the AA credit has been deleted) and ask them to credit the flight to their program instead.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage + Alaska
Thank you so much for this information. That makes so much more sense! Is alaskaair.com generally considered the best place to try and search for these fares? Are there any alternative tools that make searching for specific fare types easier when deal hunting? Really appreciate all the details you've provided!
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Pusheen
Thank you so much for this information. That makes so much more sense! Is alaskaair.com generally considered the best place to try and search for these fares? Are there any alternative tools that make searching for specific fare types easier when deal hunting? Really appreciate all the details you've provided!
Going to assume you're replying to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34963622-post62.html

Yep, alaskaair.com is the best place to see fare information for AS flights. I definitely recommend using the website on a computer though, rather than the mobile website or the app. It's easier to navigate, shows premium class upgrade costs, and allows you to use wallet credit.

When searching alaskaair.com, click "All search options" and then put your Mileage Plan status tier in the dropdown:

Alternatively, when looking at fares, you can select an upgrade fare type on the left:

Then it'll take care of figuring out the fare classes for you based on your status. For example, if I select MVP Gold when searching SEA-PDX for Feb 22, I see

Because we're so close to departure, the cheapest Main fare is M (you can see the fare class if when you add the ticket to your cart). Since this is more expensive than N, the cheapest fare as a MVPG to get a premium class upgrade, they're the same price. When they're the same price, it's the same fare code either way; it doesn't matter which one I click - the various columns are just to make selecting various fare classes easier. So both of those are actually M fares, and if I pick either of them I'll be able to select a Premium Class seat for free. If Main is cheaper, that means that the underlying fare is one that as a MVPG I'm not eligible for a free time-of-booking upgrade to premium class, and so I'd need to select the Premium Class Upgrade column's fare if that's something I want.

But, for $20 more, I can select the First Class Uprgade fare. As a MVPG the cheapest for a time-of-booking upgrade to First is a K fare, and if I select that $239 fare K is what I see in my cart. Note for a time of booking upgrade not only do you have to book that fare, there also has to be upgrade inventory space available - that's the blue F on the left. If that F is white that means there's currently no upgrade space and you'll be in Main even when selecting that fare. Note that even if upgrade space is available, it'll still have you pick a seat in the main cabin during checkout. Once you finish checkout you'll get upgraded (again assuming the combination of status, fare purchased, and upgrade inventory available).

So I guess this is something like you were talking about in your original post, where an upgrade to First is only $20. But the only reason it's so "cheap" is because it's being compared to a very expensive Main fare of $219 thanks to being so close to departure. If I were to search for SEA-PDX 6 months from now Main would be $109, but the First class upgrade would be that exact same $239 because that's how much a K fare for that route is going to cost. In fact, that far out it's cheaper to just buy a First class ($139 on a random date I looked at) rather than First class upgrade because K is such an expensive fare and that far out the cheapest First fare buckets will be available.

But the gist of it is, at least when flying on Alaska you don't need to worry about the fare classes too much - the search tools on alaskaair.com are there to help you navigate them. Just tell it what Mileage Plan status you have and the columns will help you navigate what you'd have to pay to be eligible for various upgrades. And then you can check what the actual fare code is in the cart if you want to compare it to https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska in order to see if you'll earn any bonus miles.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:51 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Buying Miles

Hello! Sorry for the newbie question here:

I recently purchased some miles and following the transaction I was met with a 'Your Transaction is Pending' and received a confirmation email immediately. However, I noticed my purchased miles have not been credited to my account even though my bank card has been charged.

Is this normal? I recall the miles showing up immediately the last time I bought Mileage Plan miles three years ago.

Thank you so much for any clarifications!

clubeurope
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have to cancel an AA flight that had two attached AA SWU I earned as AS 100K that were to expire last Dec 31st. What happens to them now?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I have to cancel an AA flight that had two attached AA SWU I earned as AS 100K that were to expire last Dec 31st. What happens to them now?
In 2021 I cancelled a AA flight that a AA EXP friend put a normal SWU on, and when I tried to use the flight credit in 2022 the website forced me to call Reservations due to the attached SWU and the agent was able to apply the SWU forward to the new itinerary even though it was from the previous year. So it might still work. But I would go in with the expectation that the SWU is gone.

Last edited by remyjette; Feb 16, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:33 am

Hi all!

Needing to fly from LAX to MSO in late September, after arriving from Australia. My flight (ostensibly) doesn't arrive until 12:55 pm, which leaves two Alaska options and I'm not sure which is the best and wondering if you have any suggestions?

Option one is AS1147 to Seattle, then AS2478 to Missoula. This leaves LAX at 3:15pm so my worry here is that I might not get through CPB and etc. in time or that the inbound flight is delayed, and I don't make the first flight (Last time I went through CBP at LAX it was very quick, but this was at 5 or 6am local time, I imagine the afternoon arrivals might be a little different).

Option two is AS1301 to Seattle then AS2478 again - this is leaving LAX at 5:30pm but this means there's a tight 50 minute connection at Seattle to the last flight to Missoula for the day.

Obviously, this is some months away and I imagine they might fiddle with the schedule between now and then to make either of these options more\less convenient (I'm pretty sure AS1301 has changed as when I last looked, I am almost positive it was a 737 and now it's an A321). Pricing isn't an issue as they're both priced (at the moment) the same.

Is it worth booking one of these options now (if so which one), or waiting until it's a bit closer and the schedule looks a bit firmer?

Thanks! 😀
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K
So, I wandered from AS last week and took an AA flight with miles credited to AS. The first leg of the flight showed up in my AS account within 24-hours but the second leg still has not after 5 days. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Also, who do I call to work it out... AS or AA? Can't wait to deal with this... LOL. I'm sure whomever I call they will blame it on the other side.

Another item of note/learning experience for me: I incorrectly thought the 50% mileage thing with my AA fare class was just on the RDMs but it looks like it's EQMs too. Had I known, that may have made me stick with AS but the AA times sure did work out better (got upgraded to FC on both legs too which was nice - the second/longer leg LAX>OGG was literally as I was boarding).
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Quick upgrade question:

My understanding is that an MVP with a mere mortal member on the same PNR is not eligible for F upgrades.

And yet I find my dear wife and myself on the upgrade list of two flights tomorrow. Both were booked prior to me getting booted out of MVP75k-dom. We are still in the PC seats that I picked last year, but it seems they haven't bothered to take us off the wait list. Is this how it works? (not that it matters in this case; the F cabin is full for both flights). And if I soon claw my way back up to MVPG, will other future trips booked while I was MVP75K back in 2022 still use my 75K status for upgrade priority, or the then current MVPG status?
Well, today the miracle happened and I (MVP) and spouse (no status) got upgraded into F. Only a short Horizon hop, but still nice to end the long day in semi-comfort.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: *void
I'm a rookie AS rewards redeemer. I've been using the Alaska website to search for award space. Is there a better option to use, free or subscription based? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:08 am

Is there any website or app which calculates the cheapest itiernary for the Alaska companion pass?
Basically I am trying to use the companion pass in August 2023 and I want to achieve the following-
SAN to SEA (spend atleast 2 full days in SEA)
SEA to OGG (spend atleast 5 days in Maui)
OGG to SAN
Open to any days in august and trying to keep the total cost under $500 if possible.

thanks in advance
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by odom4president
Is there any website or app which calculates the cheapest itiernary for the Alaska companion pass?
Basically I am trying to use the companion pass in August 2023 and I want to achieve the following-
OGG to SAN
Open to any days in august and trying to keep the total cost under $500 if possible.

thanks in advance
What you are trying to achieve is a circle trip with stopovers in SEA and OGG. The companion certificate is limited to a one-way or round trip. You could certainly route SAN-SEA-OGG, stop, OGG-SAN but won't be able to add a stopover in SEA.

James
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by mtofell
So, I wandered from AS last week and took an AA flight with miles credited to AS. The first leg of the flight showed up in my AS account within 24-hours but the second leg still has not after 5 days. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Also, who do I call to work it out... AS or AA? Can't wait to deal with this... LOL. I'm sure whomever I call they will blame it on the other side.

Another item of note/learning experience for me: I incorrectly thought the 50% mileage thing with my AA fare class was just on the RDMs but it looks like it's EQMs too. Had I known, that may have made me stick with AS but the AA times sure did work out better (got upgraded to FC on both legs too which was nice - the second/longer leg LAX>OGG was literally as I was boarding).
Don't call anyone. If the miles haven't posted within two weeks just fill out the missing mileage form on the Alaska website with your AA ticket number, flight numbers and all relevant information.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:28 am

oh ok, i thought it would be possible to do a stopover with the companion certificate
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by odom4president
OGG to SAN

thanks in advance
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What you are trying to achieve is a circle trip with stopovers in SEA and OGG. The companion certificate is limited to a one-way or round trip. You could certainly route SAN-SEA-OGG, stop, OGG-SAN but won't be able to add a stopover in SEA.

James
I've done multi-city itineraries using companion certificates without a problem. You just have to make sure you put in the companion certificate and select "Multi-city" when booking on the Alaska site. Having said that, I don't know of any site or app that would help you find the cheapest itinerary other than using the calendar (flexible date) function on the AS website and finding the cheapest dates for each leg. It's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to keep the cost under $500 in August unless AS has a pretty big sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.