Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by VSLover
The Alaska website does not seem to be clear or i cant find it but as a owe in first i was charged for a 61lb bag which is fine on BA and AA….dies alaska not allow heavy bags for owe?
And I would have been charged too as a OWE and MVPG75K. The maximum weight is 50 pounds, period. It's unfortunate, as I'd rather have the 70 pound limit than an extra bag.
VSLover likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
The Alaska website does not seem to be clear or i cant find it but as a owe in first i was charged for a 61lb bag which is fine on BA and AA….dies alaska not allow heavy bags for owe?
They charge for bags over 50# regardless of OW status.
VSLover likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Thanks both. Glad i was not missing something here but definitely seals the fate of never flying alaska btw sfo/lax again which is unfortunate.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Finnair only works for Amadeus bookings (read: everyone in OW except AS/AA, who are on mutually incompatible SABRE systems).
A gate agent at HEL simply removed my Finnair FF to make sure the OW Sapphire benefits from my Alaska FF kicked in. Don't know when the AS miles will reach me though.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks both. Glad i was not missing something here but definitely seals the fate of never flying alaska btw sfo/lax again which is unfortunate.
If you are connecting to an Int'l OW (or even non-OW) flight, the odds are good that the baggage weight allowance is that of the connecting carrier and not of AS.
ashill likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
An interesting inconsistency in the European earnings chart. AA/AY/BA/IB codeshare on many of the TATL flights. AY is the only carrier where AS gives 50% for O class (standard cheap economy) rather than 25%.

I'm looking at a set of AA flights in Basic Economy to Italy which ring up as B, which is not on the AS earnings chart. I can buy the same tickets through AY in O class, but the flight numbers are in the 4000/5000 series and the AS site states only flights from 1-2000 are eligible for earnings. Neither AA or BA have eligible flight ranges and IB's is 0001-9999. Odd that AY has that restriction unlike its other European partners.

So I can buy through AA and hope the award chart gets updated (unlikely), buy through AY and hope for the best (also unlikely), or buy a worse flight that's $35 more through BA and lock-in the minimal O earnings. It's only 3,000 or so miles at 25% so might just buy through AY and hope for the best. Buying through AY also makes the flights changeable rather than AA which has locked in it's basic economy tickets with no changes.
What was the result of your situation? (Looks like AS didn't change their chart for AA?)

I might actually have a similar situation coming up, where AA (in B) gives 0%, and the corresponding ticket on BA (in O) at least gives 25%. The BA option is slightly more expensive.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
What was the result of your situation? (Looks like AS didn't change their chart for AA?)

I might actually have a similar situation coming up, where AA (in B) gives 0%, and the corresponding ticket on BA (in O) at least gives 25%. The BA option is slightly more expensive.
Snoozed a bit on buying the ticket and ended up buying through AA in B nonstop JFK-MXP and then back FCO-MAD-JFK in O on IB marketed by AA because it was priced the best. Did not post by itself, did not post when I input through the system, but AS did give me the right miles FCO-MAD-JFK after I emailed. I also complained about not getting any miles on AA in B JFK-MXP and got RDM posted as a goodwill gesture, but I was going after EQM so that didn't work.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:05 pm

Snoozed a bit on buying the ticket and ended up buying through AA in B nonstop JFK-MXP and then back FCO-MAD-JFK in O on IB marketed by AA because it was priced the best. Did not post by itself, did not post when I input through the system, but AS did give me the right miles FCO-MAD-JFK after I emailed. I also complained about not getting any miles on AA in B JFK-MXP and got RDM posted as a goodwill gesture, but I was going after EQM so that didn't work.
Hmm... concerning the AA in B JFK-MXP... the AS chart for AA doesn't list B? (I'm thinking AA-marketed B-class doesn't usually earn RDM or EQM on AS)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hmm... concerning the AA in B JFK-MXP... the AS chart for AA doesn't list B? (I'm thinking AA-marketed B-class doesn't usually earn RDM or EQM on AS)
Correct. A B-class ticket on AA is as good as a ticket on Air Italy...but you do get perks such as lounge access and Main Cabin Extra if applicable. The JFK-MXP flight has great departure/arrival times.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:59 pm

Correct. A B-class ticket on AA is as good as a ticket on Air Italy...

but you do get perks such as lounge access and Main Cabin Extra if applicable. [...]
I think AS or AA suspended MCE on AA BE-fares, for AS elites, says VFTW.

It would seem a webpage on AS' site now reflects this, also reproduced below. Maybe MCE eligibility changed since you flew? Also, not sure if this is enforced by AA's system. In fact, maybe they distinguish between international BE and domestic BE.

Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:02 pm

Why are there still no award redemptions on new Oneworld partner airlines ? Why is it taking so long ??
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Has anyone called AS to make a reservation for alliance partner flights? What's it like? So far I have used the partner's website to order directly.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Has anyone called AS to make a reservation for alliance partner flights? What's it like? So far I have used the partner's website to order directly.
Why on earth would you do that instead of just booking on line? Why would you expect AS to be able to do that when they haven’t even hooked up the award engine yet?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Why are there still no award redemptions on new Oneworld partner airlines ? Why is it taking so long ??
They're given an estimated time (later in 2021), so if they still aren't here on January 1, 2022, that's probably when to start asking this question again. It's taking a long time because it's not trivial, and resources are not unlimited.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
An MVPG booking main cabin on AA gets Main Cabin Extra seating at the time of booking. Do any other oneworld airlines offer a similar seating benefit to MVPG/Sapphire?

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.