FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:01 pm
futuramadramallama

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
An interesting inconsistency in the European earnings chart. AA/AY/BA/IB codeshare on many of the TATL flights. AY is the only carrier where AS gives 50% for O class (standard cheap economy) rather than 25%.

I'm looking at a set of AA flights in Basic Economy to Italy which ring up as B, which is not on the AS earnings chart. I can buy the same tickets through AY in O class, but the flight numbers are in the 4000/5000 series and the AS site states only flights from 1-2000 are eligible for earnings. Neither AA or BA have eligible flight ranges and IB's is 0001-9999. Odd that AY has that restriction unlike its other European partners.

So I can buy through AA and hope the award chart gets updated (unlikely), buy through AY and hope for the best (also unlikely), or buy a worse flight that's $35 more through BA and lock-in the minimal O earnings. It's only 3,000 or so miles at 25% so might just buy through AY and hope for the best. Buying through AY also makes the flights changeable rather than AA which has locked in it's basic economy tickets with no changes.
What was the result of your situation? (Looks like AS didn't change their chart for AA?)

I might actually have a similar situation coming up, where AA (in B) gives 0%, and the corresponding ticket on BA (in O) at least gives 25%. The BA option is slightly more expensive.