Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:52 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but has anyone had trouble with the AA/AS seating reciprocity benefits?

I made a dummy booking and AA recognized my AS status and allowed me to pick a "Preferred" seat...ditto when I made a dummy booking on CX. However if I try to make a dummy booking on AS with my AA number I am not able to select seats from the "Alaska and Oneworld Elites section".
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Not really a problem but my Alaska Visa miles were credited to my account twice yesterday. Also, my annual fee posted yesterday, but they gave me two companion passes for some reason. Guessing there are some bugs in the system, hopefully it works out in my favor.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by spgaston
Checked my BA reservation today.. unable to select seats without the exorbitant fees as MVPG. Will check back tomorrow, then if still unable will jump hoops to remove and re-enter frequent flyer number and try again.
I had the same problem as I had my Alaska FF# already in the reservation. Finair did not work for me so used the Qatar site. Pulled up my reservation using my BA confirm code and first changed it to my BA FF# saved it and then went back in and readded my Alaska FF#. For awhile the seats were not taking but later in the afternoon, it was working. Good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
With AS now providing priority baggage, does this mean there will be actual priority handling or just symbolic and no change behind the scenes... also maybe AS will finally integrate the baggage tracking into the app to be more like AA. I have noticed though that even with priority baggage tags on other airlines, my bags more often than not come off in the middle of the pile. Only in Australia on qantas and Virgin do they actually come off always first and even faster with a slight pause before the general baggage delivers.

ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
With AS now providing priority baggage, does this mean there will be actual priority handling or just symbolic and no change behind the scenes...
I doubt it, but people can report their experience and we shall wait and see. I haven't checked any bags for a long time, but my past experience with Sky Team members were very consistent, especially Delta.
I don't think the attached tag works, just a symbol for customers to see. It's the barcode will decide which bag to go first. I could be wrong.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I doubt it, but people can report their experience and we shall wait and see. I haven't checked any bags for a long time, but my past experience with Sky Team members were very consistent, especially Delta.
I don't think the attached tag works, just a symbol for customers to see. It's the barcode will decide which bag to go first. I could be wrong.
My assumption is that AS will not change how they're off-loading bags to prioritize these as the 20 min guarantee is still in place and pretty quick, but instead will be useful for checking bags through to connections on OW partners that do offer priority bag service..
ACBLtd and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is there some sort of compilation for what benefits we get as a OW Member from AS, specifically seating arrangements?

I've seen (and tried) that we can book MCE on AA which is amazing news, as well as the same variant on CX. I tried playing around BA and QF and I can't populate anything? Even if I add or take away my AS MP, nothing changes, so I'm not too sure how the preferred seating works per airline.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Is there some sort of compilation for what benefits we get as a OW Member from AS, specifically seating arrangements?

I've seen (and tried) that we can book MCE on AA which is amazing news, as well as the same variant on CX. I tried playing around BA and QF and I can't populate anything? Even if I add or take away my AS MP, nothing changes, so I'm not too sure how the preferred seating works per airline.

Any help would be appreciated!
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/on...tners#Benefits

I've found that I can select J seating with no charge on BA as well as on a QR R class segment with my MVPG number in the reservation.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Just noticed that full fare first class is now being called J on AS.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maokh
Just noticed that full fare first class is now being called J on AS.
Yes. Earns and burns as J.
AA also realigned the fare booking classes some time ago. so 2 class (first - economy) aircraft are coded as business and economy fare buckets
AS forum thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...3-31-21-a.html

Oneworld has some alliance wide products that use common fare class designators A(first), D(business) & L (economy)
https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If access to QF F and OW J(QF managed) is abused things could change.
Originally Posted by ashill
But why would it change with AS joining oneworld? AA has had the exact same lounge access rules for a very long time (decades) and has temporarily made them considerably more generous this year (as others noted). It's not like the AS service to Costa Rica from LAX is a huge increase in lounge-eligible passengers, and it will be an even-smaller increase in lounge-eligible passengers who actually make the trek over to TBIT. Assuming the AS flights aren't right at peak lounge times (haven't checked the schedule), I don't see why QF wouldn't happily take the bit of lounge access fees AS presumably pays as the operating carrier of the flight.
I agree with ashill here and have to ask why? I am an OWE with status through BA and I was a frequent visitor to the Qantas F lounge at LAX when flying on BA / AA / CX etc. Their access system is pretty robust in terms of confirming eligibility (i.e. OWE plus one guest) and early teething issues about trying to insist that you could only enter the lounge if flying on / connecting from a long-haul flight are long gone. I am not really sure what "abuse" could take place? You're either eligible or you're not.

I am definitely looking forward to being able to use my OW benefits when flying AS, as well as finally earning tier points for eligible flights. For other BAEC members who may be wondering I did look at BA's website today and the TP earning calculator confirms that we'll be earning TPs for AS flights.
ACBLtd and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all about balancing revenue against passenger experience.

The rules are simple and so long as the lounge operator, QD in this case, sticks to the rules, it ought to be easy.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
With AS now providing priority baggage, does this mean there will be actual priority handling or just symbolic and no change behind the scenes... also maybe AS will finally integrate the baggage tracking into the app to be more like AA. I have noticed though that even with priority baggage tags on other airlines, my bags more often than not come off in the middle of the pile. Only in Australia on qantas and Virgin do they actually come off always first and even faster with a slight pause before the general baggage delivers.

If that tag lessens my chances of getting 2,500 bonus miles for a late arriving checked bag, then I don't want that tag. I'm always a little disappointed when it arrives under the 20 minute mark....lol.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers which prioritize bags do so by embedding the bar code with a priority flag.

Those paper things are just meant to make people feel self-important. If AS is serious about priority luggage, that tag will be useful at a tiny outstation where "priority" means front vs. back of luggage cart.
seawolf and ACBLtd like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Carriers which prioritize bags do so by embedding the bar code with a priority flag.

Those paper things are just meant to make people feel self-important. If AS is serious about priority luggage, that tag will be useful at a tiny outstation where "priority" means front vs. back of luggage cart.
Totally agree it’s all about a symbolic soft product that makes the passenger feel more special even though it may not provide any actual benefit. But I do think it’s these types of small touches like a special priority tag that will make Alaska appear as if it’s providing a higher level of service for its higher paying or elite loyal flyers. At the end of it all, if half the bags on a plane have these tags then obviously it makes it redundant.

This is how I feel when it comes to United’s star alliance orange priority tag and I don’t think I’ve ever had my bag come off in the beginning. I’ve always seen many of these bags come off much later. What United does actually provide for priority baggage is the use of a yellow strap provided for 1Ks that need to gate check on the smaller regional planes. I’ve found this benefit to be really useful when having short connections from RDM to SFO and then onward. My bag is almost always one of the first ones unloaded.

Perhaps when the new 100K tier comes out, they’ll consider a special a la carte strap for regional flyers that always have to gate check on the Q400s. Most likely not but I’d be lying if I didn’t try to take a smaller carryon flying out of Redmond so I don’t gotta wait in the rain in Seattle for my short connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.