FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:33 pm
Geordie405

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If access to QF F and OW J(QF managed) is abused things could change.
Originally Posted by ashill
But why would it change with AS joining oneworld? AA has had the exact same lounge access rules for a very long time (decades) and has temporarily made them considerably more generous this year (as others noted). It's not like the AS service to Costa Rica from LAX is a huge increase in lounge-eligible passengers, and it will be an even-smaller increase in lounge-eligible passengers who actually make the trek over to TBIT. Assuming the AS flights aren't right at peak lounge times (haven't checked the schedule), I don't see why QF wouldn't happily take the bit of lounge access fees AS presumably pays as the operating carrier of the flight.
I agree with ashill here and have to ask why? I am an OWE with status through BA and I was a frequent visitor to the Qantas F lounge at LAX when flying on BA / AA / CX etc. Their access system is pretty robust in terms of confirming eligibility (i.e. OWE plus one guest) and early teething issues about trying to insist that you could only enter the lounge if flying on / connecting from a long-haul flight are long gone. I am not really sure what "abuse" could take place? You're either eligible or you're not.

I am definitely looking forward to being able to use my OW benefits when flying AS, as well as finally earning tier points for eligible flights. For other BAEC members who may be wondering I did look at BA's website today and the TP earning calculator confirms that we'll be earning TPs for AS flights.