Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Can you enter the ffn of the "someone else" when making the reservation?. Or leave blank?
AY, RJ & QR manage booking have been used to change ffn
I can enter any FF# or leave blank, but the FF program can't be changed from AS. (with a normal cash booking, there's a drop-down were you can select from multiple FF programs, but with an award booking there's no other option but AS)

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The AY tool to edit your FFN that is mentioned works just fine with AS, incidentally. It worked BEFORE the OW merger because AS was an AY partner.
Interesting. I tried the AY website but it didn't seem to recognize the AS confirmation code.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
(emphasis added)

Generally, the "hey, I want to use one program's status benefits while burning a different program's miles (or accruing)" crowd is a use case of FTers (or similarly knowledgable flyers) trying to save some money on lounge access or luggage fees, or get the absolute best earning deal.

Not surprisingly, airlines are in the business of making money and want to hold their costs down. Lounge access, for instance, is charged to the airline the elite belongs to. Miles earned incur charges (the airline earning miles will get to debit the airline that is transporting).

So this is why an airline will say "if you want to use your status with us or burn our miles you need to use your FFN in our program, you can't have a different airline for earning or status". It's a cost control measure preventing them from incurring additional costs beyond what they have to give you for status or burning miles. And of course frequent flyer program rules are the creation of airlines (and they can make and enforce their own rules as they see fit- in the end, using a FFP is 100% optional, millions of people fly airlines every year without crediting an airline).

The AY tool to edit your FFN that is mentioned works just fine with AS, incidentally. It worked BEFORE the OW merger because AS was an AY partner.
Well then, OW status has no real benefits. tt's simply not the "seamless" alliance they claim it is. The only benefits I would get flying on AS with my AA Platinum status would be if I booked a cash reservation, used my AA FF number, and miles would accrue to my AA account. Not such a great deal. My OW status can never be used when using a miles award on another OW carrier.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by econ
Interesting. I tried the AY website but it didn't seem to recognize the AS confirmation code.
Oh, what you're doing won't work because AY is Amadeus. AA and AS are SABRE. What I'm talking about is:

- book a partner flight on an Amadeus airline (in my case, CX miles on BA)
- Go to AY
- stick the AS number in there to replace the CX one
- go back to BA and confirm "yes, I'm using the AS number"

Boom, seat selection on BA.

Maybe give AS a call and see what a phone rep says?

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Well then, OW status has no real benefits. tt's simply not the "seamless" alliance they claim it is. The only benefits I would get flying on AS with my AA Platinum status would be if I booked a cash reservation, used my AA FF number, and miles would accrue to my AA account. Not such a great deal. My OW status can never be used when using a miles award on another OW carrier.
"But officer, why can't I speed my sports car at 150 MPH down the freeway and not get ticketed for speeding? Otherwise this car is USELESS!"

Your problem is with how AA (or AS, I guess) is running the program and writing their rules, not necessarily with oneworld. That being said, it's possible to have one program for earning, one for status. Singapore Air does this; KrisFlyer and PPS are two different programs, it's possible to use a Star Alliance status and credit PPS on an SQ flight. There's also specific ways to do this in PNRs, there's FQTV (frequent flyer account to credit), FQTS (frequent flyer status to use) and FQTR (frequent flyer program used for redemption).

The problem is AA isn't keen on letting you do what they want, it's their rules. It doesn't seem AS is either, if what you want is upgrades or whatever based on one program status and crediting to a different one. My BA redemption using CX miles seems to allow different FQTS and FQTR settings.

Also, what you're saying is not entirely true: you could credit paid flights on AS and redeem on AS using AA miles and your AA FFN (and status) could come along for the ride.

But "I can't do what I want ergo the status is useless"... well, I suppose. How often do you plan to be flying AS and not crediting AA, but still want to qualify and retain for status on AA? I mean, if it's going to cost you untold thousands upon thousands of miles... maybe you should status match to AS?

(Truth be told people flash the card to get into the lounge, while having the BP credit another airline, and do various trickeries like change the FFN at the gate minutes before departure all the time. Caveat emptor.)

Oh yeah, I remember back in the day I've stuck my AS FFN on a BA redemption with a phone call... maybe see what they can do for you?
Mwenenzi and ACBLtd like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 10, 2021 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I just made an award reservation on AS using AS miles. I waited until it was ticketed and went back in and tried to change my FF number to AA so as a OW Sapphire I could select premium seats. No way to change the FF number. Maybe this process just won't work when booking a reservation using AS miles. All OW benefits are lost then?
Did you select "Myself" as the traveler? Maybe try to make a new traveler with your name/info manually, with your desired OA FFN.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Think about it in reverse, for a cash reservation can you earn AS miles and at the same time use oneworld benefits from your AA Plat? You can't.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Think about it in reverse, for a cash reservation can you earn AS miles and at the same time use oneworld benefits from your AA Plat? You can't.
That's my point. OW status is useless. I'm Lifeitime Platinum with AA and that status gives me nothing with other OW carriers. OW means nothing to me. Does it to anyone else other than being able to accrue miles on one carrier while flying on another.?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That's my point. OW status is useless. I'm Lifeitime Platinum with AA and that status gives me nothing with other OW carriers. OW means nothing to me. Does it to anyone else other than being able to accrue miles on one carrier while flying on another.?
Are we flying the same alliance? I rather enjoy priority boarding and lounge access when flying international partners. Are you not taking advantage of those AA Platinum/One World Sapphire benefits when you travel outside the U.S.? Having lounge access across Australia has been particularly valuable to me, from small airports like Tamworth, midsize ones like Cairns and Perth, to larger ones like Melbourne and Sydney. Now that I have One World Emerald though Alaska versus my One World Sapphire through AA, I'm looking forward to first class lounge access again when departing airports like Sydney and Hong Kong plus AA arrivals lounge access at LHR.
ACBLtd and PlowJockey like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
The LT AA PLT gives you all the OWS benefits worldwide, per applicable rules, as long as you 1) credit your cash flights to AA, or 2) use AA miles for awards travel. Even though many of the OW airlines have partnerships outside of the OW framework and thus might offer reciprocal benefits to each other, a mix of them also compete with each other on many routes.
eponymous_coward and ACBLtd like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Maybe give AS a call and see what a phone rep says?
So this is what I ended up doing. Spent some time on hold listening to AS's version of the Safety Dance, then a friendly agent answered the phone and also greeted me by saying "Thank you for being a Oneworld Emerald". I told her that I was having trouble adding my AA FFN to a reservation, and she was able to add it with no problems.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For those of us AS regulars that haven't been preferred members of a global alliance, I would suggest that expecting seamless travel and benefits will lead only to gross disappointment at times. I've got experience with this, both on *A and OW. Issues from "we won't check your bag through on separate tickets (even though that was permitted when you purchased the tickets) to "you can't get your connecting BP until you get to the transit point in vastly overcrowded and chaotic European airport."

Nonetheless, I'm sure we'll all appreciate the lounge and seating benefits, not to mention having shiny stone names next to our own names.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:10 pm

So this is what I ended up doing. Spent some time on hold listening to AS's version of the Safety Dance, then a friendly agent answered the phone and also greeted me by saying "Thank you for being a Oneworld Emerald". I told her that I was having trouble adding my AA FFN to a reservation, and she was able to add it with no problems.
Just to clarify-- are you using AS miles for the flight, like I'm doing? And they will change your FF number once the reservation is ticketed and you were then able to get priority seating?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:50 pm

Just to clarify-- are you using AS miles for the flight, like I'm doing? And they will change your FF number once the reservation is ticketed and you were then able to get priority seating?
Yes, although I never put in any FFN in to begin with when making the booking. (when it comes to OW award bookings, my experience is that it is much more straightforward to have a FFN added rather than to change an existing one).

Was able to immediately choose preferred seating. Got an email a few hours later that I was upgraded to Premium Class.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:11 pm

Yes, although I never put in any FFN in to begin with when making the booking. (when it comes to OW award bookings, my experience is that it is much more straightforward to have a FFN added rather than to change an existing one).

Was able to immediately choose preferred seating. Got an email a few hours later that I was upgraded to Premium Class.
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. How could you make a booking using AS miles without entering your AS FF number ???
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. How could you make a booking using AS miles without entering your AS FF number ???
See post 91 above.
econ likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:47 pm

See post 91 above.
But I asked him in post #101 if his was an award booking and he responded "yes". Post #91 seems to apply to cash bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.