Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
75K on X fare, seat?

Hi,

Got matched to 75k and was wondering, if I purchased an “X” saver fare, I understand that my seats will be assigned at the gate and no upgrade to first class. However, my question is, would I be upgrade into premium class at least during the 120 hours upgrade time? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by flyer89
Hi,

Got matched to 75k and was wondering, if I purchased an “X” saver fare, I understand that my seats will be assigned at the gate and no upgrade to first class. However, my question is, would I be upgrade into premium class at least during the 120 hours upgrade time? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere. Thank you in advance for your help.
No upgrades into J or PC on X fare
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Exactly, that's why the elite tax delta between X and Main is almost always worth it, unless sub 500 mile flight.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Exactly, that's why the elite tax delta between X and Main is almost always worth it, unless sub 500 mile flight.
Ah ok, trying to do some MRs from PHX to ANC, guess I'll upfare it to "G" instead of "X" since it's only $60 differences between X and G, and I'll get to pick PC and have a chance to be upgraded. Thank you for the responses.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer89
Hi,

As others have noted, you will not be upgraded, even to Premium. There are usually some seats available at the "back of the bus" that are designated as Saver, the seat is light blue and has an "S" on it. Those can be selected at the time of booking, otherwise you will show on the "awaiting seats" list, which you can see at 24 hours prior to departure, and a seat will be assigned at the gate. The "awaiting seats" list is not strickly Saver passengers but will make up the majority of the list. Non-rev passengers and standby will also be present.

Saver seats SEA-LAX 5/15/21

As a 75K, you will still get priority boarding, full EQM, your Elite bonus RDM & a complimentary beverage.

Not only are you not eligible for upgrades, the most punative characteristic of Saver is that the fare cannot be changed or canceled. If you are outside of 24 hours before departure, you can cancel for a refund within 24 hours of purchase, otherwise your money has flown, whether or not you fly with it.

James
flyer89 likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 3, 2021 at 7:35 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 7:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

On the recent ex-SEA sale, a SAN - SEA - JFK routing the delta was almost 90$, I ended up caving and buying X and justified it by planning to buy some real food to take on the plane with me instead of playing upgrade roulette for the cheese plate x2.
NoLaGent and PlowJockey like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
On the recent ex-SEA sale, a SAN - SEA - JFK routing the delta was almost 90$, I ended up caving and buying X and justified it by planning to buy some real food to take on the plane with me instead of playing upgrade roulette for the cheese plate x2.
I hear you, and that's a good reason for some, I'm sure. Confirming PC at booking for that itinerary would be worth $90 for me, but everyone's different.

For me, the legroom would trump food any day, but I'm also tall.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I hear you, and that's a good reason for some, I'm sure. Confirming PC at booking for that itinerary would be worth $90 for me, but everyone's different.

For me, the legroom would trump food any day, but I'm also tall.
Yep I also hear you. One of the few advantages I have as a slim, vertically challenged frequent flier
PlowJockey likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:45 pm

Has anyone tried "same day confirmed change" with AA? I have an award flight booked through Avios which I have changed into Alaska FF (75k) and selected MCE seat. However there is a schedule change and this flight will now arrive much later. I'm trying to figure out if I can request same day confirmed change at check in. Any dps?
Old May 11, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Has anyone tried "same day confirmed change" with AA? I have an award flight booked through Avios which I have changed into Alaska FF (75k) and selected MCE seat. However there is a schedule change and this flight will now arrive much later. I'm trying to figure out if I can request same day confirmed change at check in. Any dps?
As flight base(as paid for) is a BA avios award more of a question for BA forum. Mixing BA-AS-AA may be problematic.
Let us know how it goes!
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:06 pm

I dont think the BA people would know. According to this chart https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp, Oneworld® Emerald members with elite status on Alaska Airlines can get complimentary same day confirmed change. Just not sure if this works on 1) award flights 2) award flights booked with partner miles. Anyway if nobody knows I'll just be the dp this weekend.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I dont think the BA people would know. According to this chart https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp, Oneworld® Emerald members with elite status on Alaska Airlines can get complimentary same day confirmed change. Just not sure if this works on 1) award flights 2) award flights booked with partner miles. Anyway if nobody knows I'll just be the dp this weekend.
Your issue is the OWE is not the same ffp as the award. Hopefully the form of payment (cash--BA avios-etc) does not effect the OWE benefit.
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC

My brain hurts!
Old May 20, 2021, 12:51 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meechyathere
My brain hurts!
When 100K is implemented, AS will be ordering a lot of even newer signs.
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 100K
Here's a problem: I'm a 75K, so OneWorld Emerald. I should be able to select seats on a Qatar business "classic" fare, but unable to do so without racking up a charge. I confirmed that members of other FFP's part of Oneworld have been able to select their seats at no charge on a "classic" fare.

Booked a paid "business classic" fare through Qatar's site on Qatar metal SEA-DOH-NBO prior to officially becoming OneWorld, so I'd bet that's the problem. The "classic" fare doesn't include seat assignment or lounge access, but both are supposed to be available with my status.

My AS FF number is on the reservation, but the Qatar website (which is really awful) attempts to charge me for each seat I select. I initially thought it was a temporary bug because seats were actually assigned for a moment after going through the prompts and not entering payment info, but checked the next day only to see the seat assignments gone.

Haven't tried calling yet as I figured I'd give it another month and then try again. And if you're thinking "why not just remove the FFN and then put it back in?", well....did I mention their website is awful? I've put in traveler details multiple times (DOB, Passport info, KTN, etc.) and it never updates in the PNR despite "saving" and completing all the prompts. As soon as I go back to manage the trip, the info is all gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.