Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXpress
An MVPG booking main cabin on AA gets Main Cabin Extra seating at the time of booking. Do any other oneworld airlines offer a similar seating benefit to MVPG/Sapphire?
​​​​​​
Generally "No".
MCE type seating (economy with extra leg room) is only offered by a few airlines. A few rows with exit seats for the rest. Premium Economy is a different class, just as is business class

The AA MCE seating is not a OW benefit. But an AS-AA agreement. AA used to offer MCE to OW mid-top status, but that was withdrawn some time ago. After a few weeks it was reinstated only for AA JV's partners (BA IB JL).

OW mid/top status has the OW benefit of "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*".
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
What that is in reality is different for each airline. I have never seen anything in writing what each airline defines as " preferred or pre-reserved seating*". For example QF does not include exit row seating as preferred.
PDXpress likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 14, 2021 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why on earth would you do that instead of just booking on line? Why would you expect AS to be able to do that when they haven’t even hooked up the award engine yet?
True. But picture your SFO-JFK AS flight arriving at 6p and your JFK-HEL AY flight leaving 10p. What if the former is late and I miss the connection?

And if they are on separate reservations, I don’t get free access to the SFO lounge, but if they are on the same, I do because it’s an international itinerary.

I suppose you could reserve SFO-HEL on the AY website since I'll be specifying the AS FF anyway, but what if there's no east coast layover and I miss out on maximizing the AS 1.5 EQM?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by vanillabean
True. But picture your SFO-JFK AS flight arriving at 6p and your JFK-HEL AY flight leaving 10p. What if the former is late and I miss the connection?

And if they are on separate reservations, I don’t get free access to the SFO lounge, but if they are on the same, I do because it’s an international itinerary.

I suppose you could reserve SFO-HEL on the AY website since I'll be specifying the AS FF anyway, but what if there's no east coast layover and I miss out on maximizing the AS 1.5 EQM?
“Hi, I would like you to sell me a ticket for a partner and route you don’t have an AS codeshare for (AY SFO-JFK), even though this isn’t bookable online. I would also like a pony and ice cream”.

I don’t see how this is going to work… I know AS is selling QF/AA codeshares. But not AY unless I am missing something.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Hi All!

I've searched in here but couldn't find anything - I have oneworld sapphire status, and i'm looking at booking a AS saver fare. Would I be able to access the elite/oneworld elite seating, or simply have the saver fare seating? I had a look when making a dummy booking and it looked like only the saver seats, but I didn't know if the elite status kicked in after booking or at any other time.

Also (sorry, just popped into my head!) if I book an AS flight with Avios, can I select the elite seating at the time of booking?

Thanks for any help/advice!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by greenmeadie
Hi All!

I've searched in here but couldn't find anything - I have oneworld sapphire status, and i'm looking at booking a AS saver fare. Would I be able to access the elite/oneworld elite seating, or simply have the saver fare seating? I had a look when making a dummy booking and it looked like only the saver seats, but I didn't know if the elite status kicked in after booking or at any other time.

Also (sorry, just popped into my head!) if I book an AS flight with Avios, can I select the elite seating at the time of booking?

Thanks for any help/advice!
1. Saver fare you would not get you non saver seating.

2. You will be able to book elite seating at time of booking using avios
Marschel and greenmeadie like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Thanks so much TravelingZoomer!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
1. Saver fare you would not get you non saver seating.

2. You will be able to book elite seating at time of booking using avios
Apparently, AS now has Premium Saver seating in row 1 between F and Premium Row 6....

James
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Wait what?!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
One of my favorite recurring IT glitches.
dayone and mildfrequence like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Apparently, AS now has Premium Saver seating in row 1 between F and Premium Row 6....

James
Yes, that is because row 2-5 are lie flats on the new 789 transcon aircraft.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Am on AA-BA ticket, BA does not recognize my OW Emerald status and is asking me to pay for my seat selection. Any work arounds? I need to scant number of miles to make it to 100K so uncomfortable changing out the number to my AA number, but that may be the only way.

Do I need to call? BA is crap when it comes to working with people on the phone.

How do AS flyers get their oneworld status recognized?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
Am on AA-BA ticket, BA does not recognize my OW Emerald status and is asking me to pay for my seat selection. Any work arounds? I need to scant number of miles to make it to 100K so uncomfortable changing out the number to my AA number, but that may be the only way.

Do I need to call? BA is crap when it comes to working with people on the phone.

How do AS flyers get their oneworld status recognized?
What has AS to do with this? AS status = OW Emerald
AS or AA or BA flight number?
AS or AA or BA operated?
Is this a paid ticket? Or award? Basic fares can be problematic.
Were you OWE when the flight was booked?
Many threads on BA selection issues, but with OWE should not be asked to pay.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What has AS to do with this? AS status = OW Emerald
AS or AA or BA flight number?
BA
AS or AA or BA operated?
BA
Is this a paid ticket?
Yes and not a basic fare
Or award?
Basic fares can be problematic.
Were you OWE when the flight was booked?
Yes - MVPGold 75K

Many threads on BA selection issues, but with OWE should not be asked to pay.
Super, can you point me to one

I know. I should call in the am, but it is nearly impossible to get through
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
Super, can you point me to one

I know. I should call in the am, but it is nearly impossible to get through
For a BA marketed BA operated flight the BA forum is the place to ask about seating (cost), The ffp of the OWE should not matter
Try
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For a BA marketed BA operated flight the BA forum is the place to ask about seating (cost), The ffp of the OWE should not matter
Try

issue was the leading zeros before my AS number - recognized by AA, but not on BA system. Removed the offending digits and my status displayed correctly. This is what happens when you are an alaska OG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.