Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Might be better for the general q thread but - is it currently possible to upgrade on BA and/or AA with AS miles?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Might be better for the general q thread but - is it currently possible to upgrade on BA and/or AA with AS miles?
OW alliance does not have an cross airline upgrade scheme.
AA & BA have an out of alliance upgrade scheme heavy with t&c's
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Tack
The ramp staff then just throws everything in carts to meet the 20 min TTC guarantee.
Except that’s great! Throwing everything in carts to meet the 20 minute guarantee should absolutely be their #1 goal. If priority bags systematically come out last, that is a problem, but for a 737 worth of bags, prioritizing getting all the bags out fast is absolutely right. If getting priority bags out first slows overall bag delivery down at all but they’re getting everything out in 20 minutes, I personally don’t care. Priority bags matter a lot more when bag delivery is spread over more time, such as is common with bags coming off an international widebody (which has more passengers, a higher number of checked bags per passenger, and bags in pallets rather than just loaded in the belly). For a 737-only airline like AS, I’m perfectly fine if they just ignore priority tagging and focus on fast and reliable delivery for all.
TravelingZoomer and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by ashill
Except that’s great! Throwing everything in carts to meet the 20 minute guarantee should absolutely be their #1 goal. If priority bags systematically come out last, that is a problem, but for a 737 worth of bags, prioritizing getting all the bags out fast is absolutely right. If getting priority bags out first slows overall bag delivery down at all but they’re getting everything out in 20 minutes, I personally don’t care. Priority bags matter a lot more when bag delivery is spread over more time, such as is common with bags coming off an international widebody (which has more passengers, a higher number of checked bags per passenger, and bags in pallets rather than just loaded in the belly). For a 737-only airline like AS, I’m perfectly fine if they just ignore priority tagging and focus on fast and reliable delivery for all.
But how else will I feel super duper special?

25 minutes and people seeing me be first with a shiny priority tag > 20 minutes and I’m last

(massive /s)
ashill and zs58 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
But how else will I feel super duper special?

25 minutes and people seeing me be first with a shiny priority tag > 20 minutes and I’m last

(massive /s)
SMH. It’s remarkable how easy it is to set up a straw man and knock it down.

I haven’t seen anyone on this thread suggest anything close to what you’ve painted here. In fact, most of us have said that we’d prefer no priority tags over a failed implementation of priority tags.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ctporter
This works if booked into or Upgraded into FC, but if sitting in PC, exit, or main cabin most agents will NOT orange tag the bag saying it is only for FC passengers. Ive been told that three times
when in PC. Once the explanation was that they are really trying to achieve the 20 min bag guarantee and thus will only do it for FC passengers.
Are you talking about the Orange Priority Baggage Handling tags? They are a benefit of OneWorld Sapphire and Emerald, regardless of fare class. If priority bag handling is important to you, you should take the agent’s name and badge number and write to Alaska Listens.

Having said that, you’re probably better off to skip the tags until/unless Alaska fixes baggage handling.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
question about checked baggage fees:

I'm AA Gold (OW Ruby). I'm traveling as a family of 4 (1 record locator) on Alaska on Economy Saver fare. Will i get free checked bags on my AS flight where i have AA FF# added?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dc9703
question about checked baggage fees:

I'm AA Gold (OW Ruby). I'm traveling as a family of 4 (1 record locator) on Alaska on Economy Saver fare. Will i get free checked bags on my AS flight where i have AA FF# added?
Yes. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ers-exceptions
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thatmikereed

Thanks. That's helpful. But some of the copy on that page is a little confusing - the extended members subnote. Does anyone know if all 4 members on the record locator get 2 checked bags (8 bags in total), or just me at the OW Ruby (2 bags)?

Follow up: Only the AA Elite got 2 bags. the rest of the family had zero bag allowance, and got the later boarding zone. When we boarded the gate agent didn't have any issue with the whole family going together.

Last edited by dc9703; Jan 16, 2023 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm OWE traveling with 2 companions, can I get myself and both of them into premium seats? and if so how?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm OWE traveling with 2 companions, can I get myself and both of them into premium seats? and if so how?
Asking the same question in multiple threads is no way to make friends (or get answers). As answered before, even AS’ own top elites can’t get 2 companions into premium class.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
75K with MVP on the same reservation on AS miles going SFO(AS)LAX(SQ)SIN. I am under the impression that I can’t be let into the LAX Alaska lounge (terminal 6), as Singapore is not in the OW alliance. Or the Los Angeles Business Lounge (Intl), Qantas (Intl), the AA Flagship Lounge (4) or any of the Admiral lounges (4, 5, 5)?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
75K with MVP on the same reservation on AS miles going SFO(AS)LAX(SQ)SIN. I am under the impression that I can’t be let into the LAX Alaska lounge (terminal 6), as Singapore is not in the OW alliance. Or the Los Angeles Business Lounge (Intl), Qantas (Intl), the AA Flagship Lounge (4) or any of the Admiral lounges (4, 5, 5)?
What class of service? Assuming Econ might be good use of lounge access pass. If business class you can access the star alliance lounges.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Your OW status will not get you access to any of those lounges.

If you are flying J on SQ, you can access the UA Polaris lounge or the *A lounge in TBIT.

If you have AS lounge membership, you can access AS lounge in T6.

Otherwise, you could use your AS lounge passes.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 24, 2023 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Kacee
Your OW status will not get you access to any of those lounges
Because SQ is not in OW, I take it. But going say JL to Tokyo would be okay?

Originally Posted by Kacee
Otherwise, you could use your AS lounge passes.
That works, yes. Or as I was just reminded, the Centurion lounge 3 hour rule doesn't apply to layovers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.