Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by clarrkkent
Here's a problem: I'm a 75K, so OneWorld Emerald. I should be able to select seats on a Qatar business "classic" fare, but unable to do so without racking up a charge. I confirmed that members of other FFP's part of Oneworld have been able to select their seats at no charge on a "classic" fare.

Booked a paid "business classic" fare through Qatar's site on Qatar metal SEA-DOH-NBO prior to officially becoming OneWorld, so I'd bet that's the problem. The "classic" fare doesn't include seat assignment or lounge access, but both are supposed to be available with my status.

My AS FF number is on the reservation, but the Qatar website (which is really awful) attempts to charge me for each seat I select. I initially thought it was a temporary bug because seats were actually assigned for a moment after going through the prompts and not entering payment info, but checked the next day only to see the seat assignments gone.

Haven't tried calling yet as I figured I'd give it another month and then try again. And if you're thinking "why not just remove the FFN and then put it back in?", well....did I mention their website is awful? I've put in traveler details multiple times (DOB, Passport info, KTN, etc.) and it never updates in the PNR despite "saving" and completing all the prompts. As soon as I go back to manage the trip, the info is all gone.
I added FFN info using Finnair.

https://pointstobemade.com/how-to-al...s-as-you-want/

My Classic booking as an MVPG/OWS now has a selected seat. I've also been able to do change to an AS number using BA's site (I found that BA wanted to charge if I entered the AS number at booking, if I used my BA number to book I'd get charged, change using "Manage My Booking" and now I can select for free).
Old May 21, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a problem: I'm a 75K, so OneWorld Emerald. I should be able to select seats on a Qatar business "classic" fare, but unable to do so without racking up a charge. I confirmed that members of other FFP's part of Oneworld have been able to select their seats at no charge on a "classic" fare.

Booked a paid "business classic" fare through Qatar's site on Qatar metal SEA-DOH-NBO prior to officially becoming OneWorld, so I'd bet that's the problem. The "classic" fare doesn't include seat assignment or lounge access, but both are supposed to be available with my status.
<snip>
Seat selection issues with QR is common. Is your fare booking class R? That class has limitations
Other QR seating threads (are more)
Old May 21, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I added FFN info using Finnair.

https://pointstobemade.com/how-to-al...s-as-you-want/

My Classic booking as an MVPG/OWS now has a selected seat. I've also been able to do change to an AS number using BA's site (I found that BA wanted to charge if I entered the AS number at booking, if I used my BA number to book I'd get charged, change using "Manage My Booking" and now I can select for free).
I used the method you linked to remove and reattach my AS FFN. Finnair still doesn't allow me to select a seat, but perhaps you did that through Qatar?

Did you book your Classic fare prior to March 31?
Old May 21, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. You need to select seats on Qatar Airways.

My seat assignment was purchased on 3/25. I made a seat assignment after AS joined OW.
Old May 21, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes. You need to select seats on Qatar Airways.

My seat assignment was purchased on 3/25. I made a seat assignment after AS joined OW.
Thanks.

Oddly, still not able to select seats. I called Qatar who transferred me to the PC hotline. The rep said my FFN wasn't attached even though it showed up in passenger details on my end. Once added, he could see my OW Emerald status, but he also couldn't select seats without bypassing the paywall. He agreed I should be able to select seats complimentary and submitted a ticket for the problem.

Edit: Finally worked! Went through AY again and added passenger details that won't update on QR's site. Went back to the QR site to check those details were in fact there and decided to try seat selection again. Finally worked. So either the ticket submitted got this working, there is a delay between syncing AY to Amadeus to QR, or the 7th try was the charm.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by clarrkkent; May 21, 2021 at 5:07 pm
Old May 21, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

Oddly, still not able to select seats. I called Qatar who transferred me to the PC hotline. The rep said my FFN wasn't attached even though it showed up in passenger details on my end. Once added, he could see my OW Emerald status, but he also couldn't select seats without bypassing the paywall. He agreed I should be able to select seats complimentary and submitted a ticket for the problem.

Edit: Finally worked! Went through AY again and added passenger details that won't update on QR's site. Went back to the QR site to check those details were in fact there and decided to try seat selection again. Finally worked. So either the ticket submitted got this working, there is a delay between syncing AY to Amadeus to QR, or the 7th try was the charm.
Some back ground on QR business fares. Seating allocation does seem to change over time. May be a OW status benefit be applied
11 Nov 2020 (ExeTrav Au)--->https://www.executivetraveller.com/n......-basic-fare
And (19 Nov 2020) https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-lounge-access
Old May 22, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
AA codeshare on CX is still not posting automatically after AS has joined oneworld?
Old May 24, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Got an interesting one today…

Flying today and tomorrow from LAX-ANC in able to meet the “travel 20k to meet the challenge requirement for MVP75K” … tried to accessed AS lounge in SEA N-gates and was told that it would be a one time exception since my BA Gold number has to be in my PNR in able to access the lounge and not my AS number. AA has never give me any issues for using BA Gold card/number for access. So what gives? Am I wrong to think that I can use the BA Gold card for domestic lounges access? Or does my BA # has to be in the PNR? I mean I could always put in the BA# and then asked to switched back to AS number at the gate… just a bit more hassle…

In another note, this lounge is nice! Staffs are trained by Starbucks to make the coffees… can’t beat that!
Old May 24, 2021, 4:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by flyer89
Got an interesting one today…

Flying today and tomorrow from LAX-ANC in able to meet the “travel 20k to meet the challenge requirement for MVP75K” … tried to accessed AS lounge in SEA N-gates and was told that it would be a one time exception since my BA Gold number has to be in my PNR in able to access the lounge and not my AS number. AA has never give me any issues for using BA Gold card/number for access. So what gives? Am I wrong to think that I can use the BA Gold card for domestic lounges access? Or does my BA # has to be in the PNR? I mean I could always put in the BA# and then asked to switched back to AS number at the gate… just a bit more hassle…

In another note, this lounge is nice! Staffs are trained by Starbucks to make the coffees… can’t beat that!
This is not correct, neither to their handy flowchart, nor to the OW access rules. Politely show them the verbiage and ask for a supervisor if met with resistance, but in my experience it’s not about lounge dragons being lounge dragons but the fact nearly no BAEC elites are flying and there’s almost no practice for some of the agents, especially at N since most elites have PP anyways
Old May 24, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
This is not correct, neither to their handy flowchart, nor to the OW access rules. Politely show them the verbiage and ask for a supervisor if met with resistance, but in my experience it’s not about lounge dragons being lounge dragons but the fact nearly no BAEC elites are flying and there’s almost no practice for some of the agents, especially at N since most elites have PP anyways
Yea, she brought out the flow chart, and I even pointed to her where it says “emerald from other frequent flyers (beside from AA/AS)” —> “access to lounge + 1 companion”. So she allowed me access the lounge “as a one time”. While I was waiting for my auto-pancakes machine maker. She came to me saying that I do have access as a BA Emerald but my BA# has to be in the PNR instead of my AS#. I have already contacted customer care and see what they said so for my 6 hours layover tomorrow in SEA, I can just show her. Or worse case, switch out my AS number for my BA and switch it back at the gate.

I chat with customer service first through text first and the guy even suggested that saying “if they still haven’t allow you to access, I can switch your number to BA gold.” But he agreed that I should have access.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:36 pm

Sapphire benefit(s) confusion…

I am lifetime platinum with AA. AS does not recognize my status in their system yet. They say to wait til mid-summer when their systems will automatically acknowledge status. So I called AS to get upgraded to Premium Seats for our flight tomorrow. The agent said she would have to put my AA number in and take out the AS number. That done, she was able to assign us Premium Seats. BUT, now I have to pay for luggage. She said Sapphire only gets one upgrade benefit so I had to choose between seats or luggage. If this is correct, then I have a problem because we have two trips to Mexico scheduled. When I booked, I was automatically assigned Premium Seats. Does that mean that my luggage benefits have been canceled?
Old May 25, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CAtraveker
I am lifetime platinum with AA. AS does not recognize my status in their system yet. They say to wait til mid-summer when their systems will automatically acknowledge status. So I called AS to get upgraded to Premium Seats for our flight tomorrow. The agent said she would have to put my AA number in and take out the AS number. That done, she was able to assign us Premium Seats. BUT, now I have to pay for luggage. She said Sapphire only gets one upgrade benefit so I had to choose between seats or luggage. If this is correct, then I have a problem because we have two trips to Mexico scheduled. When I booked, I was automatically assigned Premium Seats. Does that mean that my luggage benefits have been canceled?
Use the Finnair website method mentioned above to switch it back to your AS number now that your seats are selected.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Use the Finnair website method mentioned above to switch it back to your AS number now that your seats are selected.
I have 3 reservations made directly with AS. The Finnair site will not display the reservations with the AS booking numbers.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAtraveker
That's not true. AA elites get seat upgrades and luggage.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Finnair only works for Amadeus bookings (read: everyone in OW except AS/AA, who are on mutually incompatible SABRE systems).
dayone likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:10 pm

I told the agent that I bought the ticket with my AS cc which gives me free luggage but she put me on hold and talked to her “team” and was told I picked seat upgrades so I do not qualify for free luggage. She referred me to the AS website’s OneWorld tab that says Emerald gets extra luggage but doesn’t mention luggage for Ruby nor Sapphire. However, when I checked in for tomorrow’s flight, it gave me an option for 2 free luggage. So, not sure if that’s because I bought the tickets with my AS cc or because I am Sapphire through my AA platinum status. It’s confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.