Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Seat selection on Qatar classic fare with BA Gold

Seat selection on Qatar classic fare with BA Gold

Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
Posts: 128
Seat selection on Qatar classic fare with BA Gold

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience of booking a Qatar Classic Business Fare and supplying your BA Gold number to open up the ability to select seats? I'm not fussed about lounge access but seat selection for my family of four is fairly important.

TIA
marble35 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 1,493
QR Business Classic fares (R class) are not eligible for free seat selection normally but are for OW elites.
You would probably have to call in to get your seats booked as some FTers have said the seat selection button is hidden on fares booked in R class.
For more details go to QR unbundles business class with new R fares
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:34 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,219
Originally Posted by realgaga
QR Business Classic fares (R class) are not eligible for free seat selection normally but are for OW elites.
For more details go to QR unbundles business class with new R fares
Unless I'm missing something - your link shows OW Emerald gets free seat selection ?



edit - did you amend your post ?!
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:35 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Unless I'm missing something - your link shows OW Emerald gets free seat selection ?



edit - did you amend your post ?!
Yes I did after seeing the OP is BA Gold (OWE).
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: OW
Posts: 226
Practically you can select your seat prior to payment but there is no (as far as I am aware) ability to then change your seat (or select one if you did not prior to payment) in QR MMB once ticketed, which is obviously not ideal/consistent with the above chart.
eh220160 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by eh220160
Practically you can select your seat prior to payment but there is no (as far as I am aware) ability to then change your seat (or select one if you did not prior to payment) in QR MMB once ticketed, which is obviously not ideal/consistent with the above chart.
You may want to try selecting the seat on the RJ, AT or AY sites (using your QR booking reference number).
ernestnywang and eh220160 like this.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:51 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: OW
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by cheltzel
You may want to try selecting the seat on the RJ, AT or AY sites (using your QR booking reference number).
No dice I'm afraid - can access booking on AY but clicking "Select your seat" gives the following "Unfortunately we cannot sell a seat for this flight. You will be assigned a seat at check-in."
eh220160 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:31 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by realgaga
Yes I did after seeing the OP is BA Gold (OWE).
Cheers for the replies. And I'm guessing (hoping!) that it applies to all travellers on the booking? i.e. I'm gold and lead passenger, my wife and kids are bronze/blue.

TIA,
N.
marble35 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 194
I booked a QR Business Classic fare yesterday as BA gold and I was allowed to select my seats for free during the online booking process.
Boten is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by marble35
And I'm guessing (hoping!) that it applies to all travellers on the booking?
Correct.
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 50
I have an "R" fare booked with my BA gold number added and there's no problem selecting seats (for free) in Manage Booking on the Qatar website. Can't comment if non status travel companions would receive any benefits however.
MartinJS is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,607
Originally Posted by MartinJS
I have an "R" fare booked with my BA gold number added and there's no problem selecting seats (for free) in Manage Booking on the Qatar website. Can't comment if non status travel companions would receive any benefits however.
They do, Myself and my Bronze GF have a trip to HKG in Nov. My Gold allowed me to select seats for both of us on an R fare.
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:31 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by eh220160
Practically you can select your seat prior to payment but there is no (as far as I am aware) ability to then change your seat (or select one if you did not prior to payment) in QR MMB once ticketed, which is obviously not ideal/consistent with the above chart.
As a QR Plat, I also had the issue where I couldn't change my seats after some point.
I called the hotline and the hotline agents were able to help me while the online tool is not working.

If the online tool doesn't work, it doesn't mean that it's not possible to change seats.
eh220160 likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:56 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 264
I recently made a booking on BA.com for a return trip LHR - DOH - SEZ. All flights were booked in Biz class, on BA flight numbers. I am not able to select seats on the BA site or the QR or AY sites. The RJ site did work but not for all flights as crucially, it didn't show seat availability, just the seat map so whenever I selected an unavailable seat, an error message was generated. I don't know if this is a usual defect, or was due to the fact that I was connected via my work VPN. Anyway, I then tried on the AT (Royal Air Maroc) site, while still on the VPN, and I could easily see seat availability for all the flights. I selected the seats and then clicked on "continue", which saved the seat selection.
I am OWE.
ernestnywang likes this.
Yanshuf is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:59 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by Yanshuf
I recently made a booking on BA.com for a return trip LHR - DOH - SEZ. All flights were booked in Biz class, on BA flight numbers. I am not able to select seats on the BA site or the QR or AY sites. The RJ site did work but not for all flights as crucially, it didn't show seat availability, just the seat map so whenever I selected an unavailable seat, an error message was generated. I don't know if this is a usual defect, or was due to the fact that I was connected via my work VPN. Anyway, I then tried on the AT (Royal Air Maroc) site, while still on the VPN, and I could easily see seat availability for all the flights. I selected the seats and then clicked on "continue", which saved the seat selection.
I am OWE.
This is a known issue.
The QR website doesn't allow seat selection for 125- stock tickets.

At least you were able to solve the issue through the AT website.
ernestnywang likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.