Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
United did something similar with their P fares a couple years back. If you wrote to support both before and after the trip they would give you credit based on time of purchase, otherwise it was based on time of travel. I wouldn't be surprised if AS is also willing to grease the squeakiest wheels among us
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
There will be a slight incentive to fly and credit to AA, since AA gives 200% EQM for these classes. For those of us with status on both carriers, this is a relevant consideration.
I have both AA EP and AS 75K status and had already made the decision to drop my AS status after this year (I would have already lost it without the status extension). I plan to continue with AA only (with the exception of AA codeshares on AS)... looks like AS is only providing more incentive now for others to do the same.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 9:20 pm

It was great of AS to send all of us elite flyers an email letting us know about this. Oh....wait.
Kacee, pcoll, anteater and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm usually right there with you on holding airlines to obligations... but really?? After a pandemic that gutted their business and forced significant job reductions, and after they extended status and gave out rollover EQMs ON TOP of the EQM bonus that's been out there for months... and with I fares at historically low levels

I think we will all survive earning 248% instead of 263% on I fares.

The struggle is real, people.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by metallo
I have both AA EP and AS 75K status and had already made the decision to drop my AS status after this year (I would have already lost it without the status extension). I plan to continue with AA only (with the exception of AA codeshares on AS)... looks like AS is only providing more incentive now for others to do the same.
With international flying increasingly dead, it will be much harder to qualify for both. Haven't decided which one I'll ditch, but getting 50% extra EQM on discount front cabin fares on AA is certainly a draw.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I'm usually right there with you on holding airlines to obligations... but really?? After a pandemic that gutted their business and forced significant job reductions, and after they extended status and gave out rollover EQMs ON TOP of the EQM bonus that's been out there for months... and with I fares at historically low levels

I think you missed the point... I could stomach the reduction in the COS bonus alone. It's the changing of tickets that were previously purchased with the understanding of earning a 75% COS bonus as well as the lack of communication that are the issues for me.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

It's not about the devaluation or OW alignment however you want to call it. It's the fact there is absolutely no notice coming from Alaska about the fare class change. It seems they don't intend to honor the existing service class bonus for ticket bought before the change. These airlines continue to receive billions of subsidy from the government and they deserve 0 sympathy from us. Just because they did the absolute minimum (extending status, rollover, lowering elite requirements) to stay competitive with AA/UA/DL, doesnt mean they get to use covid as an excuse to race to the bottom. Stop being an airline apologist and corporatist and stand up for your rights as consumer.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
There will be a slight incentive to fly and credit to AA, since AA gives 200% EQM for these classes. For those of us with status on both carriers, this is a relevant consideration.
I hate to burst your bubble but effective April 1st AAdvantage earnings on AS F, P & I fares (which will become J, D & I fares) will only earn 150% EQM, just as Mileage Plan members flying AA and crediting to AS do, so that obliterates your "slight" advantage of crediting AS flights to AA. AS will provide a 100% Class of service bonus (which is EQM & RDM) on J fares. Credit that to AA and receive a 75% Cabin Bonus. EQD for J, 35%, D & I, 30% The revenue "wall" for AA Status is a non-starter for many and historically cheap AS First Cabin fares won't help much in scaling the blockade between EQM and the finish line. EQM is easy to earn. How much you have to pay for them vastly differs. For ExPlat, you can't spend your way over the top with AA credit card EQD waivers even if the wall has been shortened to 80% of its usual height in 2021.

Earning AAdvantage Miles on Alaska Airlines:

On April 1st, a one-way SEA-LAX flight (954 miles) in I class for $119 will earn 2,147 EQM on AS. On April 1st, the same flight will earn 1,431 EQM & $286.20 EQD on AA.

AS Fares, SEA-LAX April 1st

To be fair though, there is still a "slight" AAdvantage for members crediting AS flights to AA as they will earn 50% faster towards Million Miler Status. Mileage Plan members only earn EQM for the actual BIS miles flown on AS metal towards Million Miler Status. With the tens of thousands of revenue miles I have flown on AS partner flights, my AS Million Miler balance has advanced by exactly zero.

James
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I hate to burst your bubble but...
FYI, Kacee was responding to your statement about booking and flying AS vs. AA domestic F/International J.

For an AA elite in that specific scenario, he is absolutely correct.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hate to burst your bubble
Nope. You misread.

It's not a question of which carrier to credit, but which carrier to fly.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
FYI, Kacee was responding to your statement about booking and flying AS vs. AA domestic F/International J.

For an AA elite in that specific scenario, he is absolutely correct.
[Flying for Fun: I guess there won't be any incentive to book AS F over AA domestic F/International J as they will earn at the same rate.]

What I originally said was that as an AS Elite, there wouldn't be any additional incentive to book and fly AS over AA as the effective earning rates for EQM/RDM in Mileage Plan would be the same on/after April 1st.

[Kacee: There will be a slight incentive to fly and credit to AA, since AA gives 200% EQM for these classes. For those of us with status on both carriers, this is a relevant consideration.]

Kacee's reply stated that those who have status in both AA & AS, crediting an AS flight to AA earns 200% EQM and was a relavent consideration for the "slight" advantage. I am simply pointing out that effective April 1st, AA earnings on AS flights and AS earnings on AA flights are harmonized. Whether AAdvantage or Mileage Plan, members should credit to their primamry carrier's frequent flyer program. If you are top tier in both then crediting an AS flight to AA affords no additional EQM advantage.

James
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I think you missed the point... I could stomach the reduction in the COS bonus alone. It's the changing of tickets that were previously purchased with the understanding of earning a 75% COS bonus as well as the lack of communication that are the issues for me.
that’s basically how I put it in my email to AS Customer Service ... the change with little to no notice is bad enough; applying it retroactively to tix purchased before the effective date (to say nothing of before the announcement date) is an order of magnitude worse
brizone likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:40 am

Kacee's reply stated that those who have status in both AA & AS, crediting an AS flight to AA earns 200% EQM and was a relavent consideration for the "slight" advantage.
Try reading again. Maybe your third try will be a charm.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:42 am

It is Interesting that they are changing P class to D class which currently is the fare class for refundable F awards.

"flights booked in "P" class will convert to
"D" and receive a 50% bonus; and flights booked in "I" class will receive a 50% bonus."

I guess there won't be any incentive to book AS F over AA domestic F/International J as they will earn at the same rate.

Will COS bonuses on Main Cabin fare classes be the next to go or be reduced?

James
[Flying for Fun: I guess there won't be any incentive to book AS F over AA domestic F/International J as they will earn at the same rate.]

What I originally said was that as an AS Elite, there wouldn't be any additional incentive to book and fly AS over AA as the effective earning rates for EQM/RDM in Mileage Plan would be the same on/after April 1st.

[Kacee: There will be a slight incentive to fly and credit to AA, since AA gives 200% EQM for these classes. For those of us with status on both carriers, this is a relevant consideration.]
Heh. Except you left out the part of your quote he was actually replying to. Kacee is still correct.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:45 am

Try reading again. Maybe your third try will be a charm.
I'm trying to make it as clear as possible for him, but there seems to be a Canadian to English translation issue.

Regardless, your point is an extremely valid one for those holding AA and AS elite status and flying on these fares on both airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.