Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: AS
We have flight for July 1 LAX/SEA . Booked F and currently 4 out of the 8 on seating map have been reserved. Concerned that they might combine flights and F will go to closer to capacity. Change of equipment to 900 and combining the 3:20 and 4:30 flights could make total percentage much higher. I guess we will just have to wait and see how summer travel ticks up.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I know that's AS's marketing pitch, but it's not consistent with Bellerina's first hand report upthread, nor is it consistent with what AS is currently allowing in terms of pre-flight seat selection. And I've been around the block enough times not to be willing to just have faith that the agents will sort it all out at the gate.

For social distancing purposes, I do not find the aisle desirable due to aisle traffic.
For the E175s, I believe they are blocking enough seats that all C seats could be free. I'm not sure what happened on my first flight on the 21st when one extra seat was taken, but they definitely did not upgrade everyone that was on the upgrade list. I do think if you book a D seat, you can ask at the airport for the person next to you to be moved or have yourself moved to an open A or D seat. Have you tried calling?

As for aisle traffic, it is very limited in F. If you book 4A, you should, in theory, have only 4C/D and the flight attendant if you board last. Myself and at least one other couple purposely boarded last. There was plenty of F overhead bin space and then less people to pass. And really, you can't 100% comply with social distancing on a plane. It's just not possible. I don't think WN would be safer, especially since the boarding process can still get crammed once you're on the plane trying to find your seat. PLUS, I'd much rather have my 1A aisle seat (or 4A) and not have to touch any of the other seats when getting to mine. I liked being able to board while touching nothing and immediately wipe down my seat and everything within arm reach with a lysol wipe. Would be harder to do on WN.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have Q400 flights booked (as part of larger itineraries) in July and in August, all with a companion. On all flights, all of the aisle seats are blocked and the message on the top says “We’ve created extra space on our aircraft that may impact your seat selection options. Details on our coronavirus response page”. The seat map confirms this so I have selected window seats one in front of the other. So AS is definitely still seat blocking for pre-flight selection even into July and August. At least for now.
I noticed the Q400 seat blocking continues into the summer....I prefer to sit next to my companions when there is no middle seat so I've been asking AS reservations via chat to move my companions to the blocked aisle seats. I suppose this opens up an unblocked window seat that would then be available for sale (unlike the blocked seats which I assume aren't for sale although I still can't imagine this will be sustainable for long).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
We have flight for July 1 LAX/SEA . Booked F and currently 4 out of the 8 on seating map have been reserved. Concerned that they might combine flights and F will go to closer to capacity. Change of equipment to 900 and combining the 3:20 and 4:30 flights could make total percentage much higher. I guess we will just have to wait and see how summer travel ticks up.
I had a flight booked (that I ended up cancelling later) where my original flight was cancelled and they wouldn't let me change to a different flight even though there were seats because the 50% F capacity would be breached. I had to change the day of my flight to find capacity with the 50% limit. Hopefully they will do the same for you. Will be interesting to get your report after you take the flight!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bellerina
And really, you can't 100% comply with social distancing on a plane. It's just not possible.
Yes, you're absolutely right. But I don't want to sit immediately next to someone. Including aisles across on an E75, which I did on UA. I was in 1A, and the pax in 1C and D refused to wear masks and carried on a loud conversation throughout the flight.
I don't think WN would be safer, especially since the boarding process can still get crammed once you're on the plane trying to find your seat.
I've flown UA, AA, and WN, and WN felt safest by far. On AA I self downgraded twice because they booked F full.
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have Q400 flights booked (as part of larger itineraries) in July and in August, all with a companion. On all flights, all of the aisle seats are blocked and the message on the top says “We’ve created extra space on our aircraft that may impact your seat selection options. Details on our coronavirus response page”. The seat map confirms this so I have selected window seats one in front of the other. So AS is definitely still seat blocking for pre-flight selection even into July and August. At least for now.
Must be the Q400s. No blocking on any of my three current June AS flights, all of which are booked in F on an E75.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:45 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right. But I don't want to sit immediately next to someone. Including aisles across on an E75, which I did on UA. I was in 1A, and the pax in 1C and D refused to wear masks and carried on a loud conversation throughout the flight.
On both of my AS flights the FA required everyone to have a face mask and everyone in F wore them unless they were eating drinking. FA stopped people from boarding if they didn't have a mask.

Must be the Q400s. No blocking on any of my three current June AS flights, all of which are booked in F on an E75.
They don't block the F seats at all on any plane, but limit sales. I can see on the E175s blocked aisle seats in Econ, but all F open for future flights. They want to give the F pax choice of where to seat, but given enough free seats that you can social distance. I DO think you'll be fine in a D seat, but if you want to stick with WN where you know you'll be okay, than I'm sure the others looking to buy F seats will appreciate the availability. You could always get an Econ seat on AS where they block the aisle seats.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Is AS providing masks or should you bring your own?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
In 2 recent F experiences on 737s, 8/16 were in F and the FAs were very open to people moving around during boarding and assisted when needed.
pcoll and Bellerina like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pdxparse
Is AS providing masks or should you bring your own?
During the boarding announcements they offered to assist those passengers that did not have a mask, but at SEA and PDX you have to be wearing a mask to enter the terminals so I am not sure how someone got in without a mask.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
During the boarding announcements they offered to assist those passengers that did not have a mask, but at SEA and PDX you have to be wearing a mask to enter the terminals so I am not sure how someone got in without a mask.
One of the gentlemen that tried to board without a mask at SEA tried to act like he was surprised. The FA commented that he should have been required in the airport and boarding. There were DEFINITELY announcements and signs throughout the airport and via the gate agent. Even in AZ where there have been less requirements, there were announcements throughout the terminal that masks were going to be required as of June 1st I think.

The FA did have a mask for the 2 people that attempted to board without one.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
That's the official policy, but I wonder who is in charge of enforcement? Airport police?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:39 pm

LAX also requiring mask at airport, even outside terminals. So, most should have some type of mask before boarding. But, I can see a situation where your mask got dirty from eating or drinking in terminal while waiting for boarding. In that case, I would See no problem with offering passenger a clean mask for the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On both of my AS flights the FA required everyone to have a face mask and everyone in F wore them unless they were eating drinking. FA stopped people from boarding if they didn't have a mask.
Enforcement varies by carrier. And likely by GA/FA as well. Staff are now leery of becoming the subject of the next viral YouTube air rage video.

They don't block the F seats at all on any plane
Their published policy makes it sound like they do. Though I can no longer find the text which says they will block aisle seats on RJs. In fact, they now say they won't guaranty an empty middle:
There are also times when our crew must travel last minute for work, which means we may require guests to sit next to each other to make it possible for everyone to get where they need to go.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:32 pm

Enforcement varies by carrier. And likely by GA/FA as well. Staff are now leery of becoming the subject of the next viral YouTube air rage video.

Their published policy makes it sound like they do. Though I can no longer find the text which says they will block aisle seats on RJs. In fact, they now say they won't guaranty an empty middle:
AS Blog May 19 has the text you are looking for. States F sales capped at 50% and middle Y seats blocked. If families want to sit together call reservations to have seats unblocked.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:42 am

Just changed flight last night. I have 2F. This morning, someone has selected 2D.
Cannot believe someone would choose that over 6 other choices. Other aisle seats available with no window seat taken. Very strange. I guess I will move my seat.
( Like when you go to matinee movie and 6 people are in theatre and someone sits right next to you)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.