Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by scklumb
I’m currently in an E175. There are 8 in first. But row 1 is completely empty and 2D. I asked the agent if they will fill 1A and 1D. She no we can only put 8 people in first. So even though couples are flying together and seated together They will not fill those other seats.
Interesting. I thought F was capped at 50%, but they've been blocking at least 1 or 2 seats in Row 1 for crew the last several months, so per this agent's info., it's actually 66% (8 of 12) on the E175. Maybe if someone already has 1A or 1D pre-assigned, it then becomes 58% (7 of 12)?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interesting. I thought F was capped at 50%, but they've been blocking at least 1 or 2 seats in Row 1 for crew the last several months, so per this agent's info., it's actually 66% (8 of 12) on the E175. Maybe if someone already has 1A or 1D pre-assigned, it then becomes 58% (7 of 12)?
I just flew on two E175 flights and on both flights had 10 in F. Including Row 1. We were battlefield upgrades and they put both of us in row 3C/D.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COS flyer
I just flew on two E175 flights and on both flights had 10 in F. Including Row 1. We were battlefield upgrades and they put both of us in row 3C/D.
Were you flying together?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
My flight in July now shows 8 of 12 seats “taken”. Still showing 1 seat for sale. A320 metal
not very happy with how this looks, hope seat next to me remains vacant.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This is really frustrating. If you're paying MORE, shouldn't you get the same if not better social distancing than Econ?! I really don't understand the logic here. Especially as the rest of F service (from lounge access to in flight service) has been reduced.
pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by COS flyer
This makes more sense, common sense. Some agents are by the book and don't think logically. If Alaska says 8 people in first, the agent puts in 8 people in first, period. If row one is completely empty why not put people on the upgrade list in those seats (it will still meet there social distance guidelines).

My partner, flew out this last Monday, same time as I did yesterday. He was in 7D on an E175. They put a stranger next to him in 7C. He noted they handed out 5 chocolates to golds and 75K in premium. He also noticed that seat 4A and 3CD where empty in first. Common sense would say upgrade people to 4A and 3C, or 4A and a couple flying together in 3CD. It would still meet social distancing. and get a stranger away from my partner in 7C, which does not meet there social distancing guidelines. Must have been the same gate agent I had.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS
Middle seat blocking - social distancing seating is in place through July 2020, not June 30. It was extended a couple of weeks ago. What was removed from AS page was the wording that First Class will be at 50%. Since social distancing seating is in place through July, it would stand to reason that it should also apply to F.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on the reports above, I'm cancelling my upcoming AS flights and going with WN, where I'm guaranteed an empty next to me. It also saves me a drive across the bay, which has become an issue again now that traffic has returned.
Originally Posted by pcoll
Middle seat blocking - social distancing seating is in place through July 2020, not June 30. It was extended a couple of weeks ago. What was removed from AS page was the wording that First Class will be at 50%. Since social distancing seating is in place through July, it would stand to reason that it should also apply to F.
Even for flights before July 1, it seems they will upgrade pax into the seat next to you. So basically no assured social distancing at all in F.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
An update:
pcoll and Bellerina like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
A friend of mine flying SFO-SEA right now told me a person was put next to him in a middle seat. Did they do away with middle seat blocking? Should he complain?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
A friend of mine flying SFO-SEA right now told me a person was put next to him in a middle seat. Did they do away with middle seat blocking? Should he complain?
Did he ask a flight attendant to be moved?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:00 pm

I'm texting him now. And as the the policy hasn't ended, I will recommend he make that request.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:02 pm

Did he ask a flight attendant to be moved?
Wait I just looked it up, it's an E75. Does social distance seat blocking apply to 2x2 configs in coach as well?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Wait I just looked it up, it's an E75. Does social distance seat blocking apply to 2x2 configs in coach as well?
It is supposed to. People have mentioned that there are exceptions that will be made if they need to accommodate a passenger from a canceled or delayed flight but I haven’t seen that language printed anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.