Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Looking at seat maps for flights in May and it appears all the aisle seats on the Q400s are blocked and on the mainline flights, all the middle seats (in premium/main cabin) are blocked. I know AS has been trying to space passenger out at the gate or during boarding, but this is the first time I've noticed seat blocking being applied over a mouth out on all flights. Even when travel significantly picks up, this may be the new normal for awhile until it becomes unsustainable when they will once again need those middle seats.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Looking at seat maps for flights in May and it appears all the aisle seats on the Q400s are blocked and on the mainline flights, all the middle seats (in premium/main cabin) are blocked. I know AS has been trying to space passenger out at the gate or during boarding, but this is the first time I've noticed seat blocking being applied over a mouth out on all flights. Even when travel significantly picks up, this may be the new normal for awhile until it becomes unsustainable when they will once again need those middle seats.
AS has been blocking 1A, 1B on the Q400s for a few weeks now. Those two seats directly face the FA in the jumpseat during takeoff and landing.

James
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Yep, this is new since yesterday. I have 2 flights in late May and on 737s and A320s they have all middles blocked and on an E175 they have all aisles blocked. They did not separate my companion sitting next to me on any of these flights, which makes sense and was appreciated. It seems a little bit like the social distancing version of "security theatre" since you still have people in close proximity in front and behind, but I'm sure it's still appreciated during these times.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS has been blocking 1A, 1B on the Q400s for a few weeks now. Those two seats directly face the FA in the jumpseat during takeoff and landing.

James
My two favorite seats on the plane
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yep, this is new since yesterday. I have 2 flights in late May and on 737s and A320s they have all middles blocked and on an E175 they have all aisles blocked. They did not separate my companion sitting next to me on any of these flights, which makes sense and was appreciated. It seems a little bit like the social distancing version of "security theatre" since you still have people in close proximity in front and behind, but I'm sure it's still appreciated during these times.
I haven't seen any advance blocking of first class.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I haven't seen any advance blocking of first class.
Not yet... Although the only reason I would even think about buying an F seat now would be if the 75% EQM bonus justified the fare difference.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like the seat blocking has been applied to the end of the schedule....picked a random flight on Christmas Day and all the middles were blocked.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Interesting. I checked my flight for May 18 late last night, around midnight, and it was still normal. Today all the middle seats are blocked out. Did not separate me and my partner either. Makes it a little harder to roughly guess how many people are going to be on the flight. I have been checking for a month, and it started with about 30 seats assigned, and as of last night it was down to 14. Maybe that is how they justify the increase in price, lol. Up until this morning the flight has been $137 for quite a while. Now it is up to $203. I just keep hoping it will be cancelled so I can get a refund.

Last edited by tatterdema; Apr 10, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Reduced F seats?

...just an observation but it seem AS is currently selling only half of F cabin. Some people can still sit together, as adjacent seats are still reservable.

If Im wrong and if F cabin actually fly out full, apologies but those days are likely still days away.....

Jiburi
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
...just an observation but it seem AS is currently selling only half of F cabin. Some people can still sit together, as adjacent seats are still reservable.

If Im wrong and if F cabin actually fly out full, apologies but those days are likely still days away.....

Jiburi
AS did announce a reduction in the F cabin to maintain social distancing. If you are an Elite and don't get an upgrade, that is why. From my last flight, it appears that they are only allowing one passenger on each side of the isle in each row in F unless the passengers are traveling together on the same PNR.

James
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Here's the official word on the AS website about blocking of seats in the main cabin and capping sales of seats in F:
  • First Class seat sales are being capped at 50%.
  • All middle seats on large aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • All aisle seats on small aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • We may need to ask you to change a previously assigned seat to provide for additional distancing.
  • Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport.
  • Extra space between guests is not guaranteed and is subject to weight and balance restrictions through 5/31/20. We'll re-evaluate our efforts to provide extra space in mid-May.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your day of flight, we'll rebook you on another flight or provide a refund.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Here's the official word on the AS website about blocking of seats in the main cabin and capping sales of seats in F:
  • First Class seat sales are being capped at 50%.
  • All middle seats on large aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • All aisle seats on small aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • We may need to ask you to change a previously assigned seat to provide for additional distancing.
  • Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport.
  • Extra space between guests is not guaranteed and is subject to weight and balance restrictions through 5/31/20. We'll re-evaluate our efforts to provide extra space in mid-May.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your day of flight, we'll rebook you on another flight or provide a refund.
Through 5/31/20? A lot longer than that...more like through the end of the schedule in March of 2021. It will be interesting to see how sustainable this is, particularly into the busy November/December holiday season.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Changes seem to be happening by the minute...now the flights with blocked middles after May suddenly have them unblocked again
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:25 pm

Through 5/31/20? A lot longer than that...more like through the end of the schedule in March of 2021. It will be interesting to see how sustainable this is, particularly into the busy November/December holiday season.
Changes seem to be happening by the minute...now the flights with blocked middles after May suddenly have them unblocked again
Perhaps an observant FTer uncovered an AS error that was quickly rectified.

James
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Perhaps an observant FTer uncovered an AS error that was quickly rectified.

James
Yippee....hopefully there is a Flyer Talker of the year award that I'll be in the running for
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.