Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I think social distancing seating will end on Jan 6 2021. My guess is based on lots of AS’s PR pushed regarding safety on-board when masked, and the BOGO promo currently pushed for 1/6 travel and beyond.

Jiburi
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Any recent experience with AS blocking seats in F on mainline? Are they still doing it?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Any recent experience with AS blocking seats in F on mainline? Are they still doing it?
They were as of a week ago. I assume you are referring to now, and not after Jan 6th.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
I’m about 50% for my December mid and trans con flights resulting in a stranger next to me due to “operational” reasons at the gate. When AS waits until the flight is occurring to notify me that someone may be seated next to me it doesn’t leave me much choice if I still want to take that flight. All of these flights showed seat blocking l.

I’ve been writing AL for each occurrence.

YMMV
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:55 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
They were as of a week ago. I assume you are referring to now, and not after Jan 6th.
I got upgraded overnight onto 115. They (the computer?) placed me next to an occupied seat, so I moved my self to the other side to have an empty seat next to me.

DUT
Kacee and pcoll like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, right now. Alaska's published policy is now exceptionally vague, with no mention of F, just "middle seat blocking." I had to go to Twitter to learn the policy is no more blocking seats on RJs.

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I’m about 50% for my December mid and trans con flights resulting in a stranger next to me due to “operational” reasons at the gate. When AS waits until the flight is occurring to notify me that someone may be seated next to me it doesn’t leave me much choice if I still want to take that flight. All of these flights showed seat blocking l.
Thanks, that's very useful (and confirms what I sort of suspected).
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
My buddy had two flights yesterday where they had tried to put someone in F next to him. They ultimately kicked someone else (Prolly an upgrade) back into to main to adjust seating, so clearly they are trying, but it seems like the computer is allowing it. He could also adjust his seat to sit next to someone. Could make for some real fun the next couple of weeks.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have yet to be seated next to another individual *knock on wood*
anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Maybe it's just me but I would rather sit next next to a stranger in F than be stuck in Y next to an empty middle. I would also go out on a limb and say that most FTers would have no problem if PDXPremier was their seatmate...it might even give them a chance to update the Celebrity Sightings on AS thread😎
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Maybe it's just me but I would rather sit next next to a stranger in F than be stuck in Y next to an empty middle. I would also go out on a limb and say that most FTers would have no problem if PDXPremier was their seatmate...it might even give them a chance to update the Celebrity Sightings on AS thread😎
With an affinity for all things cookie, wouldn't that celebrity sighting be a Cookie Monster? If you should be seated next to him, don't expect to enjoy your cookie! 🍪

James
AS Flyer and PDXPremier like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rune87
My buddy had two flights yesterday where they had tried to put someone in F next to him. They ultimately kicked someone else (Prolly an upgrade) back into to main to adjust seating, so clearly they are trying, but it seems like the computer is allowing it. He could also adjust his seat to sit next to someone. Could make for some real fun the next couple of weeks.
Whether AS continues blocking F seats or not, they need to provide their customers with clear expectations and stick to them. DL seems to be able to do it with their IT, so I'm not sure why AS can't.

If I bought an F ticket expecting a blocked seat and found someone sitting next to me, I'd be annoyed. However, if AS took my cleared upgrade away because they messed up the socially-distanced seating and tried to fix it after the fact, I'd be even more upset.

Side note: I've never had an upgrade taken away on any airline. That has to be one of the worst feelings imaginable going into a flight.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by metallo
Whether AS continues blocking F seats or not, they need to provide their customers with clear expectations and stick to them. DL seems to be able to do it with their IT, so I'm not sure why AS can't.

If I bought an F ticket expecting a blocked seat and found someone sitting next to me, I'd be annoyed. However, if AS took my cleared upgrade away because they messed up the socially-distanced seating and tried to fix it after the fact, I'd be even more upset.

Side note: I've never had an upgrade taken away on any airline. That has to be one of the worst feelings imaginable going into a flight.
They're not, seat blocking has already ended on their regional carriers and mainline ends on 1.6

Regarding exactions: Sadly, this has been a fail w/AS for F class pax, as evidenced by myself and at least 2 other previous reports in this thread. I've been handed 5 or 6 discount codes after elevating this within Alaska Listens, which to them is a small price to pay. Their IT has clearly been a problem and/or low priority for years, and this is just one example of it. DL is clearly more robust in this regard, and always has been.

That being said, there are many pros that outweigh the cons with AS, and I guess it comes down to exactly what matters most to each individual consumer.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:08 pm

Just got a viewing of PDX Premier 😬

Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Regarding exactions: Sadly, this has been a fail w/AS for F class pax
Yep, that's exactly what I said (nicely) in my twitter exchange with them concerning (no) seat blocking on RJs.

I'll also say that their F pricing is not competitive on the routes I've been looking at. I almost always get upgraded as a 75K, but with uncertainty about F seat blocking and/or whether I'll be able to pick a single on an E75 when my upgrade clears, I've mostly just been buying deep-discount F on UA (E75s only) and DL.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I'm not sure this has been noted here yet (pardon me if it has; efforts toward a certain 3-week virtual conference are really eating into my powers of perception), but it looks like middle seats in PC, and only in PC, are now blocked until May 31st. I noticed it first on seat maps for some flights I have between Jan. 7 and mid-March, but I previewed seats for a variety of flights over the following months, and consistently, middle PC seats are blocked until May 31st, and not blocked starting June 1st.

And I'm positive that just a few or several days ago, middle seats weren't blocked on my early 2021 flights.

Was this announced anywhere?

[Update: No seats appear to be blocked in FC.]
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.