Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Changes seem to be happening by the minute...now the flights with blocked middles after May suddenly have them unblocked again
Nope, depending on the route I guess, but SEA-PVR and SEA-LAS both have the middle seats blocked through the end of the schedule.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Well, this would explain why I received 2 calls and voicemails + email from Alaska asking me to change my itinerary to a different flight or cancel altogether and were offering a refund + discount code to do so. They wanted to decrease passenger density. I was on an E175 that had just a few seats open. Looks like they are taking the social distancing seriously for economy passengers now.

I took them up on their offer.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Saw this on the website "Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport." so I asked reservations via chat about getting my kids next to my wife and I on a future reservation and was told that wasn't possible due to seat blocking so when they say the aisle seats are blocked on the E175 and Q400 flights, it sounds like they are totally blocked regardless of whether or not they are families traveling together. On the positive side, all 4 of us each have two seats, but as passenger loads potentially increase, are they going to start selling those blocked seats or not? Booked a few flights today for November and the seat map still showed the blocked seats.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Apr 21, 2020 at 4:22 pm
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Guessing it's too soon to tell. I'd keep an eye on the seat map, and maybe set an EF alert in case the seat you want becomes bookable.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking

Ran across a BBC article today referencing AS' attempts at blocking the middle seat (And OAL's)

https://www.bbc.com./worklife/articl...t-flying-again
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Saw this on the website "Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport." so I asked reservations via chat about getting my kids next to my wife and I on a future reservation and was told that wasn't possible due to seat blocking so when they say the aisle seats are blocked on the E175 and Q400 flights, it sounds like they are totally blocked regardless of whether or not they are families traveling together. On the positive side, all 4 of us each have two seats, but as passenger loads potentially increase, are they going to start selling those blocked seats or not? Booked a few flights today for November and the seat map still showed the blocked seats.
Asked another agent via chat about this yesterday and they were able to put family members in blocked seats with no problem so maybe this is just one of those log-out and log back in to find an agent that knows how to make those changes. With all the seat blocking, I did notice one of my flights next month looking rather full so I am curious how sustainable this will be from a financial standpoint--are those blocked seats still for sale?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:38 pm

Asked another agent via chat about this yesterday and they were able to put family members in blocked seats with no problem so maybe this is just one of those log-out and log back in to find an agent that knows how to make those changes. With all the seat blocking, I did notice one of my flights next month looking rather full so I am curious how sustainable this will be from a financial standpoint--are those blocked seats still for sale?
I don't think they are...

As there are reports that AS has had to remove some pax for flights too full...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by beckoa
I don't think they are...

As there are reports that AS has had to remove some pax for flights too full...
I flew PDX SEA yesterday and the FA told me that there were not any direct flights out of PDX now, that all flights are connections out of SEA for now. I had SDC'd from the 6:00pm to the 2:00pm flight and noticed that there were 21 crew members on the awaiting seats list. All but one got assigned a seat. As people walked by my seat I noticed that there were some, but not that many seemingly revenue passengers so it felt very much like a "crew" repositioning flight. Crazy times! BTW, all passengers in FC were in window seats, with only one window not taken (3F)
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctporter
I flew PDX SEA yesterday and the FA told me that there were not any direct flights out of PDX now, that all flights are connections out of SEA for now. I had SDC'd from the 6:00pm to the 2:00pm flight and noticed that there were 21 crew members on the awaiting seats list. All but one got assigned a seat. As people walked by my seat I noticed that there were some, but not that many seemingly revenue passengers so it felt very much like a "crew" repositioning flight. Crazy times! BTW, all passengers in FC were in window seats, with only one window not taken (3F)
I think that is "mostly" true although I still see mainline AS flights on sale in May from PDX-LAX and QX nonstops to BOI.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Thanks for the report.

Must admit... bit jealous you got on an a/c
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that is "mostly" true although I still see mainline AS flights on sale in May from PDX-LAX and QX nonstops to BOI.
I have an LAX - PDX RT booked for mid May that hasn't been changed to go through SEA. They have decreased the frequency by a lot and down gauged to E175s, but they're still flying non-stop.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the report.

Must admit... bit jealous you got on an a/c
I thought I heard on the news that Alaska was one of the states with the lifted stay-at-home order and even restaurants were opening back up in Fairbanks....you could do a run (with miles?) up to BRW and back...you still might be the only one on the plane
Old May 24, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If there is an available PC window seat on a 737 with the 2 seats next to it blocked out, is there a way to know whether a couple is sitting there or if the middle seat is in fact empty?
Apologies if this has come up elsewhere.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
If there is an available PC window seat on a 737 with the 2 seats next to it blocked out, is there a way to know whether a couple is sitting there or if the middle seat is in fact empty?
It could be either, but there's no way to ascertain that on your own. Perhaps a Res Agent could tell, but I'm not even sure of that.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
On my Galaxy Phone, their seat map does not have the middle seats blocked out. Maybe try that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.