Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I'm not sure this has been noted here yet (pardon me if it has; efforts toward a certain 3-week virtual conference are really eating into my powers of perception), but it looks like middle seats in PC, and only in PC, are now blocked until May 31st. I noticed it first on seat maps for some flights I have between Jan. 7 and mid-March, but I previewed seats for a variety of flights over the following months, and consistently, middle PC seats are blocked until May 31st, and not blocked starting June 1st.

And I'm positive that just a few or several days ago, middle seats weren't blocked on my early 2021 flights.

Was this announced anywhere?
Just noticed it too while booking some Feb/Mar travel. I chalked it up to an AS IT glitch (not too hard to imagine that). I certainly haven't seen a formal announcement.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Just noticed it too while booking some Feb/Mar travel. I chalked it up to an AS IT glitch (not too hard to imagine that). I certainly haven't seen a formal announcement.
Although if there was seat blocking in PC, that could be a fairly strong selling point for upsells to PC....sit in saver/main/first if you don't care about seat blocking...upgrade to PC if you do...caters to both crowds, right?
AS Flyer and anteater like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
They're not, seat blocking has already ended on their regional carriers and mainline ends on 1.6
Would be helpful if their phone agents acknowledged this too. I have an essential trip this week (LAX-SFO and back in same day) for a work security appointment and noticed the seat map wide open on both flights on the E175. Was asking the phone agent and she informed me they are still seat blocking, but manually moving passengers who are seated next to others. She wouldn't budge when I kept trying to dig deeper (like why they are no longer X'd out, or how mainline ac still show blocked seats). I know there's noone moving passengers' seat assignments, and will monitor myself for the quick flights, but a shame they are either misinforming (if not intentionally misleading) customers.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Would be helpful if their phone agents acknowledged this too. I have an essential trip this week (LAX-SFO and back in same day) for a work security appointment and noticed the seat map wide open on both flights on the E175. Was asking the phone agent and she informed me they are still seat blocking, but manually moving passengers who are seated next to others. She wouldn't budge when I kept trying to dig deeper (like why they are no longer X'd out, or how mainline ac still show blocked seats). I know there's noone moving passengers' seat assignments, and will monitor myself for the quick flights, but a shame they are either misinforming (if not intentionally misleading) customers.
E175 flights are no longer blocking any seats, only mainline is. I'm a frequent defender of AS, but this was an atrocious PR/Customer Service move to keep this decision a secret and still promise seat blocking on the website.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
As RAD_PDX notes, there is no seat blocking by AS on E75s. Twitter confirmed this to me last week.

DL flies this route and is still blocking seats.
NoLaGent and anteater like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If AS doesn't stop some of the bull they're feeding pax and have been for a couple of months now about seats blocked for crew and generally seats being blocked, they will lose some of us. One of the reasons I have flown almost exclusively AS for about 25 years now (I was a NW fan and a Markair Mom) is because they have had great customer service. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore and I don't accept that covid is an excuse to not provide honesty. If anything covid is the reason to be very honest and transparent so people can take care of themselves and feel cared for.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
If AS doesn't stop some of the bull they're feeding pax and have been for a couple of months now about seats blocked for crew and generally seats being blocked, they will lose some of us. One of the reasons I have flown almost exclusively AS for about 25 years now (I was a NW fan and a Markair Mom) is because they have had great customer service. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore and I don't accept that covid is an excuse to not provide honesty. If anything covid is the reason to be very honest and transparent so people can take care of themselves and feel cared for.
Right. Honest communication costs nothing, and reaps rewards well past any crisis.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:54 pm

According to an AS representative on social media, premium class middle seats will in fact be blocked through May. If you’d prefer to stay in PC with an empty middle, be sure to change any existing reservations and remove the request to be upgraded to first class. I think this is a great compromise on the part of AS.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
According to an AS representative on social media, premium class middle seats will in fact be blocked through May. If you’d prefer to stay in PC with an empty middle, be sure to change any existing reservations and remove the request to be upgraded to first class. I think this is a great compromise on the part of AS.
They just took my advice from my previous post.....first the chocolate chip cookies, now this....I really hope they appreciate my pro bono consulting work
rune87, pcoll, safari ari and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 5:13 pm

Also saw this on the twitterland "However, middle seats will still be blocked in premium class through May 31st. -Jordan"
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my AS email today

Stretch your legs (and elbows) with a Premium Class upgrade. And through May 31, 2021†, we’ve blocked middle seats in Premium Class, giving you even more space.

†Extra space is not guaranteed. Certain occasions, such as aircraft changes or reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight, may require guests to be seated next to someone not in their party. If you’re uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your date of travel, please speak with a customer service agent about your options. On aircrafts that do not have middle seats, the Premium Class section will not have additional seats blocked. Guests traveling in parties of 3 are able to select Premium Class seats in the same row by contacting reservations.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:57 pm

So those of us with paid F don't get the same consideration? No empty seat beside us? That's sort of a slap in the face of some big spenders. Wow. I can buy a row of PC and put up the arms for more space less expensively than two F seats so they are just kicking themselves in the foot (being polite). Maybe a rethink of loyalty is in the near future for many of us.
ANC RED-EYE and anteater like this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
So those of us with paid F don't get the same consideration? No empty seat beside us? That's sort of a slap in the face of some big spenders. Wow. I can buy a row of PC and put up the arms for more space less expensively than two F seats so they are just kicking themselves in the foot (being polite). Maybe a rethink of loyalty is in the near future for many of us.
As someone who mostly buys I fares, I agree with you, in general. And don't even get me started on the RJ nonsense.

However, the pricing of those I fares through the end of the schedule is unlike anything I've ever seen before, so I'm not exactly incensed by this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:00 pm

I buy F and am now wondering if my custom is appreciated....seems not. Have 3 or 4 trips in the next 4 months and am going to take a look at Delta tonight....if AS want to basically tell me my spend is not important to them, then let's see if it's important to anyone else. It's not like we're getting anything at all for our F purchase...a glass of wine, maybe 2 if the FA feels like getting up from the F seat they are now using, a wrap that is barely suitable for basic economy and, maybe, if the FA feels like it, a warm cookie and/or a snack basket.....what about $10 max?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:39 pm

I buy F and am now wondering if my custom is appreciated....seems not. Have 3 or 4 trips in the next 4 months and am going to take a look at Delta tonight....if AS want to basically tell me my spend is not important to them, then let's see if it's important to anyone else. It's not like we're getting anything at all for our F purchase...a glass of wine, maybe 2 if the FA feels like getting up from the F seat they are now using, a wrap that is barely suitable for basic economy and, maybe, if the FA feels like it, a warm cookie and/or a snack basket.....what about $10 max?
If Delta F is cheaper than AS PC, go for it! You've made it very clear, over and over, that you seem to like nothing about the current operation at AS. I'm not sure why it took you until tonight to look at Delta...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.