Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:47 pm

Love the PC middle seat blocking. Just moved a bunch of my bookings from AA over to AS for next year.
Kacee, joachimm and eddiehuang97 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I happily noticed that all of my wife and my six BOGO flights have PC middle seat blocking. (Along with the 30% off flights in the summer, we were able to stimulate Alaska's economy to the full $1,200, covered by the IRS direct deposit now in the bank listed as a pending ACH for January 4, 2021.)
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It will be interesting to see what happens to upgrade success rates after 1/6....this is like the perfect scenario for me since I want a greater upgrade success in the F cabin, but if I don't clear, I want an empty middle in PC.
olouie, anteater and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It will be interesting to see what happens to upgrade success rates after 1/6....this is like the perfect scenario for me since I want a greater upgrade success in the F cabin, but if I don't clear, I want an empty middle in PC.
A 75Ks dream...
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
For short flights I’ll just take the empty middle. Might be more space vs sitting next to stranger in F.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olouie
For short flights I’ll just take the empty middle. Might be more space vs sitting next to stranger in F.
The density of people will still be greater in Premium (4 per row, rows closer together) than First (3-4 per row depending on aircraft, rows farther apart).

And short flights are often on E175s, which don't appear to have any Premium blocking.

I think I'll take 1st when offered.
PDXPremier and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by PDXpress
The density of people will still be greater in Premium (4 per row, rows closer together) than First (3-4 per row depending on aircraft, rows farther apart).

And short flights are often on E175s, which don't appear to have any Premium blocking.

I think I'll take 1st when offered.
Not so much about covid but more about lateral space for me. I don’t recline on the short flights anyways so it’s nice having a entire 18” inches on the side vs the F armrest divider. Get bulkhead on the newer plans and legroom is fantastic too.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:49 am

The only issue for me has been the premium class upgrade has been almost as expensive as the flight itself lately. Normally I would wait until my upgrade window to grab one for free but that hasn't always been available due to seat blocking. Fortunately my FC upgrade success has been pretty good.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PDXpress
In a full cabin, the density is similar, at 4 across, with more space in between passengers in the same row, but slightly less between rows.

But one of the phenomena I've noted during the pandemic (across carriers) is F booking fuller than the extra space Y cabin. This is particularly evident on carriers which are not blocking in F. I expect this is exactly what we'll see on AS flights, with actual passenger density in PC lower than F on many flights.
olouie and anteater like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I expect this is exactly what we'll see on AS flights, with actual passenger density in PC lower than F on many flights.
Only if they don't fill empty PC seats with non-revs, which they have been doing frequently in my recent experiences.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage + Alaska
I bit the bullet and paid to upgrade both of my flights (SEA->OGG->SEA) to Premium. It's worth it for the middle seat blocking and additional leg room, in my mind. A beer wouldn't be so bad either!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pusheen
I bit the bullet and paid to upgrade both of my flights (SEA->OGG->SEA) to Premium. It's worth it for the middle seat blocking and additional leg room, in my mind. A beer wouldn't be so bad either!
Has alcohol service resumed? I flew to Mexico mid December and economy only had non alcoholic beverages.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Has alcohol service resumed? I flew to Mexico mid December and economy only had non alcoholic beverages.
Beer and wine returned to F and PC several months ago. Still nothing available for Main Cabin.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Really don't understand why they can't serve "mini's" in FC. Got to be cost cutting.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by philemer
Really don't understand why they can't serve "mini's" in FC. Got to be cost cutting.
Cost cannot be an issue. I can buy mini's at any local liquor store for $1.50 for Bacardi Silver. Two or three is all I would drink on a SEA-ANC flight. Three or four cans of the red blend equals one 750 bottle and would cost more than the Bacardi. On the Broken Earth website, their cheapest bottles are $29.00. Just sayin'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.