Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SEA-SFO this evening, AS put two strangers next to each other in 2A/C. The guy in 2C boarded last, and looked very confused - kept looking down at his BP and at the guy in 2A, then around the cabin with a "this must be a mistake" look on his face. He didn't make a fuss and ultimately just took the seat.

Otherwise a great flight. Super crew. Cookies.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AS, HHonors
Flying in 1A currently, with the rest of my travel group in 3A/C. Asked FA if my girlfriend could join me in 1C to watch a movie and told “No because my jump seat is right there (behind the bulkhead), sorry but it’s company policy that 1C is left empty.”

I swear I’ve been on multiple flights with a group in 1A/C post covid restrictions... is this really the policy? I wouldn’t mind if she just said she was uncomfortable with someone sitting there...
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Sea Trips
Flying in 1A currently, with the rest of my travel group in 3A/C. Asked FA if my girlfriend could join me in 1C to watch a movie and told “No because my jump seat is right there (behind the bulkhead), sorry but it’s company policy that 1C is left empty.”

I swear I’ve been on multiple flights with a group in 1A/C post covid restrictions... is this really the policy? I wouldn’t mind if she just said she was uncomfortable with someone sitting there...
It is not policy. Write Alaska Listens!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

IME, 1C is blocked on Airbus while 1DF are blocked on Boeings, so if you were flying on an Airbus, then it would seem to be in line with how they block seats.
SEA777GUY and NoLaGent like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
IME, 1C is blocked on Airbus while 1DF are blocked on Boeings, so if you were flying on an Airbus, then it would seem to be in line with how they block seats.
This is correct, 1C is blocked on Airbus and it is policy.

Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is correct, 1C is blocked on Airbus and it is policy.

Odd! If it is policy it isn’t being enforced for the Airbus.

I’ve been able to: pick 1C at checkout and fly in it, been auto upgraded to it, been manually assigned to it as a gate upgrade.. In total, I’ve had 9 of those flights during seat blocking campaign.

Does AS have a FAQ page for these scenario dependent questions? It would be so helpful for travelers.

Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:30 pm

She did bring up that different aircraft have different rules - but this flight was on a 737 with 1D/F blocked for a FA

Oh well I ended up doing work instead of watching a movie - and in 3 weeks that empty seat next to me will be filled by an elite and all of these different rules and variations will go away... I hope...
SEA777GUY and anteater like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Odd! If it is policy it isn’t being enforced for the Airbus.

I’ve been able to: pick 1C at checkout and fly in it, been auto upgraded to it, been manually assigned to it as a gate upgrade.. In total, I’ve had 9 of those flights during seat blocking campaign.

Does AS have a FAQ page for these scenario dependent questions? It would be so helpful for travelers.

Well, as previously noted around here, you never really know what you're going to get when it comes to AS and these policies, or lack thereof. I've consistently had 1C blocked on the airbii, and was told it was policy by an FA. Maybe ASFlyer can advise?

And no, they never even published the revised RJ policy that started on 12/1. I'm looking forward to this all ending in Jan.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:52 pm

I'm looking forward to this all ending in Jan.
here here, back to a new normal I hope!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:11 pm

Well, as previously noted around here, you never really know what you're going to get when it comes to AS and these policies, or lack thereof. I've consistently had 1C blocked on the airbii, and was told it was policy by an FA. Maybe ASFlyer can advise?

And no, they never even published the revised RJ policy that started on 12/1. I'm looking forward to this all ending in Jan.
Hi, as much as I should have known this off the top of my head I wasn't completely sure, to be honest. I did some digging and yes, indeed, it is policy to block 1C on all Airbus aircraft due to proximity to the FWD jumpseat. As for this ending in Jan, I don't know for fact that blocking 1D/1F on Boeing 737-800/900 aircraft and 1C on the Airbus is going to change. I know that middle seat blocking will end, except for in Premium Class but not sure about 1C, D and F... Have not heard about this officially.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Hi, as much as I should have known this off the top of my head I wasn't completely sure, to be honest. I did some digging and yes, indeed, it is policy to block 1C on all Airbus aircraft due to proximity to the FWD jumpseat. As for this ending in Jan, I don't know for fact that blocking 1D/1F on Boeing 737-800/900 aircraft and 1C on the Airbus is going to change. I know that middle seat blocking will end, except for in Premium Class but not sure about 1C, D and F... Have not heard about this officially.
Thanks for the info.!

And yes, the row 1 FA blocking looks like it goes through end of schedule, at least for now. The ending I'm looking forward to is the passenger policy for mainline that ends after January 6th.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
AS seat blocking is like a box of chocolates[1]. You never know what you're gonna get.

I checked the seat map on the web site after I saw your comment here. In my reservation and search results, it shows my seat occupied, as well as two other seats grayed out in PC in one direction. Everything else X'd out. In the app, still just shows me in my seats and everything else in PC X'd out both directions. Just an IT oddity, I suppose.
---
[1] Or cookies to be served in FC.
At last, seat maps both in the app and on the web site are showing available seats in PC instead of just X'ing out everything. Happily moved myself to row 7 both directions. Still, I can't help wondering why it wasn't this way all along.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:30 pm

Noticed this on the Alaska home page today:

Seems to be backed up by the seat map of flights after 1/6/2021:

I guess middle seat blocking is living on (in premium class lol).
NoLaGent, anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is actually pretty brilliant on AS's part. Those who care most about an empty middle can choose PC, and decline upgrades to F. Those who don't mind having a seatmate in F can list for the upgrade, and AS can book the F cabin full. I guess the lingering question is whether AS's IT will be able to make good on Marketing's promise, or whether we'll have regular reports of PC filling three across.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Noticed this on the Alaska home page today:

Seems to be backed up by the seat map of flights after 1/6/2021:

AS elites need to keep in mind this policy since non-elites are more likely to purchase premium class upgrades now...and I typically use the premium class seat map as a very rough estimate of my upgrade chances...especially since 75Ks can book these seats with virtually any fare at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.