Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just changed flight last night. I have 2F. This morning, someone has selected 2D.
Cannot believe someone would choose that over 6 other choices. Other aisle seats available with no window seat taken. Very strange. I guess I will move my seat.
( Like when you go to matinee movie and 6 people are in theatre and someone sits right next to you)
i have had the same experience!!! I didn’t move my seat. I spoke to agent upon entering airport and they noted the suboptimal seating opportunity. Upon arrival to gate I noticed seat map had changed
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Xrayman
i have had the same experience!!! I didn’t move my seat. I spoke to agent upon entering airport and they noted the suboptimal seating opportunity. Upon arrival to gate I noticed seat map had changed
So the other person was moved? I hope they can see who was in the seat choice first so the later person moves. I wouldn’t want to change my seat if I had chosen it first.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Bellerina
So the other person was moved? I hope they can see who was in the seat choice first so the later person moves. I wouldn’t want to change my seat if I had chosen it first.
The check in agent stated that they had some visibility on ticket class and when upgrades occurred. I infer they could then translate seating choice. It wasn’t like the other 3 empty rows was a tremendously difficult to appreciate.

Furthermore I’ve had gate agents make in the fly seat adjustments as well.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Flew GEG-SEA on a Q400 today and the gate agent made the announcement that there were too many passengers on the flight to guarantee that everyone would have an empty seat next to them and to let them know if they didn't feel comfortable sitting next to a stranger...I'm wondering if they are still not selling those seats or just blocking them until they are needed at the last minute....I can't see them not selling them for much longer if that is indeed the case.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xrayman
I've had this happen a couple times - it sort of looks like the computer isn't very smart when it auto upgrades and will stick you next to another person and then when you get to the gate the agents look at the map and move people around to spread them out. There may be no human in the loop when assigning someone next to you, just a not very bright computer.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
... no human in the loop ... just a not very bright computer.
the graphic is probably 35 years old

“Artificial Intelligence is no substitute for the real thing” is probably a better caption though
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Flew GEG-SEA on a Q400 today and the gate agent made the announcement that there were too many passengers on the flight to guarantee that everyone would have an empty seat next to them and to let them know if they didn't feel comfortable sitting next to a stranger...I'm wondering if they are still not selling those seats or just blocking them until they are needed at the last minute....I can't see them not selling them for much longer if that is indeed the case.
So what happens if they don’t want someone next to them and AS can’t accommodate? Do they get moved to another flight (assuming in another day) or refund or what?

In the end I assume most people will just take the flight, but a bit disappointing to hear from AS.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've had this happen a couple times - it sort of looks like the computer isn't very smart when it auto upgrades and will stick you next to another person and then when you get to the gate the agents look at the map and move people around to spread them out. There may be no human in the loop when assigning someone next to you, just a not very bright computer.
Are auto upgrade even happening right now or is everything being done at the gate now? It seems like when they do the schedule modifications like they have been doing (month by month), that U space almost disappears for the following month....I found some random U space in July for short flights like PDX-GEG, but in-general, it was gone.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Are auto upgrade even happening right now or is everything being done at the gate now?
I was upgraded 3 days out on a PDX-SEA leg about a week ago.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are auto upgrade even happening right now or is everything being done at the gate now? It seems like when they do the schedule modifications like they have been doing (month by month), that U space almost disappears for the following month....I found some random U space in July for short flights like PDX-GEG, but in-general, it was gone.
I've had three trips since early March. In the first two trips I got auto-upgraded a couple days out (at or near the first opportunity) on every segment. On this last trip I got upgraded couple hours out (presumably by the agent) then seat reassigned at the gate on the outbound, and the same on the return. But for the return I had rebooked it the day before to have my return flight be daytime to avoid having to try to get home from LAX during the curfew (without Uber and Lyft running), so I the chance of an auto-upgrade was smaller there anyway.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My last mainline AS flight PHX-SEA on April 3rd, 75K with an MVPG companion, was a W award. It was booked within the 75K window. After completing the purchase, we were immediately upgraded and received an upgrade email before the reservation confirmation arrived. The flight departed with 9/16 in F. We sat together and the other 7 had half an F row to themselves.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AS
in my situation, our flight dropped off schedule and new flights substituted.
I was online when the schedule reduction was happening. Called in and was able to get New flight and seat. No other seats were selected yet for that flight. next morning seat next to me had been assigned. Could very well have been a computer assigning passenger same seat previously chosen. Easier for me to change my seat rather than wait until next month, at gate.
F is now n/a for this flight. Upgrades at gate would be possible as 5 of 12 seats are taken.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:42 pm

Seat blocking extended to end of July. So, unless family wants to be seated together, middle seat blocking will continue through next month. First at 50%.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll
First at 50%.
This language has disappeared. As discussed in another thread, the policy now reads "middle seats are blocked and flights will be capped at 65% capacity to allow for extra space between guests not traveling together".
Bellerina likes this.

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Jun 10, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:12 pm

You are correct. The previous language seems to have been deleted with the new promotion touting Next Level Care program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.