Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Wait I just looked it up, it's an E75. Does social distance seat blocking apply to 2x2 configs in coach as well?
Normally on the E75s they're blocking the aisle seats and only seating people in windows.

I've been on 7 flights on AS since the shutdowns started in March and haven't ever been seated next to another person. I've been upgraded to F on all 7 (as MVPG) and when it looked briefly like I was being seated next to someone else, it got fixed at the gate without me having to request it. I've been on both E75s and 737s. The last flight on a 739 had a lot of people paired in first, but they all seemed to be people on the same PNR - I was upgraded to a seat with nobody next to me, and all the people I saw with occupied adjacents seemed to board together and act familiar. On one previous flight they filled F on an E75 to 2/3+1, where they seemed to stick the +1 next to someone not on the same PNR, so they do make exceptions.

Last edited by chrisl137; Jun 21, 2020 at 12:06 am Reason: typo - replace "middle" with "window"
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS
Looked like our flight was going to be OK with seat blocking as they closed F at 50% . Before going to bed, checked again. Our 2:00pm flight gone. Third cancellation since June 1.
I thought last week would be the last of the cancellations but, NO!!
We are on separate PNR's (discount code use) and now they have put us on different flights for later that night. (Our flights were linked to each other)
Called and current hold time for MVP members is 3 hours and 40 minutes!!! UNBELIEVABLE !! So pissed.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pcoll
Looked like our flight was going to be OK with seat blocking as they closed F at 50% . Before going to bed, checked again. Our 2:00pm flight gone. Third cancellation since June 1.
We are on separate PNR's (discount code use) and now they have put us on different flights for later that night. (Our flights were linked to each other)
Called and current hold time for MVP members is 3 hours and 40 minutes!!! UNBELIEVABLE !! So pissed.
I really want AS to be my airline of choice for west coast flights, but they are making it very difficult right now.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I’ve just gone into the app and have ANOTHER schedule change to my July 4th weekend flights. I’ve already had to change this reservation once because of a schedule change a few weeks ago. And they haven’t automatically re-booked me but instead I have to call to get something which probably means there are no decent choices.
MVPG wait time is 1hr39m to 2hr30m.
If they’re changing a lot of flights I assume wait times won’t get any better.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:32 pm

absolutely agree with Kacee. really reconsidering loyalty to AS. Waiting to see if we can even get seats on flight with reasonable departure time (Not 8:30 at night)
NS flights have gone from 11 to 8 to 5 . The idea of packed planes right now is very concerning.
Bellerina likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; Jun 20, 2020 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I just got this note from them about my upcoming return flight:

Due to schedule and/or aircraft changes, there’s a possibility you could be seated next to someone who isn’t traveling with you on your upcoming flight. If this is of concern, please contact our reservations team (1.800.252.7522) before your day of travel to discuss options. We apologize for any inconvenience.
This is my 8th flight since all this started, and first time I've gotten a note like this.

I took a look at the seat map, and unless there's a cancellation and they merge another flight it seems unlikely, but possible. It's also unlikely that I'll be in the exit row seat I'm currently assigned - I've been running 100% on upgrades this year and would take an F seat next to another person - since it's about the same proximity as vacant middle in the back.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
And I just got this note from them about my upcoming return flight:

This is my 8th flight since all this started, and first time I've gotten a note like this.

I took a look at the seat map, and unless there's a cancellation and they merge another flight it seems unlikely, but possible. It's also unlikely that I'll be in the exit row seat I'm currently assigned - I've been running 100% on upgrades this year and would take an F seat next to another person - since it's about the same proximity as vacant middle in the back.
I would assume the person in F that you would be seated next to would care. Have you been upgraded to F next to strangers much?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:20 am

Wondering what AS policy for cancelled flight is. They are offering me flight 5 hours later than what was booked. I asked if I could take flight 2 days later and they declined. If your flight is cancelled, you can only change to flight that day or 1 day later. In my case, next day, only late night flight still has F available. However, 2 days later, flight times are reasonable. Got someone to reply via text after 1.5 hours. Chat ended before I could reply with decision regarding flight.
11:42pm UPDATE: Still waiting for auto call back on MVP line. Called again to check on wait time, "additional wait time for call back is 4 hours, if you cancel this call you will lose your place in line". going to bed.

Last edited by pcoll; Jun 21, 2020 at 10:22 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
My 5:35 PM return BOS to SEA flight on July 25 has been cancelled. They're offering 9 AM that same day as a replacement, which doesn't quite work because of plans later in the day. I'll call tomorrow and probably ask if they can move the return to the 26th, even though that'd add costs of one more night's lodging and one more day's car rental. :\

Or maybe I'll cancel the whole itinerary and we'll do that road trip to Montana instead.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I’ve just gone into the app and have ANOTHER schedule change to my July 4th weekend flights. I’ve already had to change this reservation once because of a schedule change a few weeks ago. And they haven’t automatically re-booked me but instead I have to call to get something which probably means there are no decent choices.
MVPG wait time is 1hr39m to 2hr30m.
If they’re changing a lot of flights I assume wait times won’t get any better.
AS is somewhat predictable in the sense that if it's a Saturday evening, there is a possibility of a schedule change and during these unusual times, it's not just once a month or so. These are rolling schedule changes affecting flights around 1-1.5 months in-advance so if you have an August trip in the books, it will likely start being changed (multiple times) in the next week or so. I booked PDX-MCO for August which is a non-stop, but I knew when I booked that flight that it will likely be cancelled and I'll end up going through SEA (more EQMs and I don't have to pay the extra airport fee!)--this is not a normal summer--we are in uncharted territory--EXPECT these changes. If you're flying this summer, it is assumed that your schedule is flexible enough to allow for sometimes multi-hour variations in departure/arrival time. For schedule changes that are just now taking place tonight, my typical plan is to let the dust settle and deal with it on Monday--you may even have more flight options once the updated schedule has a chance to "settle". I think trying to call while the schedule changes are happening is just not a good idea in my opinion. Honestly, I sometimes can end up with a better schedule (that I don't have to pay for) due to schedule changes so it's not always a bad thing And just because you have to call, doesn't mean you haven't already been re-booked--in fact, you probably have been rebooked. One last thing...with schedule changes happening so often, I've found it easier to just use the online chat feature rather than call.
chrisl137 and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jun 21, 2020 at 1:03 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bellerina
I would assume the person in F that you would be seated next to would care. Have you been upgraded to F next to strangers much?
Whenever it's looked like it had happened, they had already reseated me without a neighbor before I got to the gate.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
One last thing...with schedule changes happening so often, I've found it easier to just use the online chat feature rather than call.
But the AS phone reps are so friendly! My now-weekly chats with them are a highlight of my day these days, and that's only sort of a joke.
PDXPremier, Kacee and Bellerina like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by pcoll

I’ve had multiple schedule changes for the last month and have very successfully used chat and text for every single change or cancellation. Status doesn’t seem to matter but I am Gold ... in case there’s some trigger on the other end of the chat.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:02 am

Wait time this morning was 11 to 18 minutes. But I got though to an agent faster than that. This was on the priority line (I’m mvpg).

When changing my seats the agent only offered me the row that was empty in F. hopefully they’ll stop selling F as it now appears there are no empty rows so you’d have to sit next to a stranger.

I also noticed that a flight I have in early September has no more available rows in F (so only seat available would be next to a stranger) and it is no longer showing F as an option for purchase. Hoping that’s a good sign they are still restricting some sales in F through early September at least.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Flight 3309 6/21

Made our first post-COVID flight today for an emergent family issue

FA’s have walked by three times without a word. And no, food and drink are not involved.
. GA states as boarding starts, “this is the fullest flight we’ve had since we started social distancing”. First is completely full. Many seats in coach are full, with strangers next to each other. GA states as she’s checking people on - “I can’t enforce you to wear your mask, and I’m pretty over this COVID thing anyway”. She takes her mask off as the last person boards and stands at the door talking trash to the FA’s about the COVID restrictions. The couple behind me overhear this conversation and take off their mask before we even leave the gate. FA’s watch and say nothing.

I don’t mind getting COVID, but there are people I’m in contact with who will mind. And before you say I shouldn’t be traveling, I think traveling with the current restrictions is fairly safe for a healthy person if EVERYONE follows the rules. AS I hope you’re listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.