Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Flying on a Q400 today and see that someone cleared into 1A which I thought was blocked as well as 1B but I guess not anymore. Those are two of my favorite seats on that plane
1B for me! 😃 I wonder if it was a non-rev. Seats 1A & 1B face the FA when seated in the jumpseat. 1A would give slightly more protection with the half width bulkhead at the entry door. 1B has full exposure to the FA.

James
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: Yes
I have been in 1A on the E175 for the same flights and sometimes I’ll get 1A or I’ll get bumped at the gate and 1A/1C are empty. In either case, FA sat alone in 1D.

I wish they would make something policy and stick with it. If I can’t pay for 1A I’d rather sit in PE.

Last edited by anteater; Jun 13, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Booked in F SFO-LAX tomorrow evening, cabin is now booked to 9/12. So much for the marketing.
Here is AS's response to my complaint about the overbooked F cabin:
Thank you for contacting Alaska.

I am sorry to hear that you canceled your flight and flew with another carrier due to the fact that we oversold the first class cabin. We have committed to increasing many of these commuter flights beginning next week for just this reason as we realize we have not been able to maintain our promises even with these small occupancy increases. I have passed along your feedback to our corporate team so that we can do a better job maintaining social distancing as promised on our website. I very much apologize for having let you down and not keeping our word.

[Kacee] we thank you for your loyalty as an MVP Gold 75K and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

All I can is wow. The honesty is truly refreshing. This is great customer service. Now if they can just get the schedule stabilized . . . .
pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Flight 6/12 and 6/14 sea-sjc oak-sea
F was 6/12 full on E175. I had an email about a travel advisory that they might not be able to socially distance on one of my flights, but I had no issues. Even Economy looked free for everyone to socially distance where necessary.
It again looked like 1C was occupied but it was empty. FA sat in normal seats.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Bellerina
F was 6/12 full on E175. I had an email about a travel advisory that they might not be able to socially distance on one of my flights, but I had no issues. Even Economy looked free for everyone to socially distance where necessary.

getting on a mid con flight now on an E75. Was
placed in 3C next to 3D occupied. I suspect automated seating choice. I changed to the single 3A.

under normal times 2C and 3C are my typical first choices on a Boeing.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I got the same email for a flight tomorrow....I think AS is going to barely squeak by with the seat blocking through July. I think this is not only unsustainable, but also a major operational headache for AS.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got the same email for a flight tomorrow....I think AS is going to barely squeak by with the seat blocking through July. I think this is not only unsustainable, but also a major operational headache for AS.
Presumably they have just tweaked their normal booking algorithm, but demand is different from anything they've ever seen before, and the algorithm is not predicting accurately. They're not doing very well with their scheduling either. Understand these are challenging times for the airline, but it's a real hassle from the perspective of the passenger who's trying to make plans.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
FA yesterday said they reduced their flights so much and put so many FAs on leave that they now have not enough seats on many commuter flights and not enough FAs to add more. So they're either going to quickly reduce the social distancing available on the flights or start adding more flights. I suspect it might be a bit of both. However, given the rise in cases, I do hope they can still do the social distancing on most flights.

Funny thing, when I got that travel advisory notice, I was booked into 2A on the E175, so there was no possible way there could have been someone next to me. When I spoke to the customer service agent, she couldn't see any conflict for me either. It was very strange. I assumed they just sent it to everyone on the flight regardless of class.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would LOVE to be sure that the seat next to me will be blocked for my SEA TUC flight on Thursday. When I booked all the PE and FC seats were taken, I was left with rows 10-13, 18, and 20 to choose from. I have not sat that far back in years on an AS flight. I suspect that it is due to seat blocking that my choices were so limited. Hopefully, I will be able to sit semi sideways to have enough leg room.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I noticed this am that WN has extended middle seat blocking through Sept. 30th, I'll be curious to see if AS matches this policy extension.
pcoll and Bellerina like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I noticed this am that WN has extended middle seat blocking through Sept. 30th, I'll be curious to see if AS matches this policy extension.
My guess is that AS won't WANT to do this since they're obviously having operational issues right now with keeping the middle seats empty, but they will feel forced to if the competition extends the empty middle seat policy. It feels like we're getting to the point where they could almost run a few flights a day between PDX-SEA for employees only....lol.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm probably not going to fly it, but I have SEA-LAX on an E75 on 8 July; only the B seats in coach show as blocked (all aisles were blocked when I booked a couple months ago) ... return 739 has all middles blocked as expected
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My guess is that AS won't WANT to do this since they're obviously having operational issues right now with keeping the middle seats empty, but they will feel forced to if the competition extends the empty middle seat policy. It feels like we're getting to the point where they could almost run a few flights a day between PDX-SEA for employees only....lol.
Southwest isn't physically putting anything in the middle seats to keep people from using them, right? I thought they were just underselling the flights and taking advantage of their boarding/seating policy to let people sort it out themselves as they board.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
E175s are blocked to 8 out of 12 seats. 4 seats on the single side, and 4 doubles on the other, so 8 makes sense.
I’m currently in an E175. There are 8 in first. But row 1 is completely empty and 2D. I asked the agent if they will fill 1A and 1D. She no we can only put 8 people in first. So even though couples are flying together and seated together They will not fill those other seats.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Southwest isn't physically putting anything in the middle seats to keep people from using them, right? I thought they were just underselling the flights and taking advantage of their boarding/seating policy to let people sort it out themselves as they board.
The policy is designed to ensure that you can sit in a window or aisle with an empty middle. It's resulted in my return to flying WN after several years of studiously avoiding them.
NoLaGent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.