Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
in my situation, our flight dropped off schedule and new flights substituted.
My last two trips this happened multiple times. For the earlier one it then set the "must talk to an agent" flag to even be able to look at it to pick seats. The later one it didn't set the flag, so I was able to check and move seats without calling, but it was an old ticket that was nearing its 1-year expiration date and I ended up getting it extended by a month past one year. They were very nice about it, and then nice about it again when I had to change it yet again so I would arrive back in LA during non-curfew hours.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Booked in F SFO-LAX tomorrow evening, cabin is now booked to 9/12. So much for the marketing.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Booked in F SFO-LAX tomorrow evening, cabin is now booked to 9/12. So much for the marketing.

As it has been discussed, there is currently no mention or promise of limiting F capacity.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
As it has been discussed, there is currently no mention or promise of limiting F capacity.
When I bought this ticket, the clear import of AS's marketing was that F would only be booked to 50%. That's why I bought AS, but that's obviously not the actual policy (and in fact they've now removed that text from their marketing).

I'll be cancelling AS and flying a very lightly booked WN flight tomorrow instead.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
E175s are blocked to 8 out of 12 seats. 4 seats on the single side, and 4 doubles on the other, so 8 makes sense.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
When I flew both 5/20 & 5/30 (SEA-SJC-SEA), many of the seats showed as occupied were actually not occupied but blocked. In both cases, we had 50% or less in first. It will be interesting to see what Kacee's experience is. Please report back.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Klrduks
When I flew both 5/20 & 5/30 (SEA-SJC-SEA), many of the seats showed as occupied were actually not occupied but blocked.
That's certainly a possibility. However, the seats show as occupied rather than blocked on EF, which is usually accurate at displaying the difference. Also, the pattern suggest the seats showing as occupied are in fact occupied, as the three "open" seats included the one next to me; presumably that would show have shown as blocked if AS was actually using blocking to enforce social distancing.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 12, 2020 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
My experience with EF and Alaska is the difference changed a year ago or so, both for Horizon and Alaska flights. I may be wrong but I think that EF only shows occupied for AS flights.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Just checked into my flight. I’m in 1D on an E175 and 1C was showing as unavailable on the seat map.

I check with the agent while checking in and she said nobody was in that seat. She said they’ve been trying to block them. I wonder if they’ve started trying to block some F seats to help with social distancing but that it looks like the seat is occupied. Really hard to tell.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I've just booked a total of 16 flights, all 737, all in F and Aug to Jan time frame....not a single one had 1D or F open but no other seats taken in the F cabin. I took 1A on all but am hoping they will open 1F or let me change at check in or something....very strange.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
I've just booked a total of 16 flights, all 737, all in F and Aug to Jan time frame....not a single one had 1D or F open but no other seats taken in the F cabin. I took 1A on all but am hoping they will open 1F or let me change at check in or something....very strange.
One of the flight attendants sits in 1F.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
One of the flight attendants sits in 1F.
FA using 1D has also been reported. Access to aisle seems logical.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
FA using 1D has also been reported. Access to aisle seems logical.
I’m not sure which is technically assigned but I’ve seen them use both. They don’t have a passenger sitting next to them either way, and the window helps with distancing.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Flying on a Q400 today and see that someone cleared into 1A which I thought was blocked as well as 1B but I guess not anymore. Those are two of my favorite seats on that plane
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Thanks and that makes sense....not a big problem but interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.