Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:00 pm

Elimination of hot towels is due to the risk of collecting and cleaning, not distributing. This is consistent with Asian airlines.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Aren't the hot towels simply discarded?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Hot towels offered on Friday but not on Sunday. Single-use plastic cups both ways (including for the same drink).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Aren't the hot towels simply discarded?
I thought this too, but last year got a few mildew smelling towels, so I figure they get “cleaned” and reused.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
SEA>IND yesterday (2/29), water poured from bottles into cups when water was requested during H20 service. IND>SEA today, FA carried a tray (no, a drawer) of already poured cups of water to hand out. No idea if that's related, or just an extremely efficiency-focused FA.

However, as to this in the blog post, "We’re enhancing aircraft cleaning between flights and will continue to evaluate our cleaning procedures. This is in addition to the regular cleanings between flights." Um, no. Don't make me laugh. Tonight I wiped down one of the most visibly filthy tray tables I have encountered in my 36 years of flying. I hope that was just dried spilled coffee I was wiping from the surfaces and nooks and crannies.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
1) suspension of hot towels service
2) glassware can't be reused
3) no more water bottle refill
Just free cost-cutting in the name of the Coronavirus.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If the towels are lukewarm and not sufficiently hot (>140 F), they can be a breeding ground.
Lukewarm would've been an improvement on AS1063 JFK-SEA on Saturday, mine felt like it was pulled out of a fridge.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Would have thought F blanket would be the first to go. Oh wait, maybe next.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:24 pm

Laughable. Leave it to the woke idiots at Alaska to grossly overreact and then try and save $ at the same time. Hand sanitizer passed out instead of water? Who comes up with this comical crap? Reminds me of the swine flu and AS using it to remove pillows and blankets claiming they could kill you. Keep the comedy coming Alaska.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f
Laughable. Leave it to the woke idiots at Alaska to grossly overreact and then try and save $ at the same time. Hand sanitizer passed out instead of water? Who comes up with this comical crap? Reminds me of the swine flu and AS using it to remove pillows and blankets claiming they could kill you. Keep the comedy coming Alaska.
Other airlines are doing the same.

Forward bookings in many markets are falling off a cliff.

Conferences, conventions and large gatherings are being cancelled.

Seems a stretch to call this a comedy.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
Other airlines are doing the same.

Forward bookings in many markets are falling off a cliff.

Conferences, conventions and large gatherings are being cancelled.

Seems a stretch to call this a comedy.
Seriously. These are rational moves fully consistent with current industry best practices.

I was pleased on a recent CX flight to see hot towels replaced with sanitary wipes, and disappointed several days later to see JL had not yet made that switch. It's just good sense in the current environment.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Unclear what is the rationale for suspending warm towel service. The flight attendants use tongs to distribute them, so where exactly is the risk? You would think encouraging people to clean off their hands before eating would be beneficial. I’ve also seen people use them to whipe off the tray table if it’s dirty.
I am not sure either. I suspect the reason is some reduction in the risk of cross contamination if towel service isn't done right.

I don't know how they are handled before they get to me and I have trusted I am getting a clean hot cloth.

Passengers may or may not use them in a way that prevents getting their germs spread on the tables and armrests.

Then collecting used towels has to be done in a way that doesn't make other things less hygienic. Unfortunately, tongs aren't always used. Granted, I saw it just once when a FA collected used towels in her bare hands. Anything she handed to me afterward was from the communal germ pool.

And yes, the easy solution is to take away instead of add preventative measures. I do like the sanitizer offer. And I am in favor of a) cough masks for anyone that coughs. b) clorox wipes being available for passengers to use on their tables, seatbelt buckles, etc. and c) cask strength single malt scotch for sanitizing.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by n7371f
Hardly. And I'm not in the overly paranoid camp. When AS started the Y water service (and I've never had the pleasure), seeing people grab their own cups off the stack and the FA pouring water into the cup was, IM(nsh)O, not a great way to serve water. Because we all know you only touch the cup at the end, and never the rim of any other cup. Because we all know that you don't breathe when being served.

No reason that pillows and blankets can't be a sanitary thing. That is, until they aren't handled properly, which can happen at many points along the supply and delivery chain.

I've been carrying hospital-type wipes in my bag for about a year or so. I did prior to this, and I will after this. I've used paper towels to touch bathroom surfaces for years. I will continue to do so. I use blankets and pillows and hot towels. I will continue to do so, when available.

And lest we forget, what may not affect an individual passenger may have a different effect on the crew.

There's a big difference between a healthy dose of paranoia and insanity (on either side of the argument).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: Gold 75K
Monday 3/2 PVR to SFO--hot towels provided in F; Glasses reused; No mention of any changes in service
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sjbsf
Monday 3/2 PVR to SFO--hot towels provided in F; Glasses reused; No mention of any changes in service
This is because everyone down there has herd immunity from all the Corona beer they've been drinking.
JacksonFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.