Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:35 am

Seem like SQ have zeroed out inventory to China till 16th feb n only highest booking class available from 17th feb till end March.

They should be cancelling all China flights very soon. Wonder how many have redeem the “initial low mile” rate ticket from China?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Talking

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Wonder how many have redeem the “initial low mile” rate ticket from China?
Guilty
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:09 pm

Anyone else has got their AS "special SQ mileage deal" impacted by the virus? Cause I do, and it is giving me a headache.
I have PVG-SIN-LHR-SIN, and there is a waiver going on so I want to postpone my flight. (Due to policies, it is literally impossible to fly SQ PVG-SIN right now actually.) SQ said they have no control of the tix, so even with a waiver they cannot change the flights, and AS said they cannot do any changes to this reservation since they have no waiver, and they would happily refund me(lol no thanks). So I am being given the run-around. Any idea would be appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have you looked over this thread from two weeks ago?
Alaska disappointing handling over an award ticket regarding viral outbreak in china
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by beyounged
Anyone else has got their AS "special SQ mileage deal" impacted by the virus? Cause I do, and it is giving me a headache.
I have PVG-SIN-LHR-SIN, and there is a waiver going on so I want to postpone my flight. (Due to policies, it is literally impossible to fly SQ PVG-SIN right now actually.) SQ said they have no control of the tix, so even with a waiver they cannot change the flights, and AS said they cannot do any changes to this reservation since they have no waiver, and they would happily refund me(lol no thanks). So I am being given the run-around. Any idea would be appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Shocking, they’re not doing favors for people who booked mistake awards that have illogical routings and that were clearly being exploited. Maybe you can complain and get compensation for how cruelty they are treating you.

In all seriousness, take the refund. AS has zero obligation to give you a second bite at the apple just because a deadly disease showed up. You got lucky when you booked it, you lost out now. There’s zero reason for them to do you a favor.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
PS: I bet they would happily let you rebook it as PVG-SIN for a later date. Which is what you paid miles for.

That IS what you want, not a cheap trip to London and a throwaway segment, right?
milypan, jinglish and sbs2716g like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:34 pm

I think AS is willing to change provided the extra miles are paid.
PVG-LHR 110000 miles in J.
LHR-SIN 110000 miles in J

or alternative AS can just change the routing to PVG-SIN.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, your error fare award might have just flown. I can't see AS repeating the error to accommodate you. I would give props to AS for not just blanket canceling them from the onset. The only thing most people got out of it was a termination of stopovers on intra-Asia awards. Remember, AS issued the ticket. A refund is better than a no-show. Just my thoughts. I have had to make significant last minute changes to my February itineraries at a real cost. We canceled an SFO-HKG-AKL CX J for an LAX-BNE-SYD-AKL PE to avoid Asia. It was a good choice as Holland America is denying boarding to anyone who has transited HKG since Feb 1 and we are on a 12-day AKL-SYD cruise in a suite.

Sorry your award error fare isn't working out for you but not nearly as sorry as I am for those that have legitimate bookings and are/were affected, denied boarding, quarentined or contracted. It is hard to make alternate plans when the target is changing daily.

James
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
PS: I bet they would happily let you rebook it as PVG-SIN for a later date. Which is what you paid miles for.

That IS what you want, not a cheap trip to London and a throwaway segment, right?
But that is just the thing, I think I am actually one of the few who wants to use the whole ticket. I got in way too late and found the last F seat LHR-SIN, and because I just wanted to try it so badly, I took it with PVG-SIN in J and SIN-LHR in Y just so that I got a chance to fly right back in F. So no, I would not come to complain if I intended to fully exploit the system like most people who booked it did. (I had to take it as Y on my outbound because of those folks.) It is ultimately not too much of a loss, but it is just I have a night at LON already booked and a few flights from SIN booked, and that would pile onto my cost. Bottom line still is my ticket has as much of a re-scheduling right as any other ticket for SQ under the waiver, and I am just a noobie who wants to try some nice F with an opportunity presented. The intention is not foul play like those who choose to throw away inbounds.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Bottom line still is my ticket has as much of a re-scheduling right as any other ticket for SQ under the waiver
Since your ticket was issued by AS, an SQ travel waiver does not apply.

I’m sure AS will be happy to rebook you at any available partner award at the prevailing rate, or refund your miles without a change fee.

However, they are not going to rebook your itinerary at the price you paid. Whether or not you intended to fly the entire itinerary doesn’t change the fact that you booked an error fare. Booking an error fare carries risk, one of which is the inability to make changes at the price paid.

You’ll need to take some sort of loss, move on, and be glad you escaped exposure to the coronavirus.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Since your ticket was issued by AS, an SQ travel waiver does not apply.

I’m sure AS will be happy to rebook you at any available partner award at the prevailing rate, or refund your miles without a change fee.

However, they are not going to rebook your itinerary at the price you paid. Whether or not you intended to fly the entire itinerary doesn’t change the fact that you booked an error fare. Booking an error fare carries risk, one of which is the inability to make changes at the price paid.

You’ll need to take some sort of loss, move on, and be glad you escaped exposure to the coronavirus.
I am gonna take the loss, as there are so many people (like a lot of my family) who have, and will, lose much more than an F ticket. The sad thing is that even if I booked a 240k F ticket one way to LHR when it just became available, I would still be out of an F ticket. AS no longer has any F tix on SQ anymore, and SQ waiver does not apply. Because of the sunk costs of my flights and hotels, I actually asked the phone agent if there is any SQ Y tix available as it would be the best course of action, and the only thing for me was two one way AY flights.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
I understand award redemptions on SQ only began in October, but have others experienced phantom inventory?
Yesterday, I saw 2 J awards on an SQ Routing. After booking the first one, the second still showed. After entering in all the pax and credit card info for the second one, I got the error message they couldn’t confirm the space. Tried several times, including hours later, and the next morning. It’s still showing as available, just won’t confirm.

Anybody else have luck booking 2 J awards US to Asia or vice versa, or does SQ only release one J award to AS?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
I understand award redemptions on SQ only began in October, but have others experienced phantom inventory?
Yesterday, I saw 2 J awards on an SQ Routing. After booking the first one, the second still showed. After entering in all the pax and credit card info for the second one, I got the error message they couldn’t confirm the space. Tried several times, including hours later, and the next morning. It’s still showing as available, just won’t confirm.

Anybody else have luck booking 2 J awards US to Asia or vice versa, or does SQ only release one J award to AS?
Why didn't you just add both available spaces to the same cart, rather than doing one at a time? This happens time to time, even on other partners where there is one space and you immediately try to book the same ticket, which still shows availability, and right when you go to purchase it gives an error, even though the seat shows available for about 2-3 minutes until the systems sync.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I think we all are going through interesting times, but I’d like to share my recent experience to hopefully change the subject.

- Booked the trip mid-2019 from SEA to PER to attend the 2020 Australian Grand Prix. Chose PER as an entry destination as I haven’t been before and I was able to find a connecting QF 330 J award to MEL
- Initially booked CX F through HKG, by way of LAX, but the SQ partnership and a ride on the a350 ULR interested me more than another ride in CX F. So I changed my flight
- Early March departure date comes and I made the call to continue with my trip
- The Alaska check in agent wasn’t able to check me into the SQ segments of my itin. Not sure if this is because of new requirements (e.g. travel to Iran, S Korea, etc) or if the infrastructure isn’t there. So, I snagged a connecting flight that allowed me to check in with the gate agents for the LAX - NRT flight in TBIT - about 1pm
- The plan worked and I spent most of the time after in the mostly empty Polaris lounge. Which is awesome if you haven’t been. Spent an hour or so on the Star Alliance lounge porch also to get some fresh air before 17 hrs in a carbon fiber tube
- SQ37 in J was great. Crew, seat, food - everything. Being over 6 feet, I thought the compact J seat might be a problem, but it was the opposite, and I found it to be extremely comfortable
- A PAX behind me coughed the entirety of the flight and I have to hope the a350s HEPA filters did their job
- Transfer in SIN included a walk past thermal cameras. A quick transfer to T3 through the Jewel was great. The Silver Kris lounge was pretty meh, especially the showers
- Next ride was the regional a350. Even though my bird was only a year old, she was already showing wear and tear. Seat was okay and hate how the cheaper J products don’t account for the flying angle of the aircraft
- Aussie customs was faster than anything I’ve experienced in the US, even with global. But, there was a secondary screening tent set up
- While a first time visitor, Perth seems fairly normal, but I’m sure there is some anxiety

The AS partnership with SQ is great and I think worth the high redemption rates. I think most of us enjoy travel for the thrill of new experiences and this is a new one for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.