Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by freed0m
JL intra-Asia trick gone, too. It still worked yesterday despite SQ no longer works.

Seems AS put in a permant fix for all tricks? or all non-North America stopover on one-way award is gone.
Yes. And I don't think this is reasonable in any sense.
A PVG-HND/NRT-HKG J routing with stopover costs 25K++ at AS, almost the same as a return J ticket from BA, so what's the reason to kill it? Only to make the future reward tickets more profitable for AS?
That said, if AS decides to do so, they better honour the SQ tickets in the first place in order to make it logically sound.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
“Sorry, the price was a mistake. You can pay the correct price or we cancel the ticket and give you the miles and fees back.”

Given how the DOT gives guidance on mistake fares these days I doubt this would be a problem with them.
Haha. Yes, actually I do agree with the DOT guidance on mistake fares. Just find the killing of intra-Asia stopover routing a bit unreasonable.
AS charges almost twice the price for these intra-Asia ow tix, comparing with BA ow tix. So I would say an AS intra-Asia ow is a ticket that is fundamentally a combined two ow tix, regarding the price someone has to pay.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:44 am

making it to blogs as well

OMAAT
https://onemileatatime.com/alaska-ai...ra-asia-awards
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by moreismore
Yes. And I don't think this is reasonable in any sense.
A PVG-HND/NRT-HKG J routing with stopover costs 25K++ at AS, almost the same as a return J ticket from BA, so what's the reason to kill it? Only to make the future reward tickets more profitable for AS?
That said, if AS decides to do so, they better honour the SQ tickets in the first place in order to make it logically sound.
How much would a DEL-NRT-HKG routing cost on BA as a one way in J? You’re cherry-picking on a distance based chart.

The reason to kill it is apparently pigs get fed but hogs get slaughtered; everyone decided to redeem all at once. I admit I am surprised how this went crazy once the blogs and message boards promoted it. AS has to pay for those flights, if the money gets way out of balance they’re going to fix the balance. You used to be able to do all kinds of tricks with EK too, then somebody bragged online and it got shut down and prices went up.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Haha. Yes, actually I do agree with the DOT guidance on mistake fares. Just find the killing of intra-Asia stopover routing a bit unreasonable.
AS charges almost twice the price for these intra-Asia ow tix, comparing with BA ow tix.
Do Avios and AS miles have the same value for you? Why not use buy it from BA then? Every award plan has a sweet spot. None of them are entirely sweet spots.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:52 am

How much would a DEL-NRT-HKG routing cost on BA as a one way in J? You’re cherry-picking on a distance based chart.

The reason to kill it is apparently pigs get fed but hogs get slaughtered; everyone decided to redeem all at once. I admit I am surprised how this went crazy once the blogs and message boards promoted it. AS has to pay for those flights, if the money gets way out of balance they’re going to fix the balance. You used to be able to do all kinds of tricks with EK too, then somebody bragged online and it got shut down and prices went up.
Sorry. My bad. I am focusing on my usual routing...
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do Avios and AS miles have the same value for you? Why not use buy it from BA then? Every award plan has a sweet spot. None of them are entirely sweet spots.
Good question. Of course no.
AS has a way more generous earning chart, especially when flying with J and F. And that said, regarding eponymous_coward's post, I am a bit cherry picking.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry. My bad. I am focusing on my usual routing...
No worries. Frankly if AS had done China in North Asia to start with we’d probably still have the stopovers- 65k/90k isn’t much different than KF. But once everyone piled on at 25k/35k... (sigh)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
this nice thing existed in EK/QF for years. It is nothing new here.
It was only around because people knew to keep their mouths shut. Even the bloggers knew that which is why they never talked about it.
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
It was only around because people knew to keep their mouths shut. Even the bloggers knew that which is why they never talked about it.
Except for that one blogger who had to brag about JFK-DXB-SIN-SYD-AKL-BNE-BKK or what the hell ever he flew in F...
jinglish likes this.

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by CDKing
what a load of crap! All over the Internet, there were talks about JL Intra-Asia tricks for years and for every Mileage plan sales. So all of sudden, it is a problem because someone here talked about it?

it is so obvious that SQ complained it to AS, which triggered all the actions. SQ always monitors its booking, especially for premium classes. There is no way for SQ not knowing it.

No worries. Frankly if AS had done China in North Asia to start with we’d probably still have the stopovers- 65k/90k isn’t much different than KF. But once everyone piled on at 25k/35k... (sigh)
Yes, and given the population here...
But give it a second thought. I'm confused why would AS/SQ publish such an imaginative stopover routing. I mean, just like the CX Vietnam fare, even these SQ fares are restricted to real SE Asia, still lots of guys would position to those cities.

Last edited by moreismore; Oct 17, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what a load of crap! All over the Internet, there were talks about JL Intra-Asia tricks for years and for every Mileage plan sales. So all of sudden, it is a problem because someone here talked about it?

it is so obvious that SQ complained it to AS, which triggered all the actions. SQ always monitors its booking, especially for premium classes. There is no way for SQ not knowing it.
Again, it’s AS that pays SQ for the bookings. They’ll notice pretty fast once they see they’re going to have to write SQ a large check (it’s not rocket science to notice booking patterns and costs for FF flights). Doesn’t need to be SQ complaining at all. Easiest to just make all Asia partners identical to CX (which never had intra-Asia stopovers).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Alaska
Again, it’s AS that pays SQ for the bookings. They’ll notice pretty fast once they see they’re going to have to write SQ a large check (it’s not rocket science to notice booking patterns and costs for FF flights). Doesn’t need to be SQ complaining at all. Easiest to just make all Asia partners identical to CX (which never had intra-Asia stopovers).
You mean that AS has been writing large checks to JL for years and it was okay. Now over one week, AS wrote more checks to SQ than JL over years?

JL tricks works for China, too.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean that AS has been writing large checks to JL for years and it was okay. Now over one week, AS wrote more checks to SQ than JL over years?

JL tricks works for China, too.
Yes. SIN is a bigger market for China than TYO, apparently, plus it all got hyped hard in Chinese/Singapore miles and points blogging and message boards. Also, JL doesn’t run F intra-Asia. SQ does, that means bigger checks.

Anyways, does it matter? It’s gone. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.