Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by espn23
Thanks for advice. Probably too late now, as I got tied up today and let another 24 hours pass. I guess I will try my luck at having the Platinum credit line increased to $5000 upon receipt of the card, which I understand can potentially lead to the 25k bonus but is generally a pain in the a$$.
Why wait? B/A takes forever to get the card to you. 2 weeks at least.

After starting the change process it's another 2 months.

If you really want to go thru the hassle to get your Plat changed into a Sig card I'd think you'd want to start doing that now. But that's just me.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by espn23
So I attempted the strategy I had read about on this forum to make sure I did not end up with a Platinum card, or so I thought. Apparently I went astray ...

I applied online and got approved for $2000 credit limit--i.e., a Platinum instead of a Signature. So I immediately applied again and got rejected for the duplicate application. I then immediately called reconsideration with the intent of canceling the first card and talking my way into a Signature for the second card. This is what I thought you were supposed to do.

But then I was thrown a curveball. I was told that there is no such thing as a reconsideration call until I receive a rejection letter in the mail 7 days later. They were unable to discuss my second rejected application at this time. I thought maybe I got a bad operator, who did not know the policies. So I hung up and call again. New operator; same story. Did I misunderstand the previous posts? Or has the policy changed?

Thanks in advance.
FYI the reconsideration numbers in the wiki are old and useless. if you call those numbers you will be told you can't recon. there are other BOA recon numbers floating around the internet which will help you.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
FYI the reconsideration numbers in the wiki are old and useless. if you call those numbers you will be told you can't recon. there are other BOA recon numbers floating around the internet which will help you.
Maybe someone who knows what number/s work now, will be so kind as to post them here. Who knows, maybe even post them in the wiki.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:37 pm

1-866-811-4108 worked for me
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
1-866-811-4108 worked for me
^Thanks....
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:12 pm

DATAPOINT: Applied for two Alaska Air visas today (first with the $100 statement credit link above, second via referral link), was declined for first and pending for second. Applied for the BOA BankAmericard immediately afterwards and was approved for that with a $5K limit.

Called the number above and spoke to a recon manager who advised that it wasn't possible for new BOA customers to get approved for more than one card initially, and that this was a relatively new policy. He stated that this policy change was a direct result of people applying for "five or six" credit cards in a single day.

Asked if it would be possible to get the approved BankAmericard transferred to an Alaska Air card since that was my first choice, but was told that this wasn't possible. Rep explicitly stated that it wouldn't be possible to receive an approval within 90 days of this application, but recommended that I attempt to reapply in 95 days or so.

Any advice? Should I try calling again and hoping I get a different response from a different rep?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by LNJSomers
DATAPOINT: Applied for two Alaska Air visas today (first with the $100 statement credit link above, second via referral link), was declined for first and pending for second. Applied for the BOA BankAmericard immediately afterwards and was approved for that with a $5K limit.

Called the number above and spoke to a recon manager who advised that it wasn't possible for new BOA customers to get approved for more than one card initially, and that this was a relatively new policy. He stated that this policy change was a direct result of people applying for "five or six" credit cards in a single day.

Asked if it would be possible to get the approved BankAmericard transferred to an Alaska Air card since that was my first choice, but was told that this wasn't possible. Rep explicitly stated that it wouldn't be possible to receive an approval within 90 days of this application, but recommended that I attempt to reapply in 95 days or so.

Any advice? Should I try calling again and hoping I get a different response from a different rep?
The standard advice on HUCA, with any and every bank (except Barclays) is a minimum of 3 calls.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by LNJSomers

Why didn't you recon the first one before doing anything? I don't see the logic in applying for 2 more cards after a denial. Now you have 3 applications in the same day to explain and got approved for the card you wanted least. Of course you can't PC from Americard to Alaska.

So yes, HUCA, but at this point I would manage your expectations and have a better approach next time.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Highest level of CS support? Who can make a decision?

I feel like I am getting the run around and wonder if there is a department I should try and reach to get some immediate results.

Short story: Applied for a Signature, got the platinum, rearranged a credit-line from another no-fee B of A card and was approved for the Signature with the promise that I would get the 25K bonus.

Still no miles, multiple calls later I get everything from 7-10 days to not eligible because the bonus is only for those that are instant approved.

The last CSR I talked to Monday seemed to be a little more advanced ( she identified herself from the " preferred client" office).....said I should get the miles but she needed to escalate it to a manager. Meanwhile yesterday I get a letter from the " rewards" department saying no miles because the application was not done "in-flight". Huh?

Is there an office I should be asking for to get this cleaned up?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:41 pm

Do you request how much you want to reduce the CL by? Or do you just ask them to reduce it and they assign you a new lower amount?

Found my answer and a template:

I would like to reduce my credit limit on my card ending in -0000 to $5,000. I understand and accept that this means I will not be able to increase this credit limit for 6 months, and that this will reduce my cash advance limit.

Did this via chat and not a secure message.

Last edited by jayoxd; Mar 30, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

I tried calling to convert the Platinum to Signature and get the additional bonus miles. I was told by three different operators that they now have a hard policy in place that you cannot receive the additional bonus miles unless you were approved for a Signature at the outset. Instead, you will receive 1,000 additional miles if upgraded.

[QUOTE=RobertHanson;26345709]Why wait? B/A takes forever to get the card to you. 2 weeks at least.

After starting the change process it's another 2 months.

If you really want to go thru the hassle to get your Plat changed into a Sig card I'd think you'd want to start doing that now. But that's just me. [/
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:01 am

Where do the sign-up miles come from?

Where do the actual sign-up bonus miles come from? BofA or AS?

During my most recent conversation about awarding my 25K sign-up miles after a platinum to signature conversion I was told that it was in AS hands now, and BofA has " submitted the request".

(BofA admitted and noted in my record, they offered the miles when I converted so they claim they are going to bat for me to get them for this exception.)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by david4455
Where do the actual sign-up bonus miles come from? BofA or AS?

During my most recent conversation about awarding my 25K sign-up miles after a platinum to signature conversion I was told that it was in AS hands now, and BofA has " submitted the request".

(BofA admitted and noted in my record, they offered the miles when I converted so they claim they are going to bat for me to get them for this exception.)
This sounds bogus. Normally, banks purchase large blocks of miles from them to hand out to customers as sign-up bonuses or awards for purchases. I don't believe AS has anything to do directly with issuing the bonus. BoA has to issue it and submit the info to AS to credit your account.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by akcae
This sounds bogus. Normally, banks purchase large blocks of miles from them to hand out to customers as sign-up bonuses or awards for purchases. I don't believe AS has anything to do directly with issuing the bonus. BoA has to issue it and submit the info to AS to credit your account.
That makes sense. It is possible that the CSR who said he saw " the request" to AS for miles just misinterpreted the meaning of the request and thought AS had the final say.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Applied this afternoon at point of purchase on AlaskaAir.com. Here's the rough sequence:

1. Reach "review and book" on Alaska site
2. Click card application ad, transfer to BoA app
3. Fill out app and submit
4. Page spins for a while, then I get a "can't complete right now, check app status page"
5. Click to app status page immediately, am told I was approved.
6. I never get routed back to Alaska website to complete purchase
7. Wail and grind teeth

I called BoA and confirmed I was approved. Problem is, I applied at the point I did so I could use the card to purchase tickets right then and there. (and get $100 credit too) So, will calling Alaska help at all here? Since the BoA app essentially tripped on itself and didn't forward me back to complete the purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.