Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Has anyone recently applied on the Alaska Airlines site with the 25K+ $100 after spending $1,000 offer, but not received the $100 credit. I called up BOA but they transfer me to Alaska who says it's a problem on BOAs side, and I'm getting nowhere.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Has anyone recently applied on the Alaska Airlines site with the 25K+ $100 after spending $1,000 offer, but not received the $100 credit. I called up BOA but they transfer me to Alaska who says it's a problem on BOAs side, and I'm getting nowhere.
Exactly when did your statement close that met the $1000 spend?
What does the T&C say about when the credit will post after the billing period close?
Once the time exceeds that period, then you should call BOA and inquire on the credit.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Exactly when did your statement close that met the $1000 spend?
What does the T&C say about when the credit will post after the billing period close?
Once the time exceeds that period, then you should call BOA and inquire on the credit.
Does the T&C on the welcome package say anything about the $100 credit? I applied for the same offer, but didn't see anything about the credit in my welcome package.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I applied a few weeks ago, got the card and welcome pack.

Made the spend, paid balance and received a letter outlining the $100 credit after the $1000 spend.

Will reduce the CL tomorrow in anticipation of the next app.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thumbs up Interesting application process

So...needing a quick infusion of miles I applied for a B of A Alaska card yesterday. I have credit score of low 800's and little held balances. I hold one non-fee BofA card with a 78K credit limit. ( no balance)

I was approved for a classic w/ a $1000 credit limit.

Something did not seem right. I called and the first CSR I spoke to suggested I cancel the approved card and reapply....maybe I did not fill out the application properly. So I followed her advice, asked her to cancel the card and reapplied. Same result.

I called again...this time I got a more savvy CSR who along with the help of a credit adviser... managed to move half my high credit limit on the no-fee card over to to the AS card, upgrade it to the Signature, making me eligible for the 25K bonus. ^

Although the first CSR said she would cancel that first card...she did not. The second agent did.

P.S I'm nervous to see if yesterday's actions made a serious mess of my credit score.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by david4455
So...needing a quick infusion of miles I applied for a B of A Alaska card yesterday. I have credit score of low 800's and little held balances. I hold one non-fee BofA card with a 78K credit limit. ( no balance)

I was approved for a classic w/ a $1000 credit limit.
Your current credit limit at BofA was probably too high.
Reduce first, then apply.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Mar 15, 2016 at 6:47 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Your current balance at BofA was probably too high.
Reduce first, then apply.
There was no outstanding balance at BofA. I have a high credit limit on the card...but no balance.

Do you mean reduce the credit limit on the one card?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by david4455
There was no outstanding balance at BofA. I have a high credit limit on the card...but no balance.

Do you mean reduce the credit limit on the one card?
Yes.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am running into this now on Chase when getting Chase cards which is triggering manual review. I wish we could know what the aggregate high water mark is so we can adjust before we apply.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Has there been any word on the promised elimination of the foreign transaction fee during last year's investor presentation? I have a trip to the UK in two months, and not having that 3% charge would be pretty damn great.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by jinglish
Has there been any word on the promised elimination of the foreign transaction fee during last year's investor presentation? I have a trip to the UK in two months, and not having that 3% charge would be pretty damn great.
As an alternative, Apply for the SPG Amex, then transfer the points to Alaska. You get an all time high bonus, no foreign transaction fees, and a 25% transfer bonus.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:44 pm

So I attempted the strategy I had read about on this forum to make sure I did not end up with a Platinum card, or so I thought. Apparently I went astray ...

I applied online and got approved for $2000 credit limit--i.e., a Platinum instead of a Signature. So I immediately applied again and got rejected for the duplicate application. I then immediately called reconsideration with the intent of canceling the first card and talking my way into a Signature for the second card. This is what I thought you were supposed to do.

But then I was thrown a curveball. I was told that there is no such thing as a reconsideration call until I receive a rejection letter in the mail 7 days later. They were unable to discuss my second rejected application at this time. I thought maybe I got a bad operator, who did not know the policies. So I hung up and call again. New operator; same story. Did I misunderstand the previous posts? Or has the policy changed?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by espn23
So I attempted the strategy I had read about on this forum to make sure I did not end up with a Platinum card, or so I thought. Apparently I went astray ...

I applied online and got approved for $2000 credit limit--i.e., a Platinum instead of a Signature. So I immediately applied again and got rejected for the duplicate application. I then immediately called reconsideration with the intent of canceling the first card and talking my way into a Signature for the second card. This is what I thought you were supposed to do.

But then I was thrown a curveball. I was told that there is no such thing as a reconsideration call until I receive a rejection letter in the mail 7 days later. They were unable to discuss my second rejected application at this time. I thought maybe I got a bad operator, who did not know the policies. So I hung up and call again. New operator; same story. Did I misunderstand the previous posts? Or has the policy changed?

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends solely on the csr you get. I had an almost identical story as yours but my second call did the trick. The csr did talk to a " credit manager" and when she came back on the line all was well. ( signature card, decent credit limit, 25K bonus). The one difference may have been I had a very high credit limit on a B of A no fee card already that they moved over to the new signature card.

The "wait 7 days until you get your rejection letter" was never mentioned in either of my calls.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by espn23

Thanks in advance.
You did not mis-understand. This is the method many people, including Brugge and myself, have recommended in the past. Has the policy changed, or did you get a couple of lousy CSRs? No idea.. But often if you do another app right after being approved, the second app is not denied. It just goes to indefinite "pending", and sits there, as it's assumed to be a mistaken duplicate of the first app, and thus no action is required. In which case you would not ever get a rejection letter.

The usual Recon advice (except for Barclays) is to call at least 3 times. But in your case, I'd try at least 4 times, since what they told you doesn't seem to make sense. Call at a different time of day, so you get a CSR on a different shift. Good Luck.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:29 pm

Thanks for advice. Probably too late now, as I got tied up today and let another 24 hours pass. I guess I will try my luck at having the Platinum credit line increased to $5000 upon receipt of the card, which I understand can potentially lead to the 25k bonus but is generally a pain in the a$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.