Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by invalyd
Just got an offer for 5x on Alaska purchases up to 2,500 bonus pts
How?
Email? Postal mail? A flight attendant knocked on your door?...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
How?
Email? Postal mail? A flight attendant knocked on your door?...
Yes, e-mail
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:44 am

If the limit is 2,500 bonus points, that means you were offered 5X on your first $500 of spend. That's not going to set any Guinness World Records.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
If the limit is 2,500 bonus points, that means you were offered 5X on your first $500 of spend. That's not going to set any Guinness World Records.
IIRC, when I was offered this last summer, it was basically 2x bonus miles above the normal 3x miles on AS purchases, so 5x total. That made the bonus good on the first $1,250 of AS spend.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by flymonthly
IIRC, when I was offered this last summer, it was basically 2x bonus miles above the normal 3x miles on AS purchases, so 5x total. That made the bonus good on the first $1,250 of AS spend.
Oh, if the bonus is only on AS ticket purchases, instead of regular spend, that's worth even less IMHO. I have over 200,000 AS miles, but I haven't bought a ticket from them in over 20 years.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Call them and ask. The critical term to listen for is "primary insurance" - and be sure to ask about the deductible.
It's quite possible that the FA is accurately describing it if that person doesn't have a personal policy from vehicle ownership. At that point, the secondary would cover everything.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Oh, if the bonus is only on AS ticket purchases, instead of regular spend, that's worth even less IMHO. I have over 200,000 AS miles, but I haven't bought a ticket from them in over 20 years.
That's great for you. I encourage you to pat yourself on the back and continue disclosing your mileage balances on public forums to compensate for your otherwise lackluster life.

I actually fly Alaska and have several flights which I was going to book anyway, so I'm happy to take the additional miles.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
billatq, how can that possibly be correct? Then none of us would involve our personal insurance. I think what they cover and what they don't does not vary from person to person based on their other insurance, it's just what they cover. Period. It's up to you to fill in the deficits (unless you like to live dangerously) either with your own personal policy or by buying it through the car rental company.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:47 pm

Just applied for my 3rd card in 9 months with one card still open, $13k limit.

I got approved, but only for $1k and knew this would be the classic card. So I called in (3 times) and finally got somebody to cancel the application, though they wouldn't move credit from my second account to approve a new card for $5k.

I just lowered the credit limit on the $13k card to free up some credit line -- do I need to wait a while longer to re-apply for the visa sig, or will the change be quick enough to where I can apply again today and hope the two apps get lumped into one hard pull?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Just applied for my 3rd card in 9 months with one card still open, $13k limit.

I got approved, but only for $1k and knew this would be the classic card. So I called in (3 times) and finally got somebody to cancel the application, though they wouldn't move credit from my second account to approve a new card for $5k.

I just lowered the credit limit on the $13k card to free up some credit line -- do I need to wait a while longer to re-apply for the visa sig, or will the change be quick enough to where I can apply again today and hope the two apps get lumped into one hard pull?
I would have knocked the $13k down to $1k before applying at all, but too late for that.

There's lots of advice on this in the thread which it appears you didn't read. You should have applied again immediately after, it would most likely go to pending (treated as a dup), call recon right away and get approved for Sig, then ask the same rep to close the classic.

In my case, I still ended up getting the 5k and $50 discount code for the classic, which was never even opened.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billatq
It's quite possible that the FA is accurately describing it if that person doesn't have a personal policy from vehicle ownership. At that point, the secondary would cover everything.
Correct. As long as your own auto insurance only has liability coverage (not comprehensive) then the credit card coverage (from any Visa / MC / Amex) would then become the Primary when it comes to CDW and Theft.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
billatq, how can that possibly be correct? Then none of us would involve our personal insurance. I think what they cover and what they don't does not vary from person to person based on their other insurance, it's just what they cover. Period. It's up to you to fill in the deficits (unless you like to live dangerously) either with your own personal policy or by buying it through the car rental company.
You mean "I dont think", right?

Yes the coverage is based on individual's own auto policy - if the person does not have an auto insurance because the person does not own a car, or if the auto insurance is liability only, then the CC coverage becomes Primary.

billatg has pointed out the preceding condition in order for the card coverage to become primary. And he is correct.

Primary only means the claim would first settle against the Primary policy which still have items such as Administration fee, loss of revenues (usually a scam from the rental car companies) are not covered by CC coverage.

Basic liability is usually included in the rental rate and is legally required so in many countries in the world even though the rental car companies may not explicitly to say so, just that they can sell you the liability insurance, too.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:56 pm

You are obviously much more versed in insurance issues than I.

I said, and I did mean, that it didn't make any sense *to me*, that if you did not have your own personal auto insurance then the Alaska Visa credit card insurance would cover *everything*, which is what I thought the other poster said (and what the FA said).

I still can't imagine how that can be possible.

Why would you not have to purchase additional coverage from the car rental company to be fully covered? Why would the Alaska Visa extend a certain amount/type of coverage to one person, and a different amount/type of coverage to another person, just because that person had no other coverage? Still makes no sense to me.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...Why would the Alaska Visa extend a certain amount/type of coverage to one person, and a different amount/type of coverage to another person, just because that person had no other coverage? Still makes no sense to me.
Many types of insurance (trip, car, health, etc) are set up as secondary. This means they will take care of things, but only after you have filed with the primary. They then pay what is left over.

So, if you do not have a primary, then this policy by default becomes primary. (I guess you could still call it secondary, but since it now covers everything...) Unless of course there is some small print that opts out of that.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:18 am

Why would you not have to purchase additional coverage from the car rental company to be fully covered? Why would the Alaska Visa extend a certain amount/type of coverage to one person, and a different amount/type of coverage to another person, just because that person had no other coverage? Still makes no sense to me.
In most cases I know of, if you purchase insurance from the rental company, then the coverage from the cc no longer applies.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:43 am

Then why would you ever say, in the event of an accident, that you had your own insurance? Just call up BofA/Alaska and say "I was in an accident in a rental car" and they will cover evverrrything, just like the FA and the other poster said, right? You will not pay one penny out of pocket, because you have the BofA/Alaska credit car, right? Every single thing will be covered - every aspect of the insurance - every thing involved with the accident - collision, liability, loss of use - ALL of that is covered just by having the AS Visa - is that what you are saying since it covers "everything"?

Still don't buy it, sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.