Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
Called a 4th time and was told they are no longer allowed to use the "old" way. She called it Direct Connect. Something about showing the wrong inventory so only allowed to use the web tool
Uh-oh. That's not good.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
Uh-oh. That's not good.
I wish they would just fix the AS site. If there its Z1 you cant book it but if there is Z2 you can book both. It has to be some sort of glitch.

I didn't think to ask what they use to book CX awards, i would assume direct connect because we know its not web based.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Does anyone know how many meals (and which ones) EK serves on their SEA-DXB flight in J? We're trying plan our post-arrival meal in Dubai.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:03 am
Suspended

Is F availability on the A380 easier to find close-in or farther-out? Trying to snag 2 F seats o/w US to NBO/South Africa...

thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CXtoQF
Is F availability on the A380 easier to find close-in or farther-out? Trying to snag 2 F seats o/w US to NBO/South Africa...

thanks!
close-in. to my knowledge jfk-dxb has decent space close in.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Yes(Seat 2A, are you lurking and did you take the SEA routing on your recent trip? Still waiting for a trip report, BTW. )
It's not the summer, so he's likely off on another trip.

Called a 4th time and was told they are no longer allowed to use the "old" way. She called it Direct Connect. Something about showing the wrong inventory so only allowed to use the web tool
This is what I was afraid of when they announced the new booking platform. IIRC, I got scolded by Missy and maybe ASTechGuy for predicting this, but sadly, now it's come true--the value of our miles just went down because the new search tool is broken and agents are no longer allowed to go through the system that actually works.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found out from ASTechGuy that its called "Direct Access" but the same if its not on AS website cannot book it. Ill have to book a CX outbound and hope something opens up. I already have EK for January. I have one for May as well but dropping it for the Asiana F on the new suites product and one last trip through the TG First Class lounge at BKK.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
So does this mean that data on ExpertFlyer is not as meaningful since we have to be able to see it on the AS site to be able to book it?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
This is what I was afraid of when they announced the new booking platform. IIRC, I got scolded by Missy and maybe ASTechGuy for predicting this, but sadly, now it's come true--the value of our miles just went down because the new search tool is broken and agents are no longer allowed to go through the system that actually works.
An unannounced devaluation. Although AS' intentions may be pure, it doesn't matter if space is blocked intentionally or by accident. Lack of availability for any reason is a devaluation.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
So does this mean that data on ExpertFlyer is not as meaningful since we have to be able to see it on the AS site to be able to book it?
Well it somewhat meaningful. If there is no space on EF there is no space on AS. It will save you from clicking through every day on the calendar only to find its BA space
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Well it somewhat meaningful. If there is no space on EF there is no space on AS. It will save you from clicking through every day on the calendar only to find its BA space
Certainly. But if EF is showing Z1 or Z2, and AS.com is showing zero, then something is wrong. To baliktad's point, it's a devaluation, which I sincerely hope is extremely temporary.

Can ASTechGuy or Missy help us out here relative to an AS.com fix? Or is it that EK isn't releasing some space to AS or other partners?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly. But if EF is showing Z1 or Z2, and AS.com is showing zero, then something is wrong. To baliktad's point, it's a devaluation, which I sincerely hope is extremely temporary.

Can ASTechGuy or Missy help us out here relative to an AS.com fix? Or is it that EK isn't releasing some space to AS or other partners?
Typically with EF it shows availability to members of the airlines own program but since EK has partner and saver buckets I would think it would be the same as we can book AA and DL saver space so why cant we book Emirates saver.

Now I wonder if KE has a way to look up availability of its partners so we can see if that matches EF or AS

Ive noticed if Z is 1 i cant find it at all but is Z >1 its been avalable at least for what I have searched so far
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:59 pm

Typically with EF it shows availability to members of the airlines own program but since EK has partner and saver buckets I would think it would be the same as we can book AA and DL saver space so why cant we book Emirates saver.

Now I wonder if KE has a way to look up availability of its partners so we can see if that matches EF or AS

Ive noticed if Z is 1 i cant find it at all but is Z >1 its been avalable at least for what I have searched so far
Thanks CDKing. That makes sense given some dates I'm looking at. And, actually, if that's the case any route that's a 777 (where EK usually releases Z1 at the outset) would be affected. Say, uh, for example....SEA. So, AS won't ever show F (Z) availability ex-SEA, unless it went to Z2, right?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Or is it that EK isn't releasing some space to AS or other partners?
I don't believe that is the case. The fact that AS agents could find and book Z tickets by using the old Direct Connect would seem to indicate that it is an AS problem. Hopefully, this is a problem that AS plans to solve, although the cynic in me thinks that AS is in no hurry to correct this and thus have to buy more Z seats from EK.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SFO777
I don't believe that is the case. The fact that AS agents could find and book Z tickets by using the old Direct Connect would seem to indicate that it is an AS problem. Hopefully, this is a problem that AS plans to solve, although the cynic in me thinks that AS is in no hurry to correct this and thus have to buy more Z seats from EK.
From my limited experience over the course of a trial Expert Flyer membership, there has to be at least 2 Z seats showing for AS.com to show it being available. Does that mean that in the past, Z has shown 1 seat on Expert Flyer and it didn't show up on AS.com. But by calling in, they could book it? I just attributed it to either expert flyer being wrong, or Emirates only allowing certain Z seats to be sold to Alaska.

I haven't been following this that closely, so it's possible this was answered earlier in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.