Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
It beats AA F for 32.5K. Ill save the 20K miles from AA and stick with Main Cabin Extra.
If you are using AA miles, AA two class F should only be 25K.
If you are routing via JFK, you can get three class F on the new 1-1 A321 for 32.5K.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
If you are using AA miles, AA two class F should only be 25K.
If you are routing via JFK, you can get three class F on the new 1-1 A321 for 32.5K.
Sadly AS miles.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Sadly AS miles.
And we can't book domestic AA 3-class F with AS miles

However, I am not clear if we book something like LAX-JFK-LHR in AA F then they will put us in the F cabin or still the J cabin.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
And we can't book domestic AA 3-class F with AS miles

However, I am not clear if we book something like LAX-JFK-LHR in AA F then they will put us in the F cabin or still the J cabin.
Just looked at LAX-MIA-JFK-LHR and it looks like they'll let you pick the F cabin on the LAX-MIA leg despite actually being coach for the JFK-LHR leg.
(Side note: I found exactly zero AA F US-LHR in the limited looking I did)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Just looked at LAX-MIA-JFK-LHR and it looks like they'll let you pick the F cabin on the LAX-MIA leg despite actually being coach for the JFK-LHR leg.
(Side note: I found exactly zero AA F US-LHR in the limited looking I did)
I believe on LAX-MIA, the J cabin is treated as coach. EXP can pick seats in the J cabin at booking on coach ticket.

ETA: Maybe I am wrong, perhaps that is for MIA-JFK or DFW-ORD. I am not too sure.

Last edited by golfingboy; Sep 19, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe on LAX-MIA, the J cabin is treated as coach. EXP can pick seats in the J cabin at booking on coach ticket.
When there was a 3 class widebody put on SAN-JFK (sadly gave the ticket up), all of J cabin was listed as main cabin extra seat, which I was able to grab as MVPG.

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:49 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:39 pm

EK is starting BOS-DXB on March 10, 2014, so that is another option for redemptions.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: A few
EK is starting BOS-DXB on March 10, 2014, so that is another option for redemptions.
yeah i saw that on airline routes... hopefully that should be on that is quite open on the redemption front.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it say plane type? I'm guessing 777? Probably wont stop me from flying BOS to LAX to get A380. I may used it as my return if miraculously opens up in F
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:07 pm

Does it say plane type? I'm guessing 777? Probably wont stop me from flying BOS to LAX to get A380. I may used it as my return if miraculously opens up in F
77L. I flew the 77L and the A380. I found the service to be better on the 777 due to the smaller cabin and it feels more exclusive. Also in the window seats the 777 is roomier as the curvature is noticeable on the 380. As matter of fact, I hit my head on the ceiling twice on the 380 when I stood up. Not an issue on the 777.

But then the 380 is the 380 and it has the shower.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

77L. I flew the 77L and the A380. I found the service to be better on the 777 due to the smaller cabin and it feels more exclusive. Also in the window seats the 777 is roomier as the curvature is noticeable on the 380. As matter of fact, I hit my head on the ceiling twice on the 380 when I stood up. Not an issue on the 777.

Too bad the inugural is on a monday. I'm crossing fingers DXB-BOS will at least have some award seats for a little bit of time So i can use it as my return if i keep my May trip. Flights and some fares are loaded but dont seem to be bookable yet. 0 for award buckets but ill be watching when it goes live.

Yep A380 has shower. It will be cool. When i fly out of LAX in January it will be one of the top longest non-stops by scheduled distance, longest A380 flight by schduled distance and longest route in the EK system by distance.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

Thanks for the comparison. I changed a flight from an A380 to a 777LR since it was more convenient, and was really conflicted about it. I still do have a connecting A380 flight, just a shorter one.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What ever happened wit your Thai A380 flight. Did you get Window or Aisle? How did it compare to EK A380 feeling. I did both window and middle on Thai's. I'm wondering if I should try middle on one of my EK segments
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:39 pm

What ever happened wit your Thai A380 flight. Did you get Window or Aisle? How did it compare to EK A380 feeling. I did both window and middle on Thai's. I'm wondering if I should try middle on one of my EK segments
Thai, I was in 1K, just like with my EK flights. The seats on Thai felt roomier and because of the massive bins on the side of the seat by the window, the seat was more towards to the aisle than EK, so the ceiling was not an issue. I would say the TG seat sits close to half foot further from the wall than EK's seat.

But EK's IFE, minibar, pajamas, food, booze, duvet, pillow, bathroom, well everything knocks TG out of the water. EK's terminal A lounge is better IMO except for the massage, golf cart, and slightly better seat [position wise and width].

The middle seat is very private, there is a pretty thick divider that goes up pretty high and you won't feel like someone is sitting next to you. However, I would still go for the window seats.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Does it say plane type? I'm guessing 777?
I wouldn't get too excited about this flight compared to other NA flights. It's a 772 with open suites not the private suites you get on the 77W and A380.

"... The flight will be operated by a GE-90 engine-powered Boeing 777-200LR..."
emirates.com DXB-BOS Announcement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.