Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Apr 5, 14, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Jul 5, 13, 1:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I can't even find X space bookable on AS site. X is supposed to be partner coach awards
Apparently, they have fixed the issue with X space.

I spoke with one of the agents, and she said they are seeing exactly what we see on AS.com [except for CX, LA, and KE of course], so if AS.com is having issues showing space online then the partner desk agents won't be able to see it.

Is there any other way I can get the partner desk to use the GDS as opposed to the system AS.com uses to search for Z space on EK?

I have no idea what is going on, whether EK has a subset of Z for partners now [as they don't have a dedicated partner F award booking class] or AS.com is still having issues showing F award space on EK properly. This is getting a little upsetting for me as I have no idea and I see space on EF for the dates I want [I don't have that many vacation days, so would like to fly out on Saturday as opposed to Sunday and save a vacation day on the return for the holidays with the family].

Any advice please? Whether here on via PM would be great!
Old Jul 5, 13, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Apparently, they have fixed the issue with X space.

I spoke with one of the agents, and she said they are seeing exactly what we see on AS.com [except for CX, LA, and KE of course], so if AS.com is having issues showing space online then the partner desk agents won't be able to see it.

Is there any other way I can get the partner desk to use the GDS as opposed to the system AS.com uses to search for Z space on EK?

I have no idea what is going on, whether EK has a subset of Z for partners now [as they don't have a dedicated partner F award booking class] or AS.com is still having issues showing F award space on EK properly. This is getting a little upsetting for me as I have no idea and I see space on EF for the dates I want [I don't have that many vacation days, so would like to fly out on Saturday as opposed to Sunday and save a vacation day on the return for the holidays with the family].

Any advice please? Whether here on via PM would be great!
If you find out anything let me know. That's one reason i don't like the reps using the same tool we use because if one is broken i bet they are both broken
Old Jul 5, 13, 2:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Data Point for more confusion:
Alaskaair.com is now showing a lot of F space that matches EF.
Last night I called the partner desk/reservations, the agent was helpful and friendly but it didn't get anywhere.

as.com showed Z2 on JFK-DXB she said it wasn't showing on her system.

So I booked JFK-DXB-SEZ online in First. To get a stopover, the system calculated it as a massive layover something like "192 hour layover"

2 Passengers 200,000 miles, First Class $50.20 in taxes. I'll take it!

I really don't like my DXB-SEZ onward dates, but hope to change this once I am in Dubai?
(I think that is possible since I won't need space on the outbound leg, having already flown it, maybe I can even call it in from the plane.)

Last edited by AMRivlin; Jul 5, 13 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 25, 13, 6:19 pm

Hey Folks:

Just returned from a SEA>DXB>SIN return itinerary on EK (my wife and I in first, and our kids in business). BE AWARE - there is some issue with Alaska miles tickets that causes lounge access issues. Lounge attendants and gate agents asked me everytime if I was EK staff. When I explained that we used AS miles, they spoke to their supervisors and cleared it up. On our return, at the FC lounge in DXB, the agents there were even aware of the issue specific to AS award tickets.

If anyone from AS reads this, I suggest you investigate and clear up the issue. It was a hassle and wasted time on our end (jet lagged, exhausted...last thing we needed was to wait around another 10-15 minutes each time).

Last edited by Tall Travel Dude; Jul 25, 13 at 6:19 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 25, 13, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tall Travel Dude View Post
Hey Folks:

Just returned from a SEA>DXB>SIN return itinerary on EK (my wife and I in first, and our kids in business). BE AWARE - there is some issue with Alaska miles tickets that causes lounge access issues. Lounge attendants and gate agents asked me everytime if I was EK staff. When I explained that we used AS miles, they spoke to their supervisors and cleared it up. On our return, at the FC lounge in DXB, the agents there were even aware of the issue specific to AS award tickets.

If anyone from AS reads this, I suggest you investigate and clear up the issue. It was a hassle and wasted time on our end (jet lagged, exhausted...last thing we needed was to wait around another 10-15 minutes each time).
Any idea other than the AS Ticket Plate, what would cause this? Did they say anything specific? Part of the allure of the trip is the EK premier lounges in JFK/SFO/DXB. We fly in October, I hope the reasoning and answer is solved by then. Some FTers are meeting with the West Coast Revenue Sales VP tonight maybe I can ask him something strategic.
Old Jul 25, 13, 9:44 pm

Programs: ASMVP Gold75k DL Gold UA Premier Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Platinum Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
If you book an emirates award ticket as a MVP 75k gold and then cancel at a later date what are the ramifications? As far as I can tell you lose the $12.50 non refundable online ticketing fee. Is this correct?
Old Jul 25, 13, 11:53 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nichanderson View Post
If you book an emirates award ticket as a MVP 75k gold and then cancel at a later date what are the ramifications? As far as I can tell you lose the $12.50 non refundable online ticketing fee. Is this correct?
As a Gold or 75K, you can cancel any award reservation at any time and receive a full refund of all miles, taxes, and fees. The partner ticketing fee ($12.50 each way, whether booked online or over the phone) is the only fee that's non-refundable.

To avoid losing the non-refundable partner fee, if you still plan on flying an award sometime in the future, you can simply change your award itinerary to a future date (even just as placeholder until your plans are firm), as change fees are waived for Gold/75K.
Old Jul 26, 13, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Any idea other than the AS Ticket Plate, what would cause this? Did they say anything specific? Part of the allure of the trip is the EK premier lounges in JFK/SFO/DXB. We fly in October, I hope the reasoning and answer is solved by then. Some FTers are meeting with the West Coast Revenue Sales VP tonight maybe I can ask him something strategic.
Don't worry, you'll get into the lounges, it will just take some insistence and persistence from your end. Just make sure they understand you're flying on AS miles, and that you're not EK staff.
Old Jul 26, 13, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Don't worry, you'll get into the lounges, it will just take some insistence and persistence from your end. Just make sure they understand you're flying on AS miles, and that you're not EK staff.
I had the same thing happen in DXB in May. Just let them know you're on AS award tix, works out. The lounge is awesome!!
Old Jul 26, 13, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I had the same thing happen in DXB in May. Just let them know you're on AS award tix, works out. The lounge is awesome!!
Is AS buying "Buddy Passes" for award travel?
Old Jul 28, 13, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Is AS buying "Buddy Passes" for award travel?
It sounds like a limitation of the fare bucket... and probably lack of familiarity with 027 ticket stock...
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Hey Folks:

Your issues with lounge access, in general, aside. Did they give you any hassles relative to your kids being in business and gaining access to an F lounge? Curious on this point, as we'll be in a similar arrangement going through DXB.
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Has anyone ever seen 4 Z seats?

Just curious if EK does something similar to CX, where they release 2 F seats at 330 days, then nothing until about 2 weeks (give or take) ahead of the flight to release additional seats depending on capacity. Has anyone ever seen either Z4 or Z2 and then Z2 again?
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer View Post
Just curious if EK does something similar to CX, where they release 2 F seats at 330 days, then nothing until about 2 weeks (give or take) ahead of the flight to release additional seats depending on capacity. Has anyone ever seen either Z4 or Z2 and then Z2 again?
I don't think EK releases at t-330, not f anyways.
Old Aug 2, 13, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ive checked through most of august on Experflyer and not a single award seat DXB-JFK. I should have booked as soon as EK awards became available when there were at least 2 award seats on every flight.

Search this Thread