Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Apr 5, 14, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Aug 2, 13, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer View Post
Just curious if EK does something similar to CX, where they release 2 F seats at 330 days, then nothing until about 2 weeks (give or take) ahead of the flight to release additional seats depending on capacity. Has anyone ever seen either Z4 or Z2 and then Z2 again?
Since the initial few months, I have never seen Z2 let alone Z4 at the release date. It looks like EK releases seats 340 days out. JFK-MXP-DXB is showing Z1 out as far as 7/7/14.

Finding Z2 outside of two weeks before departure is possible just not very common. IME, one has a better chance on A380 flights where there are 14 seats. About a month ago, I booked two JFK-DXB F seats for October. Naturally, only 1 DXB-JNB F seat (77W) was available on the connector, so Mrs. SFO is in F, while I'm in J.
Old Aug 2, 13, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked two First (Z) tickets on the new LAX-DXB A380 service for next February. Only one First seat was available DXB-CPT (77W) so Mrs. SFO has that one while I'm slumming (for the moment) back in Business. A day later than I wanted on the return, but just booked JNB-HKG-SFO all the way back in CX First. Love the new one ways!!

BTW, there is reasonable two seat First availability on that LAX-DXB flight starting in February when EK switches from the 77W to the A380.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 2, 13 at 11:20 pm Reason: Found and booked the return on CX
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Just booked two First (Z) tickets on the new LAX-DXB A380 service for next February. Only one First seat was available DXB-CPT (77W) so Mrs. SFO has that one while I'm slumming (for the moment) back in Business. No obvious (CX or EK) way to get back home at this point but I'll worry about that later.

BTW, there is reasonable two seat First availability on that LAX-DXB flight starting in February when EK switches from the 77W to the A380.
I had a feeling space was going to open up on the switch over. Thanks for posting that it did. I just booked LAX-DXB-HKG in F all the way on the A380 around presidents day weekend. Now i just need to figure how i'm going to get to LAX and back from HKG. I booked one for May as well just in case its a bad winter

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 2, 13 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 2, 13, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Indeed. We've booked 2 in Z as well, with 2 in J, and have seen quite decent Z2 space ex-LAX. We're hoping to move the other 2 in our party up to F (Z) if they release more closer to departure, but wonder if the original 2 seats they release are it?

And, FYI- alaska's system is not showing accurately right now. Last night, we got excited because a search for 4 Z seats came back positive on as.com for several dates next year, only to call and have the partner desk tell us there were only two on all of those dates. Frustrated, we checked EF, and it showed Z2. we mentioned this to the partner desk and the agent said Emirates hasn't updated their (AS's) website inventory yet."
Old Aug 2, 13, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, FYI- alaska's system is not showing accurately right now. Last night, we got excited because a search for 4 Z seats came back positive on as.com for several dates next year, only to call and have the partner desk tell us there were only two on all of those dates. Frustrated, we checked EF, and it showed Z2. we mentioned this to the partner desk and the agent said Emirates hasn't updated their (AS's) website inventory yet."
Agree on continuing issues with AS.com.
Even though EF showed Z2 for LAX-DXB and Z1 for DXB-CPT both as point-to-point and married segments, AS.com would not recognize the Z1 on DXB-CPT and wanted to put me in J.
Had to call the partner desk where agent confirmed Z availability for DXB-CPT and ticketed Z all the way.
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:35 pm

Your issues with lounge access, in general, aside. Did they give you any hassles relative to your kids being in business and gaining access to an F lounge? Curious on this point, as we'll be in a similar arrangement going through DXB.
No, they didn't. In fact, they made me aware that as a FC passenger, we were allowed one guest each, so therefore, we were able to bring our kids into the FC lounge.
Old Aug 5, 13, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Tall Travel Dude View Post
No, they didn't. In fact, they made me aware that as a FC passenger, we were allowed one guest each, so therefore, we were able to bring our kids into the FC lounge.
^ Perfect. Thank you!
Old Aug 5, 13, 11:17 am

Since the initial few months, I have never seen Z2 let alone Z4 at the release date...

Finding Z2 outside of two weeks before departure is possible just not very common. IME, one has a better chance on A380 flights where there are 14 seats.
Right, and as you mentioned the A380 made a difference in seeing Z2.

But what does everyone think relative to EK opening another 2 Z seats say, closer to departure? For example, we took a trip last year on CX with all 4 of us in F. We all know CX only releases 2 in F at something like 360 days. Then, depending on space, will release additional seats about 2 weeks (or so) ahead of departure (which is when we snagged the additional 2 seats).

So if I booked the 2 Z seats at 340 days out, what are the chances they'll release another 2 Z seats closer to departure? Anybody have experience with that or have seen it?
Old Aug 12, 13, 3:28 pm

Programs: A few
I managed to book two of us in F JFK-DXB-MLE for late August, JFK-DXB on the A380 and then on to MLE in F on the old 777-300. Availability matched up with ExpertFlyer. Looking forward to trying out EK! Coming back with EY so will be an interesting comparison of the two UAE rivals
Old Aug 12, 13, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I managed to book two of us in F JFK-DXB-MLE for late August, JFK-DXB on the A380 and then on to MLE in F on the old 777-300. Availability matched up with ExpertFlyer. Looking forward to trying out EK! Coming back with EY so will be an interesting comparison of the two UAE rivals
Very nice. We're doing the same comparison in October to/from JNB.
Old Aug 12, 13, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Very nice. We're doing the same comparison in October to/from JNB.
Should be a fun trip report read!
Old Aug 13, 13, 10:38 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Has the A380 inventory out of JFK dried up?

I searched many dates and EK 205 is available but not the A380s
Old Aug 13, 13, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naroowal View Post
I searched many dates and EK 205 is available but not the A380s
It depends on what dates you are searching. I still see A380 avails (including some Z2s) on the few dates I checked.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 13, 13 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 24, 13, 8:25 pm

Question for you guys. Thinking of booking a trip from NYC-BOM. Now I want to do 1-way with 2 different airlines. Should I choose EK F JFK-DXB-BOM or BOM-DXB-JFK? The other 1-way would be on CX which I think routes JFK-HKG-BOM. I see availability on EK204 (A380) from JFK-DXB. From DXB-BOM I have option of either the A330(F) or 777(J class only).
Old Aug 24, 13, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
Question for you guys. Thinking of booking a trip from NYC-BOM. Now I want to do 1-way with 2 different airlines. Should I choose EK F JFK-DXB-BOM or BOM-DXB-JFK? The other 1-way would be on CX which I think routes JFK-HKG-BOM. I see availability on EK204 (A380) from JFK-DXB. From DXB-BOM I have option of either the A330(F) or 777(J class only).
IME, I think you will have better luck finding JFK-DXB-anywhere rather than the return. We booked JFK-DXB-JNB in October and then LAX-DXB-CPT in February, but couldn't find a return. So we are returning on Etihad in October and CX in February.

Search this Thread