Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I'm sitting at the PDX AS lounge at the moment. I see them denying access to PP customers when the place is empty.

Likewise with LAX, they always have a sign that denies PP but I go in anyways. They usually say no at first but ask for my boarding pass, having F seats on AS helps get me in the AS lounge but it shouldn't be this way. This is mostly true for the domestic airports. The PP lounge in asia are so much nicer and never an issue getting in.

Got in to As Lounge Seattle June 5 Concourse D at 7am departure

Got in AS Lounge and Korean Air Lounge in LAX at 2pm, 3pm - June 12.
KL Lounge is better than AS at LAX. KL Lounge is almost 20 minute walk from AS Lounge so add 40-45 minutes walking,

Great time...I was surprised ,

Last edited by euromannn; Jun 13, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Went to the SEA AS lounge, concourse C this morning ~8:30am. Not only got in, but my wife ended up using her PP as I couldn't find mine. So either +1 or 2 PPs was no issue, and there were no signs when we left.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've been turned away a couple times at SEA at the AS lounge this year due to capacity issues (fortunately I was flying DL and have a skyclub membership but like the Boardroom better). I had a 3 1/2 hour layover in ATL a couple months ago and wanted to get a quick nap in and was told there was a three hour wait at minute suites. Fortunately I was able to get into the Club at F (I like using that over the skyclub because they have comped Kahula) and when I was leaving they were telling guests trying to get in they were only admitting their airline partners eligible passengers and not admitting Delta PP passengers.

Coming back from LIM there was a long wait to get in the lounge. They had a separate line for eligible airline guests and another much longer line for PP holders. As people were leaving they were allowing others in but moving a lot more guests in the airline line to enter (it seemed like they were allowing six people in the airline line in to enter and then allowing 1 person in the PP line to enter). FOrtunately I was on a business class ticket and didn't take that long to enter.

I used the PP lounges at EWR and JFK recently and those were awful lounges and I just went over to the Skyclubs.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:13 am

Refused entry at AMS Aspire Lounge until 11am

I'm at Schipol Airport and have 2 hours before a flight . The Aspire Lounge (#41) refused entry at around 8:45am for card holders, told me that they could take me at 11am. My flight is at 10:55, so basically useless. I'd been thinking of canceling my CSR card since I've just been billed the new annual fee. I think this made the decision for me.

Update: I subsequently noticed that the lounge database did say that entry to that lounge may be restricted between 9-11am in busy season. Not sure if this is a new restriction for that lounge, but last August I had no problem getting in at 10am.

Last edited by MisterBill; Jun 25, 2018 at 1:47 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA P1K, MR Plat
With the exception of The Club at DFW, I haven't had too many issues getting into PP lounges, particularly in IAH (>90% of the time I get in to the KLM lounge with no issue). The biggest downside to PP for me is the quality of the lounges (PHX, EWR, JFK, LGA and DFW come to mind). As with airlines and hotels, the experience outside NA is generally much better than what you get here.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
So what are my chances of using an AS lounge on a Saturday between 5 pm and 7 pm in Seattle. I don't use the PP benefit much but have a good layover next month. I have no idea when peak hours would be.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by MisterBill
I'm at Schipol Airport and have 2 hours before a flight . The Aspire Lounge (#41) refused entry at around 8:45am for card holders, told me that they could take me at 11am. My flight is at 10:55, so basically useless. I'd been thinking of canceling my CSR card since I've just been billed the new annual fee. I think this made the decision for me.

Update: I subsequently noticed that the lounge database did say that entry to that lounge may be restricted between 9-11am in busy season. Not sure if this is a new restriction for that lounge, but last August I had no problem getting in at 10am.
I was there a week earlier (19 June). Arrived around 10:30 and although I got in it was busy. It cleared up a little during the 11-12 hour. It appears they are also doing construction so that may reduce capacity. It is a large lounge but it is used by a lot of airlines. So I am not super surprised that you were denied at 8:45. I know it's annoying but in this case it's possible there really wasn't any space available.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lisah101
So what are my chances of using an AS lounge on a Saturday between 5 pm and 7 pm in Seattle. I don't use the PP benefit much but have a good layover next month. I have no idea when peak hours would be.
That is a lounge which often gets mentioned for not allowing PP users. However unless there was a local event on, that would usually be the quietest time of the week and so your chances of success should be higher than almost any other time.
lisah101 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:58 pm

DEN and BWI

DEN - 2 July - Timberline Steaks and Grille. Too bad I was there at breakfast time and that I was flying UA. As it was I only had 50 minutes between arriving at B, getting to C, and then returning to B. Lunch menu was 30 minutes away. Anyhow, a good experience. I had not tried the PP restaurant option as of yet. The waitress gave a briefing on the PP rules. French toast and the house Bloody Mary were great (and served about 10 minutes after placing order). Left the tip in cash.

BWI - 5 July - The Club. BWI/DCA/IAD are my home airports; BWI primarily WN. I rarely depart from D or E, thus I have never tired The Club (can not access from A B or C). Arrived at D this evening and had some time to kill. Opportunity to try it. Ugg. My UA boarding pass had broken in 1/2 and I didn't have the scanned image 1/2. As I was digging through my bag for it, I asked her what would happen if I couldn't find it. She stated that she'd 'have to follow a different protocol'. Me, "what do you need?" Her, "I just have to enter your ticket information manually". Big deal.

That said, I do not think that I'd ever get to BWI early for The Club. First and foremost, there was no adult supervision that I could see. There were at least 6 employees, all in their early 20s, either using their phones and/or, what would appear to some, having an inappropriate conversation at the bar. Food selection was minimal (not unexpected) and many of the jelly beans were melted together, i.e. old. The bartender did proactively offer me a drink, which I declined due to driving.

Just thought that I'd share...
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:02 pm

Also thought I'd share...

DEN - July 4, Timberline Steaks and Grille around 12:30pm. I ended up sitting at the bar so service was on the slower side but other than that no issues. They did not ask to see my boarding pass to verify I was flying out from Denver so I wonder if people try to grab a bite here when they arrive as well. The place was pretty busy although I couldn't tell how many of the people were PP.

ATL - July 4, The Club, around 7:30 pm. There were some open seats and tables but it was pretty crowded. I'm not sure if this is typical given the holiday but if so then anyone looking for a quiet place to work/relax is going to be disappointed. Employees did seem pretty good about cleaning up and keeping things stocked. The food was OK for a snack (soup, salad, hummus, small sandwiches). This is over in the the F concourse so it'll take a while to get back to the domestic concourses. Unlike Timberline they did check my boarding pass to verify I was flying out.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by cambridgeguy
Also thought I'd share...

DEN - July 4, Timberline Steaks and Grille around 12:30pm. I ended up sitting at the bar so service was on the slower side but other than that no issues. They did not ask to see my boarding pass to verify I was flying out from Denver so I wonder if people try to grab a bite here when they arrive as well. The place was pretty busy although I couldn't tell how many of the people were PP.

ATL - July 4, The Club, around 7:30 pm. There were some open seats and tables but it was pretty crowded. I'm not sure if this is typical given the holiday but if so then anyone looking for a quiet place to work/relax is going to be disappointed. Employees did seem pretty good about cleaning up and keeping things stocked. The food was OK for a snack (soup, salad, hummus, small sandwiches). This is over in the the F concourse so it'll take a while to get back to the domestic concourses. Unlike Timberline they did check my boarding pass to verify I was flying out.
Is it a PP rule for only outbound? Timberline did not ask me for my BP, but the BWI The Club did, my final destination was BWI, but no problem.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by rooney
I agree with OP; it's listed as a benefit and if you can't use it then it's no longer a benefit and shouldn't be sold as such. I was at PDX yesterday and saw the sign about no access for PP members.
Same for me last Saturday and Sunday at PDX. Sign was out both days when I was there. We just hung out at Vino Volo....
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
So I am not super surprised that you were denied at 8:45. I know it's annoying but in this case it's possible there really wasn't any space available.
They were letting other people who had airline access in, just not PP customers. So it wasn't REALLY full.

I was annoyed because I had other people with me who we had met on the cruise and told them that I'd get them into the lounge.

Last edited by MisterBill; Jul 9, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by lamphs

BWI - 5 July - The Club. BWI/DCA/IAD are my home airports; BWI primarily WN. I rarely depart from D or E, thus I have never tired The Club (can not access from A B or C). Arrived at D this evening and had some time to kill. Opportunity to try it. Ugg. My UA boarding pass had broken in 1/2 and I didn't have the scanned image 1/2. As I was digging through my bag for it, I asked her what would happen if I couldn't find it. She stated that she'd 'have to follow a different protocol'. Me, "what do you need?" Her, "I just have to enter your ticket information manually". Big deal.

That said, I do not think that I'd ever get to BWI early for The Club. First and foremost, there was no adult supervision that I could see. There were at least 6 employees, all in their early 20s, either using their phones and/or, what would appear to some, having an inappropriate conversation at the bar. Food selection was minimal (not unexpected) and many of the jelly beans were melted together, i.e. old. The bartender did proactively offer me a drink, which I declined due to driving.

Just thought that I'd share...

The new club in BWI is pretty awful. The food they put out is almost not worth eating and they don't even have a good coffee machine. I usually just stop in to throw a few cans or bottles of Perrier, juice, soda in my bag, and grab a handful of bananas and granola bars for the flight.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MisterBill
They were letting other people who had airline access, just not PP customers. So it wasn't REALLY full.

I was annoyed because I had other people with me who we had met on the cruise and told them that I'd get them into the lounge.
I wonder if the lounges receive more money per admission off an airline customer than a PP customer and/or they have some kind of agreement with the airlines they will only allow so many or no PP customers in during peak flight times. I've been at the Club at ATL and have seen them only allow contract airline passengers in and deny PP passengers or the Boardroom only allow their members in and deny PP passengers. It makes sense though, if I was a member of an airline club or flying on an expensive J ticket I would be pretty pissed off if I couldn't get in while someone with priority pass was getting in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.