Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
In the USA, Priority Pass memberships are bundled with a credit card. The card issuer provides a single paragraph touting the benefit in glowing terms, but if you are not satisfied the card issuer sends you to Priority Pass.

This isn't unique to lounge access, it happens with a host of outsourced benefits. It won't change unless we hold the card issuer responsible.
I wonder why they don't allow Americans to sign up with them directly.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder why they don't allow Americans to sign up with them directly.
There is no restriction, you can sign up for Priority Pass directly, but their pricing makes no sense for those of us that have access to US issued credit cards. I mean for example the membership plan that best matches the PP access provided by the Amex Plat or CSR they call their "Prestige" level and costs $399 per year and doesn't include 2 free guests. So you're financially better off and get a better product by not buying it directly.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mia
In the USA, Priority Pass memberships are bundled with a credit card. The card issuer provides a single paragraph touting the benefit in glowing terms, but if you are not satisfied the card issuer sends you to Priority Pass.

This isn't unique to lounge access, it happens with a host of outsourced benefits. It won't change unless we hold the card issuer responsible.
Sure, you can complain to your card issuer if you don't find the benefits competitive.

But what is the point of complaining to PP about lack of lounges? They are an intermediary that sells excess capacity at third-party lounges. They can't just demand that a lounge (restaurant, etc) join the program. Complaining to PP about the lack of lounges at a particular airport is analogous to complaining to Expedia because there weren't any hotel rooms available in a particular city.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have PP Select card via my AMEX Hilton CC. I just received my card with a new expiration date. In the attached letter they note: "You are entitled to 10 complimentary visits per year....You will automatically be charged $27...after your complimentary visit allocation is used." I don't recollect seeing this restriction before.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nrr
I have PP Select card via my AMEX Hilton CC. I just received my card with a new expiration date. In the attached letter they note: "You are entitled to 10 complimentary visits per year....You will automatically be charged $27...after your complimentary visit allocation is used." I don't recollect seeing this restriction before.
This is a question for AMEX, not PP.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nrr
I saw that restriction last year when I got the Amex Hilton. I leave that PP card at home and use the one I got from Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
BBB Responds

Originally Posted by mia
While Priority Pass has an office in Texas they are owned by an insurance company located in the United Kingdom. In any event, the Texas office does not respond to BBB complaints:

https://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-...no-tx-34000348
1. Seattle Times story Alaska Air cancels access at 3 lounges in Seattle September 1, 2018
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...-pass-members/

2. Wrong --- BBB did respond to Priority Pass issues complaint.
Of course PP just says they have contract and ignores issues on lounge access and quality like Minute Suites.
No planned changes, no statement of AS Lounge closures, just a general our web site shows our lounges enrolled.
At least it comes from the PP President.
What is very disappointing about PP if you have feedback about lounge like Minute Suites where you've stayed PP will NOT respond to a complaint unless there is a electronic charge. PP is making you prove access when the electronic system at Philadelphia to PP failed as no record of stay was on file PP claimed.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:37 pm

PP is almost worthless. Almost, still good internationally. I too got it through Amex Plat. One of the reason why I stopped using Southwest. Main reason being Southwest sucks, except for noobies. Got denied lounge access 4/6 times flying out of Atlanta. Mainly fly Delta now and use Delta lounges. If Delta lounges in ATL is like 5*, the PP lounge in F is about 2*. Quality is sooooo noticeable, it's not even funny. It's like comparing international lounges to domestic lounge.
euromannn likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I noted above a 10 visit cap--which does not cause problems, since I rarely use PP lounges; In LAS the Centurion Lounge closes at 11 PM, down the corridor the PP (The Club) is open until 12:30 AM--convenient if I I'm taking a 1 AM redeye. The Centurion Lounge has hot food until 10 PM, they have at most 5 types of beer, while The Club has 8+ beers.
PS: Due to over crowding in the LAS Centurion lounge they removed a lot of soft chairs and replaced them with unpadded chairs...so at times the comfort of seating at PP can surpass Cent.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
PP intl

Originally Posted by naps8906
PP is almost worthless. Almost, still good internationally. I too got it through Amex Plat. One of the reason why I stopped using Southwest. Main reason being Southwest sucks, except for noobies. Got denied lounge access 4/6 times flying out of Atlanta. Mainly fly Delta now and use Delta lounges. If Delta lounges in ATL is like 5*, the PP lounge in F is about 2*. Quality is sooooo noticeable, it's not even funny. It's like comparing international lounges to domestic lounge.
Where do you like PP internationally?
I liked Prague(Menzies-T1) - free showers, avg food; Munich - - free showers, avg food; Ho chi Minh (Le Saigon - Domestic) great buffet bar, nice; Bangkok (Miracle - ok, free showers)
Domestically US - Korean Air Lounge LAX(free showers, nice buffet), drinks,
George W Bush Lounge Houston - self serve bar lots of good booze, just snacks and salad.

Have you been to LHR PP lounges? which to do like in T2 and T3?

Last edited by euromannn; Aug 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by euromannn
1. Seattle Times story Alaska Air cancels access at 3 lounges in Seattle September 1, 2018
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...-pass-members/

2. Wrong --- BBB did respond to Priority Pass issues complaint.
Of course PP just says they have contract and ignores issues on lounge access and quality like Minute Suites.
No planned changes, no statement of AS Lounge closures, just a general our web site shows our lounges enrolled.
At least it comes from the PP President.
What is very disappointing about PP if you have feedback about lounge like Minute Suites where you've stayed PP will NOT respond to a complaint unless there is a electronic charge. PP is making you prove access when the electronic system at Philadelphia to PP failed as no record of stay was on file PP claimed.

OMG NOOOO that is one of my primary departing airport. This is unfortunate news for me..
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by naps8906
I generally agree with you. Pretty much the only time I use PP domestically is at airports where they have the restaurant options (DEN and MIA are my main stops). Most domestic PP lounges are so meh. I fully agree with you on the ATL one, even if they do let you in, it's pretty sad once you're in. I stopped in there a few months ago out of sheer boredom on a 4 hour layover. I had one drink and walked across to the SkyClub where I could get some real food. Drab, crowded, and minimal food. Travelling domestically I typically have better lounges at every turn, either DL or Centurion usually.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
....what is the point of complaining to PP about lack of lounges? They are an intermediary that sells excess capacity...
In the USA I do not think there is much point complaining directly to Priority Pass, because they have largely given up trying to sell memberships to consumers. There is more potential in telling American Express, Chase, Citi et.al. that this feature does not add much value to their cards, because the lounges are of uneven quality and often at capacity, etc.

The card issuers have the leverage to persuade Priority Pass to build more The Club at lounges, and to expand restaurant options at airports where lounges are often at capacity. We do not.

These solutions will not provide immediate relief. Building a lounge takes a year. Priority Pass needs utilization rate data on restaurants vs lounges to make sure their prices recover their costs. I understand why they want to roll out the restaurant program gradually.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by mia
In the USA I do not think there is much point complaining directly to Priority Pass, because they have largely given up trying to sell memberships to consumers. There is more potential in telling American Express, Chase, Citi et.al. that this feature does not add much value to their cards, because the lounges are of uneven quality and often at capacity, etc.

The card issuers have the leverage to persuade Priority Pass to build more The Club at lounges, and to expand restaurant options at airports where lounges are often at capacity. We do not.

These solutions will not provide immediate relief. Building a lounge takes a year. Priority Pass needs utilization rate data on restaurants vs lounges to make sure their prices recover their costs. I understand why they want to roll out the restaurant program gradually.

You're onto something here... makes sense to complain to the CC company. Priority pass don't care about YOU but they care if these big CC issuers walk and find alternatives to keep their customer happy.

On the same note, Once again I'm denied at LAX. I lucked out last time but this time, I'm on U class AS and it doesn't matter.

Lost count but I'm at something like a 10% entry rate which isn't very good. With Sea-Tac taken away here, that leaves me to no other available lounge to access on my routes but that once or twice a year that I do go through other airports.

Time to explore altneratives or cancel my CSR since it's no longer going to pay for itself.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
You're onto something here... makes sense to complain to the CC company. Priority pass don't care about YOU but they care if these big CC issuers walk and find alternatives to keep their customer happy.

On the same note, Once again I'm denied at LAX. I lucked out last time but this time, I'm on U class AS and it doesn't matter.

Lost count but I'm at something like a 10% entry rate which isn't very good. With Sea-Tac taken away here, that leaves me to no other available lounge to access on my routes but that once or twice a year that I do go through other airports.

Time to explore altneratives or cancel my CSR since it's no longer going to pay for itself.
If you want a credit card to access lounges just a couple times a year and not getting the value out of the CSR I would go with the Hilton Ascend. The annual fee is only $95 and it includes 10 priority pass visits a year and if you stay at Hilton will give you gold status which could pay for itself after a couple years with the free breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.